Original song: Out of Reach

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
I’m playing guitar and John Permenter is singing and playing fiddle. We recorded this song in about 1995, not long after I wrote it. John moved to England then Ireland and seems to play all over Europe.

I posted this song in the August songs on The Writer’s Block, but didn’t get much feedback. I’m trying to get ideas for a new demo.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
love the song. cool recording too, kind of a Roger Whitaker thing going on. I knew a woman who played marimbas and vibes and bells for Roger for about 5 years, so I heard a good bit of his music and liked it. I think that song has legs.. I'd like to hear it with a gallop to it and with a voice that was more ragged... maybe a ryan bingham type voice.

it is great as it is, but I always think of what I'd like to do to it...

I think I'd arrange it like the bingham tune and wring that minor key for all its worth!

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
love the song. cool recording too, kind of a Roger Whitaker thing going on. I knew a woman who played marimbas and vibes and bells for Roger for about 5 years, so I heard a good bit of his music and liked it. I think that song has legs.. I'd like to hear it with a gallop to it and with a voice that was more ragged... maybe a ryan bingham type voice.

it is great as it is, but I always think of what I'd like to do to it...

I think I'd arrange it like the bingham tune and wring that minor key for all its worth!

You’ve hit on a key problem. My guitar playing really doesn’t have the rhythmic drive that the song needs, though the fiddle helps it some.

chulaivet1966

Friend of Leo's
Howdy Harry....

Not a genre I listen to or write in.
But....I listened to it a couple of times and can recognize a well written, well performed song when I hear it.

It has a "Ghost Riders In The Skay" and Marty Robbins sort of vibe to it and very appealing to the aural receptors.
John has a great voice.
It's clean, controlled, not pitchy and performed with emotion.
I wish I could sing that well and hold notes on my original drivel.

Acoustic axe....
Your playing sounds fine but it's tonally buried.
I'd roll off some low mids on it.
To start...maybe use a 10 band graphic EQ and experiment in the 200-500 HZ range and cut by a db or so at most.
Don't add highs/cut the lows.
I can't hear it well enough on this recording to comment further so we need to bring it forward with some EQ'ing.
A tracks volume is not always the answer. :)

We can discuss trap set/percussion thoughts later. :)
I need to hear a more balanced mix frequency wise.

This is a good, expressive song and I like it.
I'm reminded of "Ghost Riders In The Sky" and a Marty Robbins vibe to it.

That's my take Harry.
Good luck with your music endeavors.

Last edited:

Rene Asologuitar

Tele-Holic
Hi Harry,
Lovely western music, and I can clearly hear the cowboys!
Your vocals has great clarity, and you can really tell a story.
And this song has wonderful lyrics.
Well done.
Rene

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
That voice sells it well, total match. His vocal pitch is very spot on. The song is well written. Have you considered a bit of percussion? I hear some Morracas, shaker, clavas (is that what the round rosewood things are called?) something genre appropriate.
Song style is not in my wheelhouse so giant grains of salt with my observations!!! I liked it!!

FortyEight

Friend of Leo's
I meeeeeean, yeah it might not be a 2022 recording but that doesnt bother me. The playing and singing are stellar. BEAUTIFUL. I thought it moved real good.

thats one u can be suuuuuuper proud of. Fantastic. i mean, your guitar picking is incredibly good. his fiddle is super smooth. and he can sing. but i mean theres feeling in it too. thats the dangerous combo that is not common. the heart comes through the stellar skill.