Original Snakehead neck/pocket details?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Telekarster, Mar 26, 2020 at 11:50 AM.

1. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Hey all, So.... I'm in the process of building a snakehead and I'm trying to stay as historically accurate as possible to the original prototype. Does anyone have any detailed picks of the body join with the neck and/or know the answer to my question? My question is - Did the original prototype have the "neck lip" over the pocket/body, or was it flush as early 50's TC's were?

I've looked all over the place online for detail pics of the original, but I can't find anything other than full guitar pics but taken too far away to zoom in on, with any clarity.... I'd like to see what was done on the original 49 if possible. Thanks in advance for your help!

dan1952 likes this.
  2. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

What is this "neck lip" of which you speak?

crazydave911 likes this.
  3. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

So.... the neck I have is a modern copy by an unknown MFG, and it has a "lip" at the end of the neck where the truss rod is that would extend over the pocket, towards the bridge, about 3/8". I can easily cut that off, if the original 49 didn't have that feature, but not sure. I know early 50's Tele's didn't have this lip, nor did strats, but the pickguard covers the "gap". In this case, the pickguard does not go around the neck etc. so a gap would be present IF the "lip" were not there. I'm OK with that, if it's historically correct, but I can't find any picks to confirm/deny this. Thanks for your question!

4. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Sounds like a 22 fret neck. I have one of those on my first partscaster from Warmoth. I doubt those were around in 49.

fenderchamp likes this.
  5. Masmus

Masmus TDPRI Member

Be careful when talking about the "lip" on an early Fender. A "lip" when talking about an early Esquire or Broadcaster refers specifically to the side of the neck pocket closest to the lower bout extending a little farther past the side of the neck where it's attached. The fretboard extension is something that didn't show up until decades later.

fenderchamp and crazydave911 like this.
  6. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Fredboard extension - That's it! Thanks for the verbiage... I didn't know exactly what to call it :) Ok, thanks. That's what I thought but also thought maybe someone might remember that little detail, if they'd ever seen the original 49, or perhaps had some pics they took etc. Appreciate the feedback all!

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Thanks for the reply. It is in fact a 21 fret neck, but has the fretboard extention for some reason... mix of era's I guess?

8. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

No fretboard extension until the 22 fret Am Std models.

crazydave911 and Telekarster like this.
  9. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Thanks Man! That's what I needed confirmation on. Much appreciated! Off I go ;) When I'm done I'll post the pics of the process. Hope it turns out like I plan!

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Weren't the originals fitted with one-piece maple necks :) ?

No fret-board overhang because they were one-piece and did not have a separate fret-board.

As far as a neck or body projection (or lip) along the treble side of the pocket goes, I would think Fenders original intent was to make that interface as smooth and comfortable as possible.

Any lip that did or didn't show up was just a manufacturing tolerance.

Maybe, there is a real question we should ask ourselves when building a "historically accurate replica"; which particular guitar are we going to replicate?

Is it going to be one that had a fat lip, or is it going to be one with no lip at all ;)?

When I build a Tele, I try my best to build it like they would have done on a good day in the old Fender factory :).

A day when things were going good and operating smoothly, when the workers were on their toes and had time to attend to the details and get things right and turn out a superior guitar.

I have Nacho's BlackGuard book and there are lot's of good photos and a ton of information on the early Fenders. I try to pick out what I think are the best aspects of the individual guitars and then combine them into one good guitar.

I'd guess that's what the Fender Custom shop does when they have one individual build the complete guitar.

I'm certainly not saying that my work is on a par with the Master Builders, but that is definitely my goal; that's what I'm striving toward :).

RodeoTex, crazydave911 and RogerC like this.
  11. Masmus

Masmus TDPRI Member

i'm familiar with Broadcasters but the Snake Head is unique and I don't know enough about it to say weather or not it has a lip.

12. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

It does NOT :)

Telekarster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.