Original Paisley & Blue Flower Tele Appreciation Thread

Stratocast

Tele-Holic
View attachment 1029948 At my usual Saturday afternoon hang out at my local store I was shown some vintage brochures just picked up. This is a 1968 price list. If I ever get my time machine working I won’t get greedy but will pick up a Paisley and/or a Blue Floral.
I’m with you. I have a pink paisley 3 bolt strat but I would love to get a floral blue one to match it. I would love to go back to those days and buy about 6 used Strats like Clapton did for about 100.00 each…. back then. I might even give a couple away like he did. Then I’d go back and buy more.

Stratocast

Tele-Holic
Hardly ever see original blue flower teles for sale and when they do surface they are usually in poor condition
I read somewhere people in the 1970's didn't think twice about stripping these guitars to re-finish them because they looked effeminate true or not what a bad move that was
Yeah. I’ll bet a lot of those who may have repainted their paisley ones are wishing they hadn’t now. So sad.

Stratocast

Tele-Holic
Not that it matters in the big scheme of things, but this official Fender price list uses the terms Paisley and "Floral" to describe the finish options.

Therefore, "Floral" and "Flower" were both used in official Fender terminology back then. Everybody wins. :)
But only pertaining to the blue ones ? Cuz my pink paisley is not so much floral as it is swirled. Or did they make a floral patterned pink one as well ?

Stratocast

Tele-Holic
The Tele in my avatar was a pink paisley. Within days of buying it (1974), I stripped it. I've seen them selling for over $10,000 . . . Oops!
Well don’t feel too bad. Back in ‘74 I bought a 65 Mustang at a used guitar shop for about 75 bucks. It was in a sunburst finished. I did not like the color so I spray painted over it with a maroon colored paint. When I took it back to the guitar shop I bought it from to have some fretwork done later the guy who sold it to me said What did you do to this guitar ? You ruined it ! “. I never painted any guitars after that.

Stratocast

Tele-Holic
Good point, the case was nearly $60 while the guitar was only $279, that is one really expensive case! And based on the guitars today, it seems most people bought a case.

I don't know much about reissues, except to say those new Custom shop models look really good, definitely the most accurate looking production reissue of these guitars yet. They even have the maple cap neck, as a '68 reissue.

Without reading the spec sheets, I would venture a guess that Custom Shop duplicated all aspects of these guitars except for the 1-meg tone pot, which is considered excessively trebly by many people. I just roll back the tone knob about halfway and it's perfect for my needs.
Back in the 70’s my first guitars were pawn shop specials and many did not come with cases. I did a lot of transporting guitars around back then with no case. And I walked with them many places slung over my shoulder. I did Not start buying cases with guitar purchases until I bought my first used strat back in ‘91. Still have them both. I think the case …used ..,was only about 29 dollars or so for the hard shell case

Stratocast

Tele-Holic
Out of the many Telecaster variations, the original Paisley and Blue Flower models of 1968-1969 are some of my favorite.

On top of being spectacular players (like most late 60s Teles), I love the quirky story of these guitars - how Fender decided to capitalize on the psychedelic "Summer of Love" by putting the wildest possible finish on their most conservative model. No wonder they weren't popular at the time!

Consequently, these were only offered for about one year so they are sort of rare in the world of vintage Fenders.

I'm fortunate enough to own an example of each color, both '68 maple cap necks with plenty of wear.

If you have one of these guitars, share it here!
View attachment 1028290

View attachment 1028291
We’re the edges of the pink paisley normally gold ?

Stratocast

Tele-Holic
Love this thread. These are all gorgeous.

I settled for a reissue pink because I knew I’d never get an original. I put a bigsby on it (vibramate, not drilled), and will post pics over in the bigsby-tele thread.
I had a Bigsby screwed in to a guitar once it was done professionally and turned out very well …but the guitar was a Squier Tele. And NOT a paisley one. So I understand your apprehension.

Highnumbers

TDPRI Member
We’re the edges of the pink paisley normally gold ?

The edges of the "Paisley Red" models (which were, of course, actually pink) were the same hot pink color as the rest of the guitar. However, the sides rarely face direct sunlight for extended periods of time and as a result most of these guitars are still pink on the edges, while the front and/or back has faded the pink out to gold.

Highnumbers

TDPRI Member
But only pertaining to the blue ones ? Cuz my pink paisley is not so much floral as it is swirled. Or did they make a floral patterned pink one as well ?

Do you have an original late 60s model?

If we're talking original examples (as we should, given the focus of this subforum), Fender only made the two models I posted earlier. A "Paisley Red" model in hot pink/"paisly" pattern (as Fender described it), and "Blue Flower" which is a blue color with floral pattern.

Fender never made a floral patterned pink guitar, or a blue paisley in the 1960s.

Stratocast

Tele-Holic
The edges of the "Paisley Red" models (which were, of course, actually pink) were the same hot pink color as the rest of the guitar. However, the sides rarely face direct sunlight for extended periods of time and as a result most of these guitars are still pink on the edges, while the front and/or back has faded the pink out to gold.
I did not realize this... so direct sunlight can cause paisley guitars like that pink one to lose some of their pink color tone due to fading?.. I have never played my paisley one outside... I am glad I didn't since you mentioned that this happens...

Last edited:

Stratocast

Tele-Holic
Do you have an original late 60s model?

If we're talking original examples (as we should, given the focus of this subforum), Fender only made the two models I posted earlier. A "Paisley Red" model in hot pink/"paisly" pattern (as Fender described it), and "Blue Flower" which is a blue color with floral pattern.

Fender never made a floral patterned pink guitar, or a blue paisley in the 1960s.
well from what I have gathered on this forum... my pink paisley strat..Must be between the years.. 1984-1987... so... No... it is not an original paisley from the 60's.. yet.. it has the pink paisley swirl pattern to it.. And since as you said they did Not make a pink floral one... I guess I'm ok... now to have a matching set I just need to get a 3 bolt.. bullet truss rod. blue floral strat then I'd be happy...

Highnumbers

TDPRI Member
well from what I have gathered on this forum... my pink paisley strat..Must be between the years.. 1984-1987... so... No... it is not an original paisley from the 60's.. yet.. it has the pink paisley swirl pattern to it.. And since as you said they did Not make a pink floral one... I guess I'm ok... now to have a matching set I just need to get a 3 bolt.. bullet truss rod. blue floral strat then I'd be happy...

I don't know too much about reissues in general, apart from Fender not making a pink floral patterned guitar but these days maybe that can be custom ordered. Not sure, I just focus on the old guitars.

Don't worry about taking your Paisley Strat into direct sunlight, it won't fade to gold like the original guitars did. The entire finish system on the reissues is different (heavy polyester), and UV resistant.

Stratocast

Tele-Holic
I don't know too much about reissues in general, apart from Fender not making a pink floral patterned guitar but these days maybe that can be custom ordered. Not sure, I just focus on the old guitars.

Don't worry about taking your Paisley Strat into direct sunlight, it won't fade to gold like the original guitars did. The entire finish system on the reissues is different (heavy polyester), and UV resistant.
K thanks.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter

K thanks.
I have seen some newer ones 80’s early 90’s strats that almost look orangish, I don’t know if it’s from UV or not though..

Stratocast

Tele-Holic
hmmm I wonder..? well at least mine still looks pink... its the only pink looking strat I own besides my "hello kitty".. strat ...I just HAD to have one of those... they are becoming extinct... nowadays.. it's hard to find one in decent shape at a decent price.... my next buy?..
a shell pink squier....OFF SET strat... those look pretty cool to me and they're affordable...never played one though... I am sure I will need to go thru the set up on it...IF I get one.....