1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Original Hot Rod '52 Humbucker?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by PJ55, Feb 8, 2014.

1. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Does anyone know what Duncan Mini Humbucker model shipped in the original Hot Rod '52? I know there are a few SD versions of this pickup type and I'd like to run the original Hot Rod electronics in one of my Teles. Thanks guys!

2. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

I believe it was the vintage model.

3. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

It's the vintage, SM-1.

4. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Specifically it is the SM-1N (N for Neck). It will also be out of phase with any Fender bridge pickup apart from the one specifically issued with the OV 52 Hotrod.

5. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Chez...that's good to know. Thanks for that. I wonder if there's a reverse polarity bridge pickup from SD that would work for this application.

6. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Any Seymour Duncan bridge pu should be in phase with the SM-1N. They follow the Gibson arrangement and thus are all out of phase with Fender pickups.

You don't need to buy a new bridge PU however. You can change the phase of a Fender bridge pu by.... 1 Snipping the shortwire soldered to the base plate if it has one and running a separate ground to the baseplate or bridge. 2 Reversing the coil pu connecting wires so that black goes to the switch and white goes to ground eg the back of a pot.

7. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

I just did this recently. I have a Kent Armstrong Firebird neck pup and a Lawrence L-200TL Bridge pup with stock controls. Happy Camper am I.

8. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

Also did this recently! One on the left is a Squire Affinity that I "Hot Rodded" with a Kent Armstrong Firebird pickup in the neck and Squier CV '50's A3 Bridge pickup. I traded the Affinity for a Hamer XT Sunburst recently. The one on the right is staying in my collection. It's a partscaster I put together with a Duncan SM-1 in the neck and Duncan Broadcaster in the bridge. Perfect match IMHO. I did a video on youtube to compare the two teles. The one with the Duncans had just a bit rounder tone, but the Affinity certainly held its own for the price point.

[​IMG]

9. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

SD Broadcaster is a great match for the SM-1N, Fender uses 375k Alpha pots..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.