Original design vs Standard design

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mbechmann, Feb 21, 2017.

Original or standard design?

1. Guitarist - Original design

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  2. Guitarist - Standard design

15 vote(s)
    53.6%
  3. Bassist - Original design

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  4. Bassist - Standard design

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Mbechmann

Mbechmann Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Not sure if this should be posted here or in the builders forum. But I think posting it here will give a more general feedback.

So here we go:
    I was talking to a friend of mine about the pros and cons about original designed instruments. As a builder, I like to build my own designs. Sometimes its inspired by a standard design like a Tele, Strat or LP. But I really enjoy building something completely new.

Thats when my friend mentioned that that was normal since I was a bass player. Bass players tend to go for the original designs, where guitarist tend to go for standard designs. The more I thought about it, the more it seems like he is correct.

So here is the question. Do you like original designs or standard designs the best + are you mainly a guitarist or a bass player?

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I think std design because they are tried and true to me...and I am lazy
    However, that said, I have seen some modern ones that look sort of cool.
    And Yes, bass players have more options.
    modern2.jpg

Toto'sDad, tery and Mbechmann like this.
  3. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm a fence sitter when it comes to this question. I like both standard and original. I don't play bass, although I have fooled around on a friend's bass.

Mbechmann likes this.
  4. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Oh, just look at the mess people get into with 'tone wood' and the years of marketing classic guitar shapes that people fight each other over in forums every day. Buyers clamor for this old stuff; they skewer the big factory manufacturers if they deviate from designs even to fix inherent design flaws like Gibson's weak headstocks.

I think we're stuck with standard designs until a new famous player gets all the kids to demand:
    Local fast renewable materials not rain forest lumber
    Change in pickups and controls performance
    Easy playability from the factory on all guitars, not relying on the music shop/dealer to finish the setups or level frets.
    Ergonomic and fun shapes

Look at how that Frankenstrat changed what the kids wanted in vibratos. Hendrix got the kids playing Strats. Angus has kept the kids playing SGs in spite of the neck dive. All those kids are old now. Who is creating the demand for something new today?

Mbechmann likes this.
  5. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

I'm old. Standard means original to me.
    I guess you mean in the 'Fender context', but it makes my head hurt.
    Also I find bassists customize more than guitarists, often having either high end or custom order instruments.

Mbechmann and jackinjax like this.
  6. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I am a traditionalist .

Mbechmann and Grux like this.
  7. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Same here. I'm confused on the comparison here. :confused:

Mbechmann likes this.
  8. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

'I'm Gumby, dammit'?

Mbechmann likes this.
  9. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I thought it was a partially digested Pepto-Bismol lozenge.

Mbechmann likes this.
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It'd take a lot of nerve to go in that cage with one them dandies, in a redneck bar.

Mbechmann likes this.
  11. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

For better or worse i like the classics. The are a few cool off the wall guitars but its just not for me.

Mbechmann likes this.
  12. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

On the fence.

The vintage shapes are familiar, but have been around too long to get anyone too excited about them.

Original designs, in my opinion, can be very polarizing. People will either love them or hate them.

After playing around with shapes a bit on paper, I've concluded that original is challenging. I have 3 or 4 "Dud-casters" sketched out on my workbench.

Mbechmann likes this.
  13. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I think that's a fair assumption, most guitarists are like look at my vintage tele/strat/les paul/explorer/anything else you can think of (fender/gibson) and my tube amp... for those who can afford them that is. Where as I think it's more common for to see a bassist on something more unusual like a rickenbacker, hoftner, headless and more obscure designs and then you get things that look completely custom with neck through designs and forget the tubes get me a solid state.

I think it's because electric guitars worked very well from the start where as bass not so much. Guitarists want vintage bassmans not the bassists and I think that says a lot. I also think wieght in both guitars and amps, bassists need a lot more power to keep up with guitarists so if you want a powerful tube amp for your bass it's going to need like 10 tubes (expensive maintenance) and it'll weigh a tonne. Bass guitars are also on the heavy side so desining something lighter was probably more appealing.

I know there are exceptions, people like Steve Via, Joe Satriani who play other instruments based on classics and of course you have metaheads with there EMG active electronics and crazy shapes and unradiused edges.

Personally I voted original designs especially if I'm the one who's going to build it, why have something availble on the market when you can go custom.

Mbechmann likes this.
  14. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Can we see the dudcasters, I've only ever came up with one body shape but I'm happy with it. (it's in the signature)

Mbechmann likes this.
  15. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

My budget has usually limited me to traditional designs. I've owned a couple of Strat shapes, two Tele shapes, and two Les Paul shapes. However, my favourite guitar is an original design by John Kingma. I also love the designs of John Backlund.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I really like PRS guitars. Would their double-cutaway shapes be considered "standard"? How about the Mira?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    Mbechmann likes this.
  16. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

You know, I just noted that.:) I am color blind, but, I think that has an interesting color now that I looke at it. I just liked the sound hole and tele arrangement..lol

Mbechmann likes this.
  17. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ever since I got my first Tele in 1971 I've never wanted to play anything else.

Mbechmann likes this.
  18. reddesert

reddesert Tele-Meister

Bassist attitudes seem to include both a greater dominance of a single manufacturer and model (Fender, Precision bass) than guitarists, and openness to a wider variety of shapes and configurations (Ricks, violin basses, coffee table basses, active electronics, 5 and 6 strings). If you go on bass forums there will be plenty of people saying that you can play anything with a 4-string Precision and that 75% of all recorded bass is a Precision, or that they can't imagine playing without the 5th string. Sometimes the same people might say both.

Which is to say that the "Leo got it right the first time" is strong in bass, but also that there's variation from traditionalism. Possibly because bassists play in a wide variety of genres? Coffee table basses are more likely to show up in jazz fusion than alt-country ...

On amplifiers, I think you are certainly correct, early bass amps and cabs had a hard time keeping up and bassists are more open to solid state amps, new design efficient speakers and cabs, etc, for reasons of practicality. Plus many bassists don't need a lot of screaming tube breakup/distortion.

Mbechmann likes this.
  19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

As a retired product design engineer and arguably a guitarist, I have considered building a guitar often, but it would have to be as much original design than anything else. I really enjoy seeing the creative original designs by TDPRIers. Now, my wife the bass player does not have any "design" in her blood whatsoever, so I'm thinkin' the Op's theory is full of wood filler.

Mbechmann likes this.
  20. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Generally. I prefer traditional designs, but it hasn't stopped me from designing and building one of my own.

PType231.jpg

PType232.jpg

PType235.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.