Original 51 NoCaster advice wanted

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Twisted Kerle, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Twisted Kerle

Twisted Kerle Tele-Meister

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    A few of the wiring...

aland1505 and CharlotteTele like this.
  2. Twisted Kerle

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BorderRadio and CharlotteTele like this.
  3. Twisted Kerle

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And here is Dan playing Gpa's NoCaster, and a few shots of the ashtray. (and my belt buckle acar)

t guitar floyd and CharlotteTele like this.
  4. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

It looks great! Apparently the "cough syrup" stain wasn't as obstinate as you thought. I see he left a hint of it, just enough IMO.

Don't worry about the frets; often dents in frets have a way of balancing out along the neck so that there's no buzzing, regardless of what they look like. My first Tele could have used a refret the day I bought it, but I played it for seventeen years before I had it done.

Twisted Kerle likes this.
  5. Sea Devil

And when he says they're fine, he may mean that he gave them a light dressing, but they don't need to be replaced.

6. Sea Devil

I see he also left most of your grandpa's excessive solder on the back of the pots. The value of that is debatable from the standpoint of functionality, but probably a good idea in this case.

7. CharlotteTele

CharlotteTele TDPRI Member

It actually shines a little now :)

8. Twisted Kerle

OK, quick update.
    It is the tone pot that might have a broken base plate. It is very loose I am told.
    As for the neck pickup issue, He is not sure if it as a connection problem in the switch, (forward pos) or if the (external) capacitor is history, but the transistor should still be good. He is checking today & should have an answer in a few hours.
    Dan said the pots didn't have a date on them... Should they have a code still? Or did they start that the next year?
    He said he did polish the frets, and that was all. Because of the 3rd fret, a full leveling wouldn't really be feasible... Sorry folks... This time he said it, not me.
    As for originality. Dan says we are definitely above 80%, could be over 90%. That Is still an estimate, of course.
    More later... Thanks for following along.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  9. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

Those Stackpole pots have the date/manufacturers code hidden under that blob of solder. Look at the pics in this auction:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1950-1951-Fe...505991?hash=item210c2276c7:g:jeIAAOSwBnVW8e2E

It is strictly speaking not a tone pot but a blender pot that you could leave on 10 all the time. Pots can also sometimes be repaired by a skilled person and for the blend pot a broken carbon track is no a big problem IMO. Another option (if you must fix it) is to replace just the base of the pot. Pots for 1950/1951 regularly turn up on ebay, as these parts can easily be taken from Champion lapsteel guitars, which are far more common. If the cap is broken you would still get a decent sound in the forward position BTW, as the signal is never intended to pass through the cap in this circuit. Do you have a picture of the resistor that's in there on the other side of the switch?

I would forget about an overall originality percentage, it is a rather meaningless figure I think. Issues such as a partly missing finish are always individually addressed in appraisals. All issues are clear meanwhile, aren't they?

The resistance of the bridge pickup would still be very interesting to know..

Have you seen this page: http://www.guitarhq.com/51tele.html ?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  10. Twisted Kerle

Quick update
    Cap is fine.
    Switch connection is suspected culprit.
    Neck pickup just not putting out the volume he would like. Also cuts out once in a while.
    The levels on pickups... Got em. 7.09 on new neck pickup and 6.48 on the bridge pickup.
    Looks like I pick it up this weekend. [emoji41]

rebelwoclue likes this.
  11. tonyboy

tonyboy TDPRI Member

Well done Twisted. Good luck and play it in good health.

12. Rasher

Rasher Tele-Meister

A real Nocaster is a special thing, but for that to be your late Grandpa's guitar, that's brought a tear to my eye. That is a wonderful thing. God bless both of you.

13. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Tele-Meister

Let me just thank you for allowing us all to come along on this journey. It is wonderful watching your grandpa's guitar being brought back to life. This really is one of those once in a lifetime threads - the care and respect being shown to this wonderful keepsake is a testament to you and your luthier. Hats off to you both.

14. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Indeed and in fact! That is truly one beautiful guitar and I have enjoyed this vicarious ride. :)

Twisted Kerle, VITele and pdcorlis like this.
  15. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm sure this is already covered here, but I haven't read every single post (yet). If the wiring is still the way it was originally (Broadcaster blend wiring) the forward position of the switch is substantially quieter and darker sounding. The middle position, if that is sounding loud and clear, is the neck pickup on its own, and then the bridge pickup with the blend control fully clockwise (tone control on later wiring) is the bridge pickup only, and then as the blend control is turned anti-clockwise it brings in more of the neck pickup, until they are both on together.

Anyway, this is a beautiful old guitar!!

16. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Thanks for a great thread. Enjoy that special tele!

17. Twisted Kerle

Ron Garson, thank you. I knew about the switch, but didn't know about it being a blend instead of tone. (you'd think I'd know that... Sigh) That would definitely explain why it is so loose and well used. Thanks again for info.
    Speaking of info... Thanks Antoon for the parts references, if that doesn't help me, it sure could someone else down the line. Yeah I know about that site. I have it almost memorized... Grin. I believe I posted a link as well.

Much thanks to those following along. I'm glad you enjoy the pictures & story. My Gpa would get a real kick out of all the excitement over his old guitar.
    I will post more pictures and will try to get a video/sound clip posted as well. (also catch up from the past few day... Sorry, been busy).
    It has been an adventure getting Gpa's NoCaster up and playing again. From travel, finding a luthier, starting my first guitar thread, second guessing myself a bit, to getting the paperwork and having it actually playable again.
    Even managed to pick up an ashtray, amp and a new case for it along the way.
    Thanks again to all, it has been special to bring my family guitar back to life, & I'm glad to share.

Now I just need to find a ride to go get it... What are you doing this Saturday? I'll let you play my guitar...

Personal note... I think it is quite poetical and appropriate that Gpa's NoCasters rebirth day just so happened to be 4/20... [emoji41] Rock in Peace Gpa.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    Ron Garson likes this.
  18. Bluebird

Bluebird TDPRI Member

I'm in Nova Scotia but would love to swing by and take you to pick that baby up ;)

19. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the pickup reading Twisted. Interesting, 6.48k is blackguard telecaster spec I would say, not Broadcaster spec. Yours is one of the later Nocasters, isn't it? It also has the diagonal routing so that all makes sense.

20. Twisted Kerle

Birthday is 5/17/51. Definitely late in the game. Cool, thanks for info. What was other routing for Nocasters? Can you post a pic? Just wondering...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.