Original 51 NoCaster advice wanted

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Twisted Kerle, Feb 2, 2016.

1. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Finally caught up in this thread. How timely. I've been spending hours a night going over The Blackguard book.

I think I know what finish is going on my Esquire build now. ;)

He wasn't saying. Guess he's had some strange looky loo's earlier.

Congrats on the guitar though.

2. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

If you are a member of, or join, the "Telecaster Group" on Facebook, you can see what's going on with this guitar.

Twisted Kerle likes this.
  3. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

No Facebook here. Can you post a link?

bender66 likes this.
  4. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

I could but i believe a link to a regular FB page will not work for you if you're not a FB member, and you cant see Group threads (like this one in the Telecaster Group) without being a member of the group. I'm no FB pro by any means, but I think thats the way it works.

5. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I belong to that group , but I don't see any mention of this '51. Can you provide a link?

6. KDAD

KDAD Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I am not a member but was able to see it yesterday...don't see it today.

They said the pickup was going to Jason Lollar, and the doc, when asked if it was this same guitar, said that no, it was his.

But it was fairly well established that it was indeed the same guitar.

7. Henfield Tele

Henfield Tele Tele-Holic

image.png
    I was the one who originally suggested it might be the same guitar, at first he said no but it conclusively is the one!
    Same serial numbers and marks etc.
    Not sure why he says it's not worth much money, unless he's taking the p@!?!
    Link to Feb page, might work...
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/172423852946356/permalink/444872199034852/

8. Twisted Kerle

Twisted Kerle Tele-Meister

Yes, that is Gpa's NoCaster. It went to Dan Wilson at allstar guitar, as recommended by Fender. I don't have much time at the moment, just wanted to clear that up. A better update is coming.

bender66 and Ron Garson like this.
  9. Tremade

Tremade Tele-Holic

Have been reading since you posted this thread! Thanks for sharing such a nice piece of instrument and stories. Much appreciated!

10. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I think it's some real BS that the repair dude posted about this. The OP seemed to do everything possible to not say where the guitar went out of fear for its safety. And his comment about the worth and condition is more than suspicious, makes me think he has some buyers lined up and will make the OP a low ball offer and then re-sell it for a nice profit. Beware OP, beware.

Twisted Kerle and MickM like this.
  11. Henfield Tele

Henfield Tele Tele-Holic

I agree, this is a great of history and I hope he OP realises what he has. I was hoping the repair guy was joking, but I'd be very wary after that comment!

Twisted Kerle and MickM like this.
  12. tjh5207

tjh5207 TDPRI Member

The repair guy also commented on one of the photos and said the nocaster had a mahogany truss rod plug. That is wrong, it is Walnut. Many red flags!!!

Bones likes this.
  13. Twisted Kerle

Update time.
    Yes, the pickup is being sent to Jason Lollar pickups to be rewound. Mr. Lollar was nice enough to say he would do the work himself.
    The pickup tabs where cut/ground off. The tabs them selves are (apparently) still in there. Dan says this might help in the fix, but doesn't know yet.
    Dan will replace the plastic coated wires inside the body with cloth.
    The cleanup itself is going well.
    There is some pitting in hardware, but nothing damaging.
    As for the neck measurements... Right now we are pricing out a full 3D laser & computer rendering of the whole guitar. (is this going to far?) I will post more on that later.
    I wanted to post some before and after pics for you, but that kinda got spoiled. Here are the pictures that were posted on Facebook.

I have another post about that whole thing coming. I just want to make sure I word it right. Thank you for your patience.

FB_IMG_1459106050620.jpg FB_IMG_1459106030807.jpg FB_IMG_1459106041204~01.jpg FB_IMG_1459106057651.jpg

14. Twisted Kerle

OK... Am I upset that he posted about my guitar when we agreed to keep its location quite? Yes. Am I disappointed Facebook got pictures before my email? Yes. Are these deal breakers? Not really. He made a mistake. One that I am sure we can smooth over & he won't make again. He never mentioned my name, and I'm sure had no idea Gpa's NoCaster was (reasonably) well known.
    I looked at the two posts about gpas guitar. Dan never said it was his, that was a 2nd Dan Wilson just joking around. He did say that he didn't think it was the guitar on TDPRI. However, I couldn't find a denile.
    At one point he says to a friend I'm going to give the guitar to my 6 year old so he can learn to play. I did say it was getting put in my son's lap like it was put in mine, but he is twice that old and it is SO not his learner... Get upset? No... It was an exaggeration for humor between friends.
    As for the mahogany plug... I like to call the nut a bridge, the saddles are barrels and let's not forget my alder/ash typo... I'm reasonably sure that was a slip.

I wish to thank and applaud the members of TDPRI. This could have very easy turned into an ugly troll filled bashing on Mr. Wilson. (and on other sites it very well might have) I was informed as to what was going on, links where provided and even those who replied, did it well & respectfully. Things like that are why TDPRI is the one Tele forum I belong to. Props to all... TDPRI is the best because of you.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    bender66 likes this.
  15. Twisted Kerle

Been going through my notes here & I have a question.
    When I first dropped the guitar off, I asked if the fender decal was silver or gold. Dan told me a collector told him there was no value or collectability difference between the two colors. That doesn't jive with my own studies so I'll ask you. Is the gold label much rarer than the silver?

16. Twisted Kerle

The one part of the post that I don't really understand is the high originality percentage that seems to be happening, and yet low value...
    To be honest the monetary value placed on it doesn't seem to matter much. (besides, it's not for sale.) That fluctuates with availability and demand. The originality percentage however, is what sets the bar. From expert to doc to collector, that's the number people look at.

Am I wrong on this?

PS... Earlier when I was discussing originality with him & he said 30 to 40% & I thought it was low... He was talking finish %, and I was thinking guitar %. Whoops... My bad

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  17. Twisted Kerle

Personal comment... Wife headed back to Alaska after a fun filled visit. Now that I have a bit more time, I will try to re read the thread and get to some of the posts I missed. Thanks for watching...

18. Slipperyfish

Slipperyfish TDPRI Member

IMO you are not wrong. If its all original its money! If its not what would kill its percentage? a different neck or different body. Finish is a bit off the top as well, but not dragging it down to 30%! The next is the condition of the guitar. We have to take in mind and care that this is a really old guitar that was played, one that is the same but near mint and all original is obviously the true holly grail. However find me one! not going to happen I'm sure there are a few around collecting dust under someones bed but realistically its a rare beast and a player used guitar like this will still dictate interest and interest is money. The big downer for me is the pickups. I mean a quality tech will bring them back but the old Fenders really had a unique system and select wire and some people will tell you that the magic sound is in the pickups. Again no insult here the guitar is simply amazing! and even with a rewire job the guitar is so great! People have done crazy things to these guitars like whammy bars whacky neon colours a rewire is not the big of a deal considering all things.

19. Twisted Kerle

Hey bender66... If your done with the blackguard book, can I barrow it... PLEASE...

What finish ya going to put on your Esquire? I'm keeping Gpa's two tone spilt drink and nicotine finish with custom dirt flaking. It holds up to abuse well & I highly recommend it.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    El Tele Lobo and bender66 like this.
  20. Twisted Kerle

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.