Original 51 NoCaster advice wanted

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Twisted Kerle, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Lupo

Lupo Tele-Holic

I am wondering as well.... it would be nice to see some pictures of the neck pocket etc...

2. Twisted Kerle

Twisted Kerle Tele-Meister

Sorry guys... been busy. Appointment had to be bumped back. Looking like the 12th now. Between ferry schedules being sideways & a Blowout on the highway we just couldn't make it.

No worries guys, if it's better or worse, right or wrong I will post pics and answer more questions.

Lupo, you get the Eagle eye award away from Slipperyfish... There is something there but can't tell if it's a seam yet. If it is it goes under the control panel and they did an awsome job matching grain up. Good eyes!

3. Twisted Kerle

Not a shtick, and not for sale. I'm just sharing... However, everyone is in titled.
    Luckily I know a stewardess who took care of it for me. We where never far apart. Guitar got a better/safer seat than I did... Grin. If our flights didn't line up, buying a second seat for it was an idea tho.
    A better case is very much on my to do list. Have you seen the one I got...
    No PFD this year, been gone to long... Sigh.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  4. Slipperyfish

Slipperyfish TDPRI Member

It seems like a strange spot to join two peices of wood on a guitar. I don't believe it was common for Fender to join them at that lower section. Possible? Yes I suppose but Almost all guitars from fender old and new I have seen the join is more toward the middle of the guitar. Perhaps twisted's guitar wood was almost a one peice and they used the remainder small peice to join from the same tree. Interesting but still think it just may be a rare one peice without more detail provided.

5. sonicdom

sonicdom Tele-Meister

it is actually quite common. you'd think my '52 is a one piece. but there is a seam well to the bass side, and they added just about an .8 of an inch of wood to the bass side of the guitar. i've also seen a 3 piece '53 with 2 bigger pieces and a tiny bit (less than half an inch) added underneath the control plate. I also once had '57 that was a two piece with a tiny second piece at the edge.

Twisted Kerle and tjh5207 like this.
  6. Slipperyfish

Wow .8 inch is crazy little amount of wood to add but I guess to make it a two rather then a three it was worth their time. All the Fenders I have owned maybe 12 in total they have all been quite consistent in where they glue the wood but maybe its just a coincidence. The real old vintage ones are two piece arragnmenets one is Ash Tele and the other Strat is an Alder. Never that low.

7. Twisted Kerle

Here are the first shots... IMG_20160312_142656.jpg IMG_20160312_142741.jpg IMG_20160312_144225.jpg IMG_20160312_144240.jpg

El Tele Lobo, MadRocker and bender66 like this.
  8. Twisted Kerle

A few more shots... Will respond more later... Just wanted to send these out. IMG_20160312_143734.jpg IMG_20160312_143835.jpg IMG_20160312_142800.jpg

9. Bluebird

Bluebird TDPRI Member

My gott, I love this thread!

Twisted Kerle likes this.
  10. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Wow - that's lovely. Sorry about your grandad but what a great gift he gave you.

I've never believed the idea that vintage guitars are intrinsically better, but they are completely desirable - all that history and mystique. Looks like you've got yourself a real gem.

Twisted Kerle and songtalk like this.
  11. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

Woo. "T-G" on the neck. Work of the master Tadeo Gomez.

El Tele Lobo and Tezuka27 like this.
  12. KDAD

KDAD Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Thanks TK...keep the photos coming (more is better) and lnterested to hear the analysis/commentary from your doc.

Kevin

13. red57strat

red57strat Friend of Leo's

Awesome pics! It looks like the wiring was repaired at some point. Those plastic covered wires are not original. That's pretty minor and won't affect how the guitar sounds or plays.

14. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

He's not plugging it in anyway, so it doesn't matter. :)

15. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I've seen the block TG initials before but I don't recall seeing a script? Cool!:D
    And the wiring to the jack isn't a big surprise is it?
    Nice photos btw!

16. Slipperyfish

The writing on the neck joint is interesting. It looks actually engraved rather then pencil markings. What does it stand for? Looks to maybe like a I and an A or maybe U?

Maybe I'm stubborn lol but I still don't see a seam line. From the close up pick it looks like natural grain knot, you can tell because the lines from each side overlap a bit and then disappear on the top side. Interesting what the doc says about that old wood.

17. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

It's a "D". They are stamped, impressed into many early blackguards neck pockets.

18. Slipperyfish

Thank you, I totally see that now. I guess from which way you are reading, it can appear an A.

19. Twisted Kerle

So far doc says... Neck pickup is fubar. It likely needs reworked or replaced. Switch and jack work, but have bad corrosion and will know more after good cleaning. Bridge pickup is working.
    Some wiring has been replaced.
    The body is alder and one piece.
    Some filing might have been done on the bridge (not visible in these pics, sorry)
    Exept for frets, the neck is in good shape. Going to restring and check it again.
    He puts it's poliminary originality at 30 to 40%. The finish (or lack there of) was a big factor.
    Doc says the finish was removed. My family says Gpa didn't do it... So I'm giving a nod to the doc (and others), will believe Gpa's war buddy might have done it and then not bring the subject up at Thanksgiving.
    Just a quick update, more to follow. Doc still has it for a few days.
    It was really nice to hear it again...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    bender66 and Ron Garson like this.
  20. Lupo

Lupo Tele-Holic

This thread is getting more and more interesting.
    looking forward for further news.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.