1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Origin Effects RevivalDrive Compact Worth The $?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Gatordad, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Gatordad

Gatordad Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I am very interested in the RevivalDrive Compact. However, the cost is currently keeping me from adding one to my collection of OD pedals.

I would love to hear from owners who may have had similar reservations and have no regrets in making the purchase.

I am interested in its low gain abilities, so any detailed comments in this area are welcomed.

2. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

I have the larger Revivaldrive Custom. I was intrigued by it and already have their compressor pedal which is the best compressor I've used. It was a lot of money, but I bought it used so that I could get my money back (or close to) if I didn't like it.

Well, I do like it a lot. The sound is great but it's the feel that is different to any other pedal I've used and makes it incredibly addictive to play. It's hard to describe but it does seem to react more like an amp than a pedal which is great if playing at relatively low volume.

I've used it in a variety of different ways, including to an amp and direct to PA through a speaker simulator. When I do the latter, I have one side low gain with mild crunch (which is what you have said you are interested in) and it cleans up perfectly when rolling off the volume knob.

I'm not very good at describing sounds or equipment, but I think it sounds amazing. The only 'downside' potentially is that it does sound/feel a little compressed dynamically, but that's part of what makes it feel like playing through a loud amp.

Although it's obvious to say, I do recommend trying it as video demos on YouTube can't give any indication of what it feels like to play (much like demos of guitars).

I've not tried the compact version but believe it's very similar.

Wallaby likes this.
  3. Gatordad

Thanks for the insight. Much appreciated. I play at home only, so low volume is the norm. This is why I like lower gain od, to provide what I am unable get from the amp at lower volumes.

I mostly play through my Two Notes Torpedo CAB M+ and audio interface or Strymon Iridium, due to apartment life. On the few occasions when I am home alone and can turn up my amp, I play through a Fender Mustang III v2, Marshall Origin 20, Vox Night Train 15 or Quilter 101 Reverb.

I would like to know how well it sounds with digital/ss amps. All of the demos I've seen on YT appear to be played through tube amps, and of course sound great because of that fact.

4. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

Here's a very short demo I've just recorded of the Revivaldrive Custom. The only solid state amp I have handy is a MarkBass Micromark bass practice amp with 8 inch speaker.

I was surprised at how good it sounds even through that unsuitable amp! I used light drive settings and the volume was very low, easily conversation level. It's recorded through my phone so not necessarily the best sound quality, but you should get an idea of what it sounds like.

I used a Fender American Standard Stratocaster in case that helps!

Wallaby likes this.
  5. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

soundcloud.com/adam-wright-7/revivaldrive-and-mark-bass/s-DMFCyltYlhh?ref=clipboard

6. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

Apologies, I put a link to the recording on soundcloud in my post, but it won't show the link for some reason! I'll try to figure it out.

I think I've sorted it. If you copy and paste the link above into the browser, it should take you there.

7. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

Katt said it. I have the RD Custom also, and I use it primarily as a preamp into a Mic/Cab/Speaker IR device. I also use it as an OD and a general tone shaper in front of an amp.

It's the centerpiece of my pedalboard and it provides the fundamental sounds of my rig. I also use a Cali 76 CD.

The Ghost tones and negative feedback/presence controls, to me, are critical. The Blend Override function on the footswitch is also critical, at least the way I have it set up, it allows me to have 4 different sounds configured.

It was expensive for a pedal, but it's more than a pedal. It let me achieve a goal of having an ampless pedalboard-based rig I could use for travel that was also flexible for use with my regular amps. Of course with current conditions I haven't traveled since March...

I love the way it sounds, I don't regret the purchase and I find something new I like about it every day, and it's a permanent resident on my pedalboard.

Best of luck whatever you decide!

KATT likes this.
  8. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

Exactly. I plugged it in to record the short demo and I was still playing an hour later even though I was supposed to be doing something else!

Wallaby likes this.
  9. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

Interesting you should ask about low-gain capability - it excels at it.

Keeping the "volume" control somewhere below Noon and then tweaking the Negative Feedback or Presence control and Lows control gets you there. Add in a bit of Ghost for character.

Tweak the Preamp and Bright cap setting for the right amount of glassiness ( or not ) and also find the right amount of honk with the Mid controls, and then fine-tune the Hi Shelf, and then the BriCap cut.

I used to use Timmy for low-gain, and still do, but now in front of the Revival Drive.

Origin Effects have in-depth demo/tutorial videos, a "Rough Guide", here -

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdLCxh5eaK9aSOxGBfXdv_8DZ4rpodLo3

10. Gatordad

I appreciate all of the input, very helpful. However, I am referring to the RD Compact which does not have the ghost and other controls. I'm sure the base tone in the Compact will sound pretty much the same as the original (big box) and Custom. I am planning on placing an order with Sweetwater for one tomorrow.

Many thanks!

11. Itskellyo

Itskellyo TDPRI Member

How does this thing do for higher gain? With a TS can I push it into AIC/Jane’s Addiction territory? I’m very intrigued by this pedal and how it’s said to react in terms of dynamics and sensitivity but my concern is it might be a bit vintage for my taste

12. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

It does a good classic rock high gain, but AIC? I don’t think so. Despite being very amp-like it’s kinda picky about ODs in front of it. I think a clean boost works better. It’s an amazing pedal and I’m loving mine.

13. Itskellyo

Itskellyo TDPRI Member

Fwiw I have a Maxon ST9 that can be dialed in more like a clean boost because of the adjustable mid hump. Also run an EP Boost in the front of my chain. When you say classic rock high gain what are your points of reference?

14. D_Malone

D_Malone Tele-Holic

Nothing in particular, maybe like Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, not much heavier than that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.