Origin effects revival drive

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by MarkA, Aug 14, 2018.

1. MarkA

MarkA TDPRI Member

Finally, my search for my ideal drive pedal appears to have ended... sadly it didn’t come cheap but the tone is just “right” for my rig.

I play at home and can rarely crank up the amps to get em cookin, the revival drive sounds like a cranked amp even at low volumes, truly impressive. It cleans up perfect with a turn of the vol knob on my Tele, something very important to me. The extension pedal has a mid engage which is ideal for cutting through at solo time or if the bass and drums get a little in my lane. I didn’t think I would need this option, but it’s amazinlgy useful.

Left side I used for low to medium gain, and I use the right side for medium to higher gain stuff... perfect.

I’ve had it for a month or so and this weekend the whole band acknowledged (without my prompting) how good things were sounding, it really made me play better.... inspiration is priceless :)

Anybody else digging into this pedal yet?

losrogers likes this.
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Just so everyone knows what we're talkin about here

That's a lotta knobs and switches there, mister

3. MarkA

MarkA TDPRI Member

Yeah the amount of knobs was something that really held me back from buying to be honest, but I got a good deal and had 6 other drive pedals I could sell if I found this one did the trick. Truth be told the knobs are intuitive (same config as most other drive pedals) and the switches and mini knobs are really just set for your amp type and never get hit again until a different amp etc. Easy peasy once it’s dialed in, haven’t touched the knobs in a week but I find my guitar vol knob getting a LOT more love now, the interaction is lovely.

4. Badger06

Badger06 Tele-Meister

First off I just want to acknowledge how amazing the Revival Drive is, and that I understand why Origin wanted to release an all singing all dancing top of the line unique overdrive pedal as their first OD.

That being said, I’m waiting for them to split each side of the Revival Drive into two separate pedals using the Cali76 size/format. I think there’s demand for smaller simplified versions targeting specific amp styles e.g. one pedal for Fender style amps and one for Marshall style amps - which is as I understand what each side of the current pedal is designed to do.

Personally I think six knobs with a couple of toggles and the smaller adjustment screws would be less daunting/more accessible and also bring the unit cost down. A relatively more affordable version (i.e. in the realms of Cali76 pricing) would surely sell like hot cakes?!

I only have two Fender amps and therefore don’t need the overwhelming level of tweak-ability that the RD offers. It’s just not worth that kind of money in my situation, despite how amazing it sounds!

MarkA likes this.
  5. MarkA

MarkA TDPRI Member

I agree completely. Its nice having both sides (I use them both with quite different settings) but if I had the choice in the interest of saving money and space on the pedalboard I would have been content with only 1 side. I ended up getting the "custom" version with the extension switch for $520 so it was a deal worth taking a stab at, if it wasnt amazing I could always resell and recoup. Still, a LOT of money for a dirt pedal...

Badger06 likes this.
  6. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

As a recording engineer I'm used to staring down consoles with over a thousand knobs and switches so it isn't all that intimidating to me. I'm just having to recharge my financial phaser banks after throwing down on a nice Les Paul. :cool: Be patient with me...

Bob

MarkA likes this.
  7. Badger06

Badger06 Tele-Meister

That Pedal Show just did an hour long episode on the Revival Drive:

Have to say it didn’t do anything for me until they started using the suggested pre-sets towards the end. If Dan and Mick have trouble getting sounds by ear then I have no chance

8. MarkA

MarkA TDPRI Member

I may be the biggest fan of that pedal show on the planet, but I must say I was underwhelmed with the sounds in this one... maybe just not where they “live” as they say, I found it interesting as they frequently say how they need to play loud to sound good, but don’t like sound of a cranked amp... that relates to what I said about this pedal from the start, sounds great... don’t need to be loud :)

Badger06 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.