Origin-al Tone

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by hiero, Dec 8, 2018.

1. hiero

hiero Tele-Meister

Yeah! - got a Marshall at long last! - Only taken 44 years!

First time I tried to buy a Marshall was in 1975 and was a Master Lead Combo in a sale for £99 (which I had saved from my paper round and Saturday job) and when I told my Mum she adamantly refused it in the house... Then 10 years back I nearly nabbed a nearly new 1974x off ebay and won the auction at £510 but the guy bailed on me and never got my hands on it. Then I read about the new Origins and see plenty of intriguing demos on YT and there are enough consistently good to convince me. Then I get a massive car/auto bill that clears me right out and just at the wrong time Black Friday comes and I tantalisingly see an Origin 50h (head) for just £364 new and delivered... well you just have too - screw the credit card and Christmas.

Anyway - what a Marshall it is too. I love all those 60s/early 70s Marshall greats and this is just them. The Tele is also superb through this and although loud at full powerstem the low and mid offer great sounds. In fact the mid is even betterer than the high power cos a pedal just fine-tunes thing up and so you can have all that lovely Master and Gain off the dial end! It roars and sings and when gets hot smells of Popcorn!

I am running it into 2off 1x12 Celestion 100w cabs and although I planned to have one loaded with a V30 and the other a Creamback, the KT-100s actually sound enormous and bell-like. Think I'll stick with them as the cleans are so, so articulate. But the Drive tones - think Mick Ronson, Kossoff and cleans those lovely ambient Peter Greens and in-between I keep hearing Lynyrd Skynyrd!

A real beauty to look at - classic era Marshall and now I have one too and I don't care what my Mum has to say about it!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    uriah1, Axis29 and Zepfan like this.
  2. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Welcome to the Origin club! Also my first Marshall... and I love it! The 50 Combo was the first one I tired, but the 20 Combo is what worked best for my current situation. Despite the old school Marshall-ite chatter, I think Marshall hit a serious home run with this series of amps!

3. North East Al

North East Al Tele-Meister

A likely story lol. I just bought my first Marshall after 37 years or so. Origin 20 combo in the same sale... £364 interest free. Xmas doesn't get cancelled. Had it a week and LOVE It!!!!!

Axis29 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.