Organic Timbre

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Bendyha, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Bendyha

Bendyha Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Came across this site for a new (to me) 12" speaker whilst browsing.

Seems to be a one man operation with only one speaker on offer...and I wish him all the best with success because he seems to be focussed on offering something of quality and originality, but the proof is in the listening.....but before I pay for shipping 17lbs. halfway around the world...
    Anyone have any experience with them yet?

http://www.organictimbre.com/store/p1/Rhapsody_G12F.html
    upload_2017-11-1_11-45-2.png
    Here is the blurb;
    "Rhapsody G12F $ 209,00

Overview
    The Rhapsody G12F is a one of a kind speaker that finds the balance between warmth, richness, and clarity. Too often with neutral and sterile sounding speakers the lack of richness makes playing unforgiving and unnecessarily difficult. The Rhapsody G12F provides a friendly warmth while sounding exceptionally clear, giving the guitarist access to fully express his or her music. No speaker in the world sounds and plays like this. This is THE guitar speaker for modern guitar players who want to craft their own tone.
    What it sounds like
    The best way to describe the sound is smooth. Low end is well controlled, mid range is rich, and high end is creamy and musical.
    What it feels like to play
    The fatiguing harshness of traditional speakers is eliminated. Unique to this speaker is its playability; there is a visceral feel of having complete control of your sonic destiny."

Specifications
    Diameter: 12"
    Cutout diameter requirement for front loading: 11.1"
    Impedance: 8 ohms
    Power Handling: 300W*
    Resonant Frequency: 50Hz
    Frequency Range: 70Hz-5.5kHz
    Voice Coil Diameter: 2.5"
    Sensitivity: 99dB
    Magnet Weight: 74oz
    Magnet Type: Ferrite
    Unit Weight: 17lbs

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

A lot of love for those old EVs style. His looks like the more modern 70s EV take.
    at 17lbs I hope you have friends.
    I have seen some reviews over the gear net page. I have been recently downsizing
    wattage in some amps but if you are into overhead..looks nice.
    Hope you find more info.

c ev1.jpg EV-12L.jpg
    Coffee can alnico and ceramic

jimash likes this.
  3. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I was gonna say it looks like a knockoff of an EV12L. Description seems kinda like that, too.

Maybe you could find an old EV locally to try and see if it's in your ballpark?

jimash and uriah1 like this.
  4. Bendyha

Yeah...looks like a EVM...has the power rating of a EVM, but the similarity seems to stop there.
    As far as the Electro voice speakers go, I have several EVM12L, EVM12S, EVM10, Force10, SRO15.... and am very fond of them...otherwise I wouldn't have so many....and I know what they sound like.

My query is only about the Organic Timbre. Not about what it looks like (I had spotted the EV like appearance:twisted:)...but what they sound and feel like.

Wally and Jakedog like this.
  5. Bendyha

Rhapsody G12F
    upload_2017-11-1_13-39-0.png upload_2017-11-1_13-40-22.png

kaludjerko likes this.
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Yea, was not discerning tone, only basic conifiguration of new guy on the block. Basket type like that since
    it is holding a monster mag. Your charts indicates interesting drops along curve.
    The new high wattage Celestion redback does the 70-5 also, but only 150.
    Maybe you should just go for it. Sometimes I end up doing that, s ince you never
    really know until you put it in your amp.
    Wish you well.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Even the graph looks as if the Rhapsody is aimed at the EV response, doesn’t it?

schmee likes this.
  8. Bendyha

Whilst the Rhapsody has a 2.5db dip between 500 and 1000, the EV has a 2.5db bump, that difference in the "presence" region would make a lot of difference I should think.

Modman68 likes this.
  9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I see that, Bendyha. The EV has more production in that area even if the two had a straight line there, right. It would be interesting to compare. Ime, that range is a place I like and would probably prefer the EV.

10. Bendyha

Here is an overlay so you can compare better. The trace between 300 down to the low E strings 80Hz, is going to be influenced greatly by the choice of cab; size/open/closed/vented...
    I know that one can't expect to judge the sound and character of a speaker from the charts like this, but it does show that they are going to be quiet different, and we are not dealing with a wannabe copy here, this speaker is trying to be itself.

upload_2017-11-1_15-18-15.png

kaludjerko likes this.
  11. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

Hmm cool, I'd be very interested in hearing one, just based on the description. If it sounds like a "warmer" EVM-12L not a bad thing at all... that EV speaker is my favorite speaker of all time.

12. kaludjerko

kaludjerko Tele-Meister

Cool data, thanks.
    If EV is aiming to be flat-ish response, than Rhapsody would be even more so from looking at this.

jimash likes this.
  13. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

It looks like it could be a nice speaker option for an early Mesa Boogie Mark 1x12
    The amp combo is already heavy anyway.

14. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Remarkably gradual low end roll off, together with a quite low resonant peak. And overall quite flat response. I vote you try it. :D

15. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

bumping this thread.

have you bought it?

im actually interested in your thoughts and have been talking to the owner.

ive found an EVM12L Black Label locally and its the same price as this one shipped to me all the way to Australia, so im kind of torn between the two.

i have not owned an EV style speaker and this is my first. Was it a good buy?

or would you rather get the EVM12L black label?

16. Bendyha

No, never did. I've actually got so many speakers around the place, I should be selling them off instead of buying more. But I would still be interested to know how these chassis are.

Hope the storm didn't hit too hard where you are.

17. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

ah, thanks. Im actually very interested but Im just torn between the black label and this one.

im gonna put it inside a 1x12 open back cab.

About the storm,

thanks, i’m in the cbd so we arent that affected much actually. It was just very windy.

18. Bendyha

The black label is the EVM12L. I would guess from a look at the frequency traces that the organic sound is a tad more like the EVM12S, which is a shallower coned sister of the L with a flatter response. I have and use a EVM12S which I and quite a lot of other people quite like a lot, but others find sounds dull in comparison; depends a lot in the amp you are putting it in, and which guitar you use.

All a matter of taste.

FWIW, Gary Moore is said to have used 2 L and 2 S in his 4X12 cabs.

I would go for the organic sound.....,,exclusivity has great sounding mojo...the EV is a bit "run of the mill"

upload_2020-8-29_12-2-8.png upload_2020-8-29_12-4-26.png

19. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You gotta wonder if those sharp dips and recovery are real or just less "smoothing" in the graphing. And if they are "hearable". When graphing a bunch of samples, it's all about how much smoothing. For instance a days progress in Dow Jones could look very erratic or be smoothed showing the trend throughout the day. Why would a speaker dip that far yet stay up on either side of the dip? As Ted Weber said, the whole spl/dB thing in rating speakers is fraught with no agreed on standard.

Bendyha likes this.
  20. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

I really like these graphs.
    I also like to remind myself that V30 and a G12T75 have graph curves that don't look too dissimilar and yet sound miles apart.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.