Organ salvage

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by RollingBender, Dec 1, 2019.

1. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Just finished salvaging the fun stuff from a 1964 Baldwin model 54 organ. This is the 3rd one of these I have salvaged.

BB6404E0-921F-4E13-A827-48128E661DC4.jpeg

the amp is powered by a quad of 6BQ5 tubes with another amp powering the spinning speaker thing with a pair of 6BQ5’s. The main amp was driving a pair of 12” CTS alnico speakers (the weird brown colored pair) and the spinner was a 12” Rola. The lower left chassis is some sort of percussion accompaniment and the smallest chassis is the reverb circuit. Check out the wood reverb unit with the monster size springs!

I'm seeing maybe a clone of a Stangray in my future!

2. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Well, I thought this was about a different topic.

Hey, you ever notice that when you donate one organ, you’re a hero, but if you donate a bucketful, you’re a criminal?

3. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

Tulips on an organ is a punchline but I can’t remember the joke.

4. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

That's awesome. How do those old Rolas sound? I see them every once in a while on eBay for real cheap, and always wondered how they'd stand up to a typical guitar-oriented speaker. I have had the opportunity twice to tear down an old organ for parts, but both times I either didn't have the time or tools to do so. The last time, i was tempted to just pull the tubes and see what I could make with them, but I didn't even have something to put them in. :(

"What's better than Roses on your piano"? It's been awhile... :rolleyes:

Lake Placid Blue and stevemc like this.
  5. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

I repaired something quite similar and was amused to find the reverb tanks (it had two) labeled:
    "Assembled and tested by beautiful ladies in Kalamazoo, Michigan!"

I thought it a rather unusual credit.

Fretting out and RodeoTex like this.
  6. RollingBender

Anyone seen speakers that color before? I’ve seen them turn that color with a combination of age and sunlight but these have not been exposed to sunlight. They are the same color on the back side too.

7. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

and here i thought you were being a ghoul at a car crash.

Deathray likes this.
  8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

The Rolas I've salvaged sounded like crap for some reason, mine were horse shoe magnet alnicos like P12Q's etc? I mostly had to give them away.

9. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

Thank you. It’s nice to know I’m not the only one with a teenagers mentality on this thread.

10. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Didja know Hammond pretty much invented spring reverb as we know it? And that Baldwin was aligned with Leslie?

I have what's nominally a Leslie 125 except it was built by Baldwin.

That's why Hammond kept changing their connectors, to discourage musicians from using Leslies with Hammonds.

It didn't work.

I got a frying pan full of tubes from the last organ I salvaged.

I figure organs are like hogs. We used to raise hogs when I was a kid. We used every part of the hog.

Best use for old organ speakers is with low powered amps. Some old Baldwins used Magnavox speakers paired with a 6L6 amp, conservatively around 30 watts. Same old speakers will live when paired with a 6V6 amp around 15 watts or even better, with a SE amp either 6V6 or 6L6 makes 5 to 10 watts.

FRANKENJAG likes this.
  11. elpico

elpico Tele-Holic

Oh yeah brown cones, green cones, they made it all. Maybe brown matched the grill cloth better in this organ?

I have a similar brown Oxford I keep meaning to find a project for. It's like those but with a curved seam.

12. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

That's common on reverb tanks made by a certain manufacturer, I suspect before such shenanigans were more universally frowned upon. I want to say it's Hammond (actually Gibbs, which was a subsidiary of Hammond), since they made virtually all self-contained reverb tanks in the USA for decades, but I can't find that particular phrase associated with the Hammond name anywhere on the internet.

13. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Well, I admit I try to keep that to myself these days. I've tried many times to deny my inner tickle at "blue" humor, but nope... it's still there when I least expect it. :oops:

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  14. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Interesting. I'm betting it's no Celestion either way, but low power use makes sense.

15. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

As it happens the organ I was working on was also a Baldwin, though I didn't pay particular note with regard to who made the tanks. I can see the name on the label in my mind's eye, but...

Wish now that I had paid greater attention.

16. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Those are O.C. Electronics "folded line" reverb tanks.

"Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton, Wis. under controlled atmosphere conditions"

O.C. used a spring that doubled back on itself making their units different enough from Gibbs / Hammond that they were awarded their own patent.

Hammond used at least three functionally similar reverb devices culminating in the 17" long square metal "tank" we're all familiar with. Said tank was 17" long so it would fit in a salesman's briefcase, a trick Hammond's first generation reverb devices wouldn't do.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    FRANKENJAG likes this.
  17. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

edvard, if your mention of “it’s no Celestion either way” is in reference to the Rola speakers, here is a quick summary of the Rola/Celestion relationship. These Rola speakers...EIA code 285....are made in the USA by Rola, an American company. Rola USA established Rola, Great Britain some time right after WWII. Rola, GB purchased Celestion in 1947, iirc. This means that the term ‘pre-Rola’ used by Celestion speaker aficionados has no basis in reality as relates to ownership of Celestion and applies only to the change in labeling that occurred when the Celestion production was moved in the late ‘60’s, iirc.
    Bygone Tones has an excellent history of Celestion speakers plus information on the speakers.

fwiw, I have a US Rola 12” that I had reconed. It is a great speaker. Everyone who hears it asks what it is. I also have a wide variety of organ pull speakers, including a couple of Rola Alnicos.

18. RollingBender

I’m a bit disappointed in what this had in it for speakers. The other two Baldwin’s of the same model had ceramic 10’s in the Leslie and a pair of ceramic 12’s for the mains. One had Jensens, don’t remember what the other pair was but they now live in a 2-12 cab and sound great.

19. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Aha! Thank you for digging that up. I couldn't find anything, but of course I was searching for Hammond because I believed they had the reverb tank market pretty locked up for decades, and I couldn't find ANY mention of O. C. Electronics when looking up "history of reverb devices" or some such. I learnt something today! :D

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  20. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Oh hey, don't go pegging me as a speaker snob, you'll find a shocking lack of evidence :twisted:
    I mentioned that simply as a way of saying that I wouldn't expect an old organ speaker going for less than fifty bucks on eBay to compare as well to a modern guitar speaker, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be useful; maybe even sound better given the right circuit/cabinet combination. Sounds like you got a good one, that gives me hope.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.