Ordering Guitar sight unseen...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Randypttt, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's

I don't normally do that. Only once in my adult life have I ever. I didn't regret it but...

There's a specific guitar that I'm thinking of ordering but no one has it not even the manufacture. So I was wondering what experiences have people had with different dealers and/or manufactures when ordering something that you can not play before hand.

The guitar is a Gibson and they are out of stock. So, depending on who actually gets their hands on the model I want, who would you recommend that sends their products out clean, set up, all things working, etc? Best deals are not an issue.

I've ordered from GC once, but I've heard Sweetwater does a good job. What about American Musical or Elderly?

Any suggests would be appreciated.

Jazzerclean and Jared Purdy like this.
  2. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

Which guitar is it?

Elderly isn't carrying new Gibsons any more.

Personally, I'd be very leery of ordering a Gibson sight-unseen, based on what I've seen in the music stores.

Frodebro, String Tree and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Vanzant

Vanzant Tele-Afflicted

I just ordered a Gibson ES335, not sight unseen because there were pictures, but it is fantastic! Ordered from Dave's Guitars in Wisconsin, which I've done before, a high end guitar store that I trust wouldn't ship a crappy piece. Sweetwater is also a good way to go, the return policy is great and they are always willing to work with you to make sure that you are happy with your purchased.

4. Jared Purdy

Jared Purdy Friend of Leo's

Mark's Guitar Loft, without a doubt. I've never ordered from him, but I would. Lots of Gibsons.

5. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

When Carvin was still Carvin, I ordered an SH550 that I was able to determine wood type, finish, frets, fretboard composition and shape, etc. Never saw the guitar or heard the pickups in person, just read descriptions, saw pictorial simulations, and listened to samples. I love that guitar.

nojazzhere and Dismalhead like this.
  6. Jon S.

Jon S. TDPRI Member

+1.

Milspec likes this.
  7. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I bought an Epi Les Paul on e-bay, and a FSR Strat from MF, they're both awesome. If they have a return policy, what do you have to lose?

Jim603 likes this.
  8. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

No qualms about ordering a G&L sight unseen.

fishermike and Mike Eskimo like this.
  9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've ordered at least half a dozen guitars online. Never had an issue - but I don't think I've ever bought a new guitar that was properly set up whether in person from a music store or online retailer. Only ones that I've gotten with good set ups were used from other musicians.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    fishermike, rangercaster and Torren61 like this.
  10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’ve only ordered a guitar online/sight unseen/unplayed once.
    It was a MIJ Greco, from Japan.
    It was great, and had the all time best packing job I’ve ever experienced.
    Good luck!

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What kind of guitar is it that no one carries? You can't find it used but in mint condition? I don't think I would buy a new Gibson today for various reasons.

12. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

I started playing guitar when I was 14, in 2001. Essentially my entire guitar buying life has been in the internet age. The vast majority of mine have been bought over the internet, and I've been disappointed in very very few.

This is the golden age of guitars, and they get better every year. (And they get easier to sell every year if you are unhappy with it.)

Buy it.

Dismalhead likes this.
  13. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

I ordered my first Lite Ash Tele through a dealer and it was absolutely spot-on when it arrived from the warehouse. I wish I still had it; other Telecasters I've played have never had the same buttery feel.

14. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Probably ordered twenty guitars online ... always been happy ... but it's always best to deal in person with a good shop ... I used to frequent a shop where the owner would order me a guitar and send several back because they were not up to his high standard...
    Guy was a great tech also ....

was a great tech as well

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

If memory serves, I've ordered/bought three guitars without getting to play/feel first. A PRS SE One, on Ebay, a Hofner Club Bass (also Ebay) and a Grote ES 335-style, on Amazon. The Grote was the only REALLY unknown, and with Amazon's easy return policies, and the Grote's cheap price anyway, I felt it wasn't too much of a gamble. The Grote turned out to be a WINNER.....as were the PRS and Hofner.....but in general, I prefer to get a "feel" before buyng.

16. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

Sweetwater will even set them up to your preferences, including your choice of strings, for a small extra fee. They do thorough inspections and basic setups on all guitars over something like $299. They will even plek them for an added fee.

Plus they are great to deal with and will agree to some discount.

17. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I've bought quite a few guitars online, the trick is to find a vendor that'll take it back if it's a dog.

Milspec, PhredE, Jim603 and 2 others like this.
  18. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

All of this makes me laugh just a bit . Try being left handed for just 1 minute .

19. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

If you've done your research and the product reputation is good and a retailer is good, then it's not that risky. Some of my best experiences in guitar buying have come from ordering guitars that I haven't played first.

I'm kinda known for Logan Custom guitars. In 2008, I ordered my first Logan Custom tele style from Bob Logan. It did feel like a bit of a risk waiting for that first one to arrive, but I'd done my homework. The feedback on Bob's guitars was 100% positive, and he had many repeat customers. Once I got my hands on my first Logan tele, what little doubt I had was dispelled completely. Great instrument, one I still have. And I am currently the owner of 7 Logan Custom guitars, only one of which did I play first and pick up in person.
    10-20-2019 - Logan Custom family couch pic.jpg

So in principle, ordering sight unseen/guitar not played is not a deterrent to me in and of itself. Now more to the point of your query, I'll share about a couple of other experiences I've had ordering guitars, both of them Wechters, both from Sweetwater.

Years ago, I ordered a Wechter Nashville guitar (High strung/Nashville tuning) from Sweetwater. It wasn't my first purchase from Sweetwater, but it was the first guitar I'd ordered from them. That first Wechter Nashville arrived, and it had a bit of an issue: the top rattled/buzzed a bit whenever I played it, as though one of the internal braces was loose. I contacted Sweetwater, and they were great about it; they sent another one out to me, and covered the shipping all the way around, so that I wasn't out anything extra. The replacement was perfect.

I enjoyed that first one for a while, but wished that it had built in electronics so that I could gig with it. So when Sweetwater had a sale on a Wechter Nashville that was acoustic/electric (Wechter NV-5413E), I ordered it from them. No issues at all with that one. I gave the first one to a friend and have played gigged with the a/e one.
    02-03-2016 - Wechter Nashville 5.jpg

So while I don't know from Adam about Gibsons, I know about ordering guitars online, and I know Sweetwater. I've bought a couple of amps from them as well. Not guitars, but just more experience that Sweetwater is a trusted retailer.

Skub and brookdalebill like this.
  20. 39martind18

39martind18 Tele-Afflicted

In 1998 I bought my Heritage H550 sight unseen, not even pics, off of evilbay. I knew what the 550 was and expected to receive a large jazz box in antique natural maple with a bit of curl. What I got was quite a pleasant surprise: the wood in the guitar was upgraded to a crazy amount of flame. All of this was $1k. Then there was the experience with my Epi Sheraton II USA. Bought one off of evilbay (again). Seller had several of them for sale at the same time, so he was in competition with himself. The guitar cost me $560, including shipping, about $1k below value. Unfortunately, the original purchase arrived with a cracked neck. A quick contact with the seller resulted in another one sent. It was all I hoped it would be, becoming my #1. 20171114_133120.jpg 20171114_133334.jpg

Skub likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.