Ordered An Unfinished Allparts Neck For My Tele. Now What?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Bruxist, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Hey gang, I just took advantage of a Stratosphere sale on Allparts to get a TMO-V neck, unfinished to put on my partscaster (mostly a CVC, with a Wilkinson bridge, 4-way, and Keystones).

I had wanted a Baja neck but could never find one with a price that I could live with so I went with this one.

I know it will need to be finished, and need a nut and fret level/polish.

Do they have holes drilled for attachment to the body?

Anyone have a rub-on finish they recommend?

Anything else I should consider moving forward with this neck?

Thanks!

2. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

There are no holes drilled for body fitment,which is a good thing really,since you'll have no alignment bother matching up the body holes.

If you want a rub on finish,Tru-oil is a good choice. Not everyone will agree,since Tru-oil isn't a sealer. On the flipside,I've used it on several necks with no problems to date..it does feel lovely to play,I personally don't like the sticky feel common with nitro finishes.

Some pics of my TMO-FAT

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kriticaster likes this.
  3. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've always been a fan of Tru-Oil, but for last year's build challenge, I used Watco Danish Oil (Natural color) and I think I like it just as well!

4. Bruxist

Pardon my ignorance, but how are they different?

5. Bruxist

Wow. That's beautiful. I was torn between the TMO-FAT and the TMO-V. Will get a TMO-FAT for my next one. ;)

6. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

They are actually more similar than different. Neither is a true oil finish. Both are oil blended with varnishes. Both are easily applied with a clean rag. Both dry pretty quickly.

Watco Danish Oil is less expensive at about $8 for a 16 oz. can, and is readily available at virtually any hardware store.

7. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

For an easy, quick wipe-on finish, you can't beat CA glue. Wipe it on with a rag and buff with 0000. Seals and protects the wood, and it feels great. I used it on my last neck, and I think it's going to be my go-to neck finish now.

[​IMG]

8. jamesgmac

jamesgmac TDPRI Member

another vote for tru oil! i used wipe on poly on a warmth neck last year and wasn't happy with how it came out. i stripped off the poly and used tru oil. in my experience it was a lot easier to use, control than the wipe on poly. and it looks beautiful.

9. Bruxist

How many coats of Tru- or Danish Oil do you all apply? And how long to wait between each? Is there any need to sand between coats?

Are these all clear-coats or do they have tints? Do they yelloow over time like a standard finish?

Thanks so much for all the help!

10. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Not on a neck, but I've used Danish teak oil on furniture before and it wipes on really easy. Just make sure you rub it in evenly. From what I remember, I let it sit at least a few hours before even considering another coat. If it still feels tacky, then wait longer. On a hot day it was a few hours for one piece, and on a cold day it was over night for another. There was no need to sand in between, for these jobs anyway.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.