Ordered an Elite Neck. Is this actually new?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Strebs, May 19, 2020.

1. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

So, I am putting together another partscaster and bought an Elite neck from the online vendor that parts out Fenders. It was supposedly brand new.

It came in with a problem and some things that lead me to believe that it's a used neck. Is it possible that this is new from the Fender factory?

1st thing, it came with a small chip in the ebony next to the nut. I find it hard to believe that it would have passed QC with that major of a problem.

2nd thing, it has pencil lead in the nut slots.

3rd thing, there are sanding marks in the fretboard going side perpendicular to the grain.

It looks like this is either something that a customer messed up and returned, or something that was a factory return after purchase.

Is it possible that this is actually new, or did the vendor just take a return and reship it out?

IMG_20200519_181706.jpg

That Cal Webway likes this.
  2. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

At the price you paid for that, and some unambiguous evidence that it was not "brand new" (graphite in nut slots), I'd feel comfortable demanding a refund ... but I'd only return it if the flaw that is not trivial to remedy (the chip) irritates you to the point where you'll never be happy with it.

3. Lenny1716

Lenny1716 Tele-Meister

I would not expect a new neck to look like that.

WilburBufferson likes this.
  4. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

For that price, and for what should be one of Fender's top production line necks, I was expecting far closer to perfection. I wouldn't be happy with it so I'm definitely returning it.

The weird thing is that it came in a Fender box that appears new. The serial numbers on the neck and the box matched, and it was in what appeared to be factory packaging.

5. Boston Maine Mike

Boston Maine Mike TDPRI Member

Hi all,
    I was hoping someone has installed an Elite Tele compound Maple neck on a modern Fender Nashville Body, which has the same bolt pattern.
    I realize the body/pick guard needs routing at the heel where the truss rod dial is, but does the contoured heel look and sit right in the neck pocket?

Best to all, and stay healthy

Mike

6. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

From the factory they come with Fender's very nice "synthetic bone"

That nut looks like real bone.

I would guess that someone bought the neck, was disappointed that a $600 neck came with a synthetic bone nut, tried to make it better, and chipped the ebony trying to remove the original nut.

The original nut having been ruined in the removal process he went ahead with the bone nut install, but it didn't make it better. He thought "it's not my fault this neck sucks" and returned it, screwing anyone who gets stuck with the Christmas fruit cake after him.

I don't see any witness marks from tuner bushings. What does the back of the headstock look like around the tuner holes? What does the heel look like where its flat surface gets screwed to the body?

Bummer you got stuck with the fruit cake. Return it.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

7. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Hey Mike, funny you should ask. That Elite neck was slated to be mounted on a CAR Nashville replacement body. Yes, it appears that the routing is the same. The neck plate holes line up. I'm glad I didn't rout the body for the wheel adjuster yet because I'm not sure I'll re-order.

Boston Maine Mike likes this.
  8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I have found some sort of small cosmetic issue on every part I’ve bought from The Stratosphere. It has led me to assume that they part out factory seconds, or whatever Fender’s equivalent of them is.

Fretting out and Strebs like this.
  9. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

It may just be the picture. The nut looks synthetic to me. Although the white spots on the other end of the nut look like glue squeeze out to me. Also, there are definite sanding marks on the first and second frets. I can't find any evidence that tuners were installed and two of the screw holes in the heel don't appear to have been used, but two were. The back of the headstock doesn't appear to have marks where the tuners would be installed, but it also looks like it has sanding marks on it - kind of like someone only sanded to 600 or 800 grit. Also, there appears to be a decal for the serial number. Doesn't Fender screen print those things on?

Maybe it's a factory second that's being passed off as new or something, or a customer return that was just put back into service. Who knows. It's too weird to deal with for that $ and that chip would drive me insane. I would have never purchased it had I seen it first.

I'll return it. I sent them an email with pictures immediately after it was delivered so hopefully there's no drama with them.
    IMG_20200520_001230.jpg

10. jdiego

jdiego Tele-Meister

#metoo

LutherBurger likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Could be they buy last years stock and returns etc that's considered new but had shop wear.
    GC scratch & dent is new but damaged.

Not sure Fender installs or leaves one damaged part on a perfectly good guitar, then sells the whole guitar to a dismantler?

12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I remember reading that Martin routinely saws imperfect guitars in half, lengthwise, so there's nothing useable, not even dumpster diving. Wouldn't be surprised if most of the majors do that, as the long-term damage to the brand far outweighs any minor cash savings.

Heck, even my Fender Telecaster bookends are perfect.

I'd return it, and I doubt the seller will think twice. Unlike a guitar manufacturer, they don't have a product rep to protect. The products are a grab bag, almost by definition. Buy in bulk, auto-list them, and expect a certain percentage to get kicked back. What's the value-add? Availability of parts, and responsive customer service. That's my guess, anyway.

Strebs likes this.
  13. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

I didn't get a response from them yet, but I poked around on their site and there is a 45 day return policy for any reason. Worst case, I'm out about $15 bucks shipping. At least there's no drama. I started the return process on their site and will drop it in the mail tomorrow. For that price, I'll order something from a small shop in the future - unless I see something photographed and will be getting that exact item. Still kind of disappointed, but it's not the end of the world. I'll custom order something instead I think. In the meantime, I have a maple neck that works great. It's just really heavy rock maple and makes the guitars it's attached to neck dive. Since I don't gig, that's not even really much of a problem.

I guess no ebony fretboard on this one, but I kind of like the way it looks with maple.
    IMG_20200520_170555.jpg

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  14. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Me too. The last thing I got from them was a loaded Nashville 2017 body. It was in good shape, but there was a very noticeable 'ching' in one of the ferrules. It didn't bother me, but I'm convinced they parts out seconds and hope nobody complains. Anyway, I bought a Musikraft neck to go with it, and I'm much happier than I would've been with the Fender neck, even though it cost a bit more.

15. nathan5782

nathan5782 TDPRI Member

I bought a P Bass neck that was advertised as blemished and had a picture of the dent on the head stock. I’m guessing that was a return that somehow didn’t get inspected. I’ve also bought a performer Telecaster neck that was a take off that is awesome.

16. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

A new neck would never have pencil in the nut

17. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Yea. That's a used neck

Return

18. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That's not a new neck, but are you sure it was advertised as a new neck? or a neck off of a "new" guitar? A "new" guitar may have been played in a store or etc. I thought Stratosphere sold disassembled guitars?

19. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Yes. It was listed as a new neck. I ordered straight from their website. They have many of them available and in stock.

They replied to my email today and sent me a prepaid label so it's all good. Whatever mistake it was they took care of it

schmee likes this.
  20. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted

The sanding marks going perpendicular to the grain that you mentioned may have come from a previous owner trying to polish up the frets without protecting the board. Either that or there was an imperfection in the board that they tried to remove.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.