Ordered a WA12 preamp

swervinbob

Friend of Leo's
Just for something outboard to play around with. I plan on buying more mics, but I bought this just for the heck of it. I'm working from home, if it gets here in time, I may try recording some acoustic guitar at lunch.

cobaltu

Tele-Meister
Looks cool. Make sure to experiment with the "Tone" switch. The lower input impedance would help create some mellower, warmer sounds.

swervinbob

Friend of Leo's
Looks cool. Make sure to experiment with the "Tone" switch. The lower input impedance would help create some mellower, warmer sounds.
Yeah, earlier I was playing around with an acoustic and talking through it. I messed with the tone switch and with the gain and output knobs to push it some. I think it will come in handy for some stuff.

swervinbob

Friend of Leo's
Since I moved into this apartment, I knew I’d struggle with the home recording stuff. I have all tile floors and live right next to Interstate 10. I’m not even going to try vocals here. But I still want to lay down acoustic rhythm tracks. A LDC is too noisy. So this morning I plugged a 57 into a cloud lifter and into the WA12. I used enough clean gain to get a usable strumming track down. Then I put the UAD API Vision Strip on an insert and with a little eq and compression I got something that will work. Before, even with the cloud lifter, I was having to crank the Apollo preamps or a plug-in quite a bit. With the external mic pre, I can get more oomph before my interface on quiet sources and adjust from there.

Ben Harmless

Poster Extraordinaire
I was going to recommend a 57, but you did it already. Instead, I'll recommend losing the Cloud Lifter and upping the gain. The tone switch is an input impedance adjustment, and with the Cloud Lifter in line, the WA12 is less likely to do what it's designed to do because the mic is hitting the Cloud Lifter's input first. That impedance is relatively high (3k) in order to retain the range of say, ribbon mics - which is what most of the in-line phantom-powered preamps are designed for anyway. The WA12s input impedance is significantly lower, (150-600 ohms) and you'll likely get different results straight-in. They will probably be warmer and might be very pleasing.

Ultimately, that's far from the only tone-shaping factor in the preamp, so there are other considerations and more fun to be had. This is just my initial thought.