1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ordered a H&K Tubemeister 18 Combo Today

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by yell03, May 11, 2012.

1. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Tele-Holic

Out of interest, what Orange amp did you have?

I'm wondering how the Tiny Terror combo would compare to the Tubemeister.

2. yell03

yell03 Tele-Meister

I had the Tiny Terror Head running though a Epi Valve Jr 1x12 cab

The Tiny Terror is nice, but it is only 1 channel and no reverb or effects loop.
    It does give you the option of 7w or 15w.

The TM18 has 2 channels and a boost (like a 3rd channel)
    It has 1w, 5w, and 18w, and effects loop, and digital reverb.

As for Tone, both have nice tones, but very different.

The Tiny Terror is vintage voiced, the Tubemeister is more modern.

3. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Hi yell.

How is the TM 18 going? Now the honeymoon is over what are your thoughts?
    I saw one in a store today, I like the size, features etc...
    I have a nice light cab that would match it for an easy lug
    Just wondering...

4. yell03

yell03 Tele-Meister

I sold it.

It had really nice clean tones and gritty clean tones, but the gain fell a little short of what I wanted, kind of sterile and not quite enough gain. The boost function just made the distortion into fizz.

However, with a boost from a TS808 the gain was great.

The variable wattage was really nice as was the digital reverb.

I currently have a Jet City JCA22H Head and I have a Egnater Tweaker 40 on the way.

The Jet City has all the gain I need and it is great for my George Lynch type of tones. It does not have great cleans, but that is not what I bought it for.

I will use the Tweaker for my cleans and moderate gain needs.

I am trying to get away from needing overdrive and distortion pedals, the JCA22H is fine on its own, but the Tweaker might need a little help?

5. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the prompt reply.
    I know yours was a combo, I really like the lunchbox type heads.....and was just sussing out this one.
    I got this cheap Chinese made KLD 20w tweed head which has a built in attenuator....sounds great.

6. yell03

yell03 Tele-Meister

I love the little lunchbox heads.

7. telegibson

telegibson Tele-Meister

Hi,
    I am a Jazz player and got interested in this little amp.
    Since I am interested mainly in the clean channel, did you try
    a semi-hollow or a jazz box with this amp?
    I currently own a Fender Deluxe Reverb, which only has a clean channel and is rated 22 watts rms.
    I thought this little amp could be a nice cheaper back-up.

8. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Hi TG
    I too play mostly jazz, so insane amounts of distortion is not going to interest me either.
    Tho a bit of gain is sometimes called for when I play at parties.

I recently picked up a DVmark 12" cab and it is so light and portable I figured a nice little light weight head might be a good match for the gigs where I jump on a bus with an arch top in a soft case and an amp.
    The HK TM 18 is light but around here they retail at $990 AU , I can get a second hand mint DRRI for that.

DV mark are local to you and the Galileo 15 may be worth a look?

9. yell03

yell03 Tele-Meister

I have only run Les Pauls and Teles through it, did not have anything else at the time.

I think you could find a much lower price back-up that would be more suited for Jazz.

Heck, grab a cheap Pro Junior, it takes pedals better than the H&K.

You might want to try the Egnater Tweaker, much more variety of tones in it than the H&K.

10. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I'm not surprised you sold it. Seemed you were trying to convince yourself that you could like this amp. From your descriptions/reviews, sounded like it had some nice qualities, but that it wasn't really what you were hoping for.

11. yell03

yell03 Tele-Meister

Try not to go by me, I tend to buy and sell gear always looking for my perfect stuff.

For example, I have 2 Les Pauls, I know they are my favorite guitars, but can I guarantee I will not part with them, nope.
    I do know I will always have at least 2 Les Pauls in my stable and I really think these two are keepers.

I have a Tele and a Strat, I like them, but I don't love them, I won't guarantee I will keep them or even replace them with another Tele or Strat.

As for amps, I currently have a Jet City JCA22h in house and a Egnater Tweaker 40 on order, i excahged my Tweaker 15 for it.
    The Jet City can't do the cleans I like, but nails the high gain tones.
    The Tweaker can do the cleans and bluesy to classic rock stuff, but I don't know if it has enough gain without a boost for all the lead I play.

I bought a Startouch AB pedal to use this as a dual amp rig to cover all of my bases, but if I could find a great 3-4 channel amp that covered all these tones, I would part with them. I had a Engle Screamer, it came close, but sounded a bit sterile and solid state.

My ultimate goal is an amp that can do it all without pedals, except for a delay/reverb in the loop.

12. Colo Springs E

Lol! You're preaching to the choir brother. I go through gear like most people go through skittles lol. I bought and returned or sold four amps in the last 2 months! Hoping the Laney Lionheart I have on its way will be the one for me.

13. yell03

yell03 Tele-Meister

I hope so for your sake, but we both know the truth.:D

How long will I have my Jet City and Tweaker 40?

14. Colo Springs E

yell, have you tried any Mesas? The 5:25 or the 5:50 might work for you. Pricey, not sure what your budget is. But they each have 2 completely independent channels, and both have a solo button for added vol/gain. Each channel also has 2 modes, so you essentially have 4 channels, and the ability to footswitch two of them.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Express/Express+550.html#gpm1_1

Mesa makes nice stuff, but again, not cheap.

15. Colo Springs E

Touche! One can hope, right? :)

16. yell03

yell03 Tele-Meister

I did try the Mesa 5:25, but even on the 5w setting it was too loud for bedroom volumes. It did sound nice.

This is a common problem with many tube amps I have tried and owned, I had to part with my Buddas for the same reason, they would not do pure bedroom volumes with gain without sounding like a transistor radio.
    Big difference between room volume and bedroom volumes, espeically since my guitar loft is open to the entire house.

17. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

My house amp is a cube 30!
    I too could not get a good drive sound at a bedroom level from most amps that I also gig with.
    This is not an endorsement for a cube, it just works for me.
    Gigging amps do their thing well on stage, the cube does its thing well at the end of my couch.

18. Robus

Robus TDPRI Member

Hope it's okay to resurrect an old thread. I just got the TM18 head and put in a few hours using its DI (1x10 cab should be here in a few days).

I'm curious how those who have been using it for a while are getting along with it, and what settings are working for them.

This amp has been on my radar screen for quite a while. I was looking for something for my home studio that offers a different palette than my Fenders, Marshall and Trace-Eliot. The switchable power soak and DI option were a big draw.

I hesitated for a while because I wasn't crazy about the sounds I've heard on some of the youtube reviews. The reviewers seemed to find the fizzy distortion tones that some have mentioned, as well as the signature H&K clean tone which some have described as "hi-fi" rather than "spongy" or "tubey."

However I spent a couple of hours with one the other day in the local GC, playing it with a Strat and a Les Paul through a couple of open and close-back cabs. It sounded much better in person, so I was sold.

This amp does seem to take some time to dial in. I notice the EQ controls are highly interactive, not at all like a Fender or Marshall. It's a bit more like my Gallien-Krueger bass head in that respect than a typical guitar amp. It really does take some experimentation to find the sounds you are looking for.

Comments and suggestions appreciated. Cheers.

19. t0mm

t0mm TDPRI Member

I had a really similar experience ...then I sold it.

Once I got it home, I couldn't get into the hi-fi feel of it. I spent a couple of weeks trying to talk myself into loving it, but I ended up trading for a Mesa 5:50 instead.

20. Speedy454

Speedy454 Tele-Holic

I've been considering the H7K 18 head or the Peavey Valveking 20 head. They both have similar features.

I'm in no hurry, so I'm keeping an eye on this thread.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.