Ordered a 2020 Epiphone Les Paul Special TV Yellow

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by mimmo, Mar 28, 2020.

1. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Hi

We are close to our fourth week in quarantine here and I am getting a little bored.
    I have a Gibson Les Paul Junior from the original collection on hold because I sent the one I received back (issues on the fretboard) and the replacement took too long, the shop closed and now I have to wait for several months I suppose.

So yesterday I pulled the trigger on one of these new Epi's. I have loved its look and been GASing since I first saw it and have loved every review and sound sample on YT.
    Found a great (to me) deal, way less than 400 euros delivered to my door and a 30 day return policy, no question asked. The shop told me that its weigh is a cool 7.7 lbs. I was sold!

My luthier is closed so I really hope that the guitar will be at least playable, I have no great skills on setting guitars up.

Delivery expected on May 2nd.
    And the wait begins...

2. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

Same here man, i really like the look and the sound of that baby, enjoy it and do a review soon..;););)

mimmo likes this.
  3. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

I will! Thanks mate.

Thin white duke likes this.
  4. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I’m waiting for the Epiphone 50’s Les Paul in vintage sunburst.
    They got some in but not enough to fill all the back orders.
    When I complained about the wait, they offered me a blemished one. They said they thought it was a demo. It had a scratch by the volume control, they said. They were going to take $100 off and I agreed, but after I thought about it and before they shipped it, I said no and canceled the deal. I want a new guitar that doesn’t start off with who knows how much damage.
    That’s actually how I found out that they got some in, if they had never received any, how could you have a blemish one.
    Anyway it seems like far to long a wait, I hope it is worth it.

mimmo likes this.
  5. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

I think you did well. And I do know that the waiting time will be wort it: these guitars have everything to be loved, they look very good, sound pretty well and got very good reviews.

Be patient, and you'll be rewarded ;)

BTW I have been looking at these 50s LP's, I have no humbucker in my stable and they are so tempting. Looking forward to reading your review.

boredguy6060 likes this.
  6. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

882CC3C6-6C56-4A48-A76B-094920C97EEB.jpeg Can't wait to hear what you think, I ordered one but dealer said May. Cancelled that when I snagged the worn cherry SG Classic. Wanted 2 P90's and the SG ticks those boxes very well. Do you have a delivery date?

7. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Sorry for the lousy pic!

8. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

Nothing wrong with the road worn, but that
    Sparkling Burgundy model is just gorgeous, that’s another one on back order.
    The 2020 Epiphone line seems to be selling like crazy.

richey88 likes this.
  9. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

I have seen your thread about this beauty and must confess that I have been salivating: she is a real beauty and I have been esitating before ordering the special. Yours is a really nice baby, maybe one day I will pull the trigger on one like this.
    Anyway, Yes indeed: May 2nd. It's a long time but I figured that I will be in quarantine in a month time and this Special will help me a lot.

10. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Be sure to post the results once delivery happens. A cool guitar does pass the time in our hours of darkness!

boredguy6060 and mimmo like this.
  11. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I’ve been playing mine everyday since I got it. My tele is getting ignored. Am I allowed to say that on TDPRI? It did take quite a bit of dialing in. I’ve got it about as good as I can without any additional fretwork. The nut is good, and it stays in tune light years better than my old Gibson LP studio. No G issues.

mimmo likes this.
  12. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Happy to hear that my friend :)
    I do hope that mine will arrive with an acceptable setup, as I said I am not very skilled and having to wait for my luthier and not being able to play it would really kill me :confused:

Fingers crossed, enjoy your baby!

Ps what's the weight of your Special, if you don't mind me asking?

13. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Congrats.

That's quite heavy for a Special...but luckily still not heavy in the grand scheme of guitars.

14. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Congrats! I look forward to hearing about it!

mimmo likes this.
  15. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

This one also intrigues me. How's the neck? Thin, thick?

16. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

Thanks!
    I haven't played one yet but those who have tried it say that the neck has a nick quite chunky 50s round profile. This is the feature that sold me on this guitar. This and its look

17. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

I'm tempted by that TV yellow Epiphone too.
    I'm just back in Ireland after 5 months in Virginia where I have one of those bolt on Epiphone LP Specials with the P90s and wrap around bridge....which aren't available here in Europe. I really got into it and am thinking that a LP Special would be a nice addition to my guitar collection here, and that new Epiphone model seems the best option.
    I already have a nice Harley Benton P90 Goldtop LP copy (a great budget guitar with that chunky 1950s vibe to the neck) but there's something about the slab body and one piece bridge on a Special that really works for me.

I also already have a single P90 Vintage brand Junior copy...the V120...which is wonderful, and I hoped they'd come out with a 2 pickup Special copy.
    Which they did....the V132.
    However, it has a tune-o-matic bridge, not a wraparound, so it looks like I'll have to go for the new Epiphone if I want an affordable Special.
    After I sell something to make room for it.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    mimmo likes this.
  18. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I'm also tempted by that model, or by the worn SG with p90s. I like the look of the SG, and I already have a normal (humbucker) Les Paul, but I like chunky necks, like the one on the baja tele.

19. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

I bought a Gibson 2019 special about a week before the Epi was announced. I'm very happy with it, but tbh if the Epiphone had been announced before I pulled the trigger I probably would've gone with that, as it's *considerably* cheaper!
    My Gibson is 7 pound 5 so a nice weight

posttoastie and mimmo like this.
  20. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Ordered a 2020 Epiphone Les Paul Special TV Yellow

Congratulations ! The Epi LPS are underestimated guitars / modding platforms :

[​IMG]

I hope that Epiphone will also issue the 2020 Epi LPS TV Yellow in Left-Hand... o_O

-tbln

mimmo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.