Orcas And Great White Sharks (Not for the squeamish)

bowman

Friend of Leo's
We have a lot of great white sharks in this area in summer. Plenty of seals for them to eat, and I’ve seen it happen. Quite gruesome to witness. Most beaches have shark-spotting planes and boats on patrol, and it’s pretty effective - attacks on people are extremely rare. But in the last couple of years there have been a few orcas seen in the area too. Not close to any beaches, but it’s only a matter of time: the beach is where the seals are, and the sharks stay near the seals. Orcas eat em both. I used to only worry about stepping on a crab when I’m in the ocean - now there are big things with big teeth close to the beach. Jeez…

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Do share!

Orca's are evil IMO. I'm on team seal and team shark. Not a fan of those panda looking psychopaths.
From a human point of view, orcas are fine. Not saying I wouldn’t crap myself if one came up to my kayak, but they leave humans alone. Also, seals and sea lions are serious predators. Ever see one of their skulls? Nasty-looking teeth.

Fun story: a friend of mine used to work as a rescue/salvage diver. While on a dive, he was inspecting a submerged hull up close. He felt something next to him, and turned to look into an orca eye, close enough to touch. He says that since time was an issue, he finished his inspection. The orca watched him until he finished, and when he headed to the surface, it went on its way. Sea lions, according to Steve, were a serious nuisance. They bit gear, butted divers, etc.

Tone Quest

Tele-Afflicted
Orcas are amazing creatures. Just doing what nature has instilled in them. It is brutal, but you have to admire their cunning and intelligence.

saltyseadog

Tele-Holic
Do share!

Orca's are evil IMO. I'm on team seal and team shark. Not a fan of those panda looking psychopaths.
Not one single report of an Orca attacking a human in the wild has ever been recorded. Meanwhile sharks attack and kill humans all the time, and seals, tiger seals and sea lions are vicious beasties as well so I am on team Orca. :cool:

BB

Poster Extraordinaire
I call our wonderful, smart, amazing and very cool Boston Terrier "Shamu" at times. She does the spying thing (like Orcas) very well when she knows there is chow nearby.

Since she's black and white, she looks like a KW and cracks me up!

Linderflomann

Tele-Meister
Not one single report of an Orca attacking a human in the wild has ever been recorded. Meanwhile sharks attack and kill humans all the time, and seals, tiger seals and sea lions are vicious beasties as well so I am on team Orca. :cool:
Sharks are just mindless killing machines. They can't help what they do. It's all instinct.

But orcas... they're clever. Scheming. Self-aware. They understand the terror they inflict upon their prey, yet they persist. That is what makes them so frightening and... evil.

Imagine the horror, just resting on an ice floe, warming up in the sun from a hard day spent fishing in the icy waters, to be hit by a wave and hurled into the water filled with these black and white monsters, with nowhere to run, nowhere to hide:

This is the stuff of nightmares.

And then, rather than a swift and painless death, they might toy with you, hurling you through the air to tenderize your flesh while you are still alive. Imagine the mixture of fear and physical pain as you become increasingly bruised and battered, wishing for them to just get it over with.

Horrendous.

"When I craved I ate hearts of sharks, I know you know it"

suthol

Friend of Leo's
And then, rather than a swift and painless death, they might toy with you, hurling you through the air to tenderize your flesh while you are still alive. Imagine the mixture of fear and physical pain as you become increasingly bruised and battered, wishing for them to just get it over with.
You make the sound like the felines of the seas.

I doubt that an unfortunate meeting with a bear would lead to a quick dispatch either.

You can have your grizzlies, I'll take my chances with our drop bears