1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Orange Tiny Terror

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TMMC, Dec 20, 2016.

1. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Just picked up a like new Tiny Terror for $200. What mods are there for this that would be worth checking into?

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You got a nice deal.

Why mod it?

Honestly I think it's perfect. No reservations whatsoever.

mauer62 and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  3. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

I was wondering about that too. I love it as is, but I've heard of some really nifty mods and was wondering if anyone here and suggestions.

4. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

The problem with mods is, will they suit you? You could invest $300 in some new transformers, but why would you?

Years ago, I would try to mod anything just for the sake of it. Eventually I realised that the designers probably knew more about what they were doing than me .....

These day's I live with stuff as it comes, unless there's a good reason to tinker.

Evil Funk, JustABluesGuy and MilwMark like this.
  5. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

It doesn't need mods. It's honestly one of my favorite amps out there.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  6. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

Swap the 12ax7 for a 12au7 - IME the gain is less fizzy, and more useable.

It's a sweet little amp that punches way above its weight.

Wyzsard, Thanasis, Evil Funk and 4 others like this.
  7. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I've never heard anyone complain about that amp or suggest that it needs mods.

8. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Some folks just like to "tinker" with stuff. I'll play with pre-amp tube swaps some and am getting an external 1x12 cab that I plan to do some speaker swaps in as well.

That being said, I'm doing it for my own education, not to try and fix any perceived deficiencies in my gear. I try to by gear that I already like, and any changes I'm likely to make would be minor tweaks over time.

I always chuckle a bit when I read posts (and they happen pretty often) such as... "I just bought X amp and it sounds really great....BUT I want to swap out the tubes and the speaker in it. What do you guys recommend?"

I chuckle because I don't understand it, but then I guess I do (as a tinkerer myself). I figure it must be the last symptom before one starts just building their own amps!

FenderLover and TMMC like this.
  9. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

It's got 2 of em. V1?
    Now the Micro Terror certainly improves with a lower gain tube.

TMMC likes this.
  10. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

I have no problem with it as it is, for sure. But I'd love to see what options there are, mostly because--as you said, JustABluesGuy--it's fun to tinker.

11. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

Yes - V1.... should have specified... :oops:

RyCo1983 likes this.
  12. MilwMark

I don't "read" circuits. In many amps though, a lower gain tube in V1 can give the appearance of reducing gain but that is really just because it is reducing output. Once output is restored to the old level (by turning up more) the gain is the same. I'm not sure if the TT is one of those.

I will say it has a magical master volume setup though. Dime the Volume and use the Gain as your "level" and it behaves very much like a non-MV amp. Nice headroom and "grind" coming in as you move up the dial. But unlike many MV amps, I think it also sounds really good with the Gain knob higher than the Volume knob.

JustABluesGuy and TMMC like this.
  13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I would leave it alone. It's a great little amp. I love mine. Tinkering = screwing up a great amp (my opinion).

I think that you can remove 6 little Phillips screws and lift the cover and change the power tubes. It's great fun just to try tubes.

https://www.tubedepot.com/

These are the EL84's

https://www.tubedepot.com/t/tubes/power-tubes/el84-6bq5-7189

There aren't very expensive but they sound fantastic. Lots of harmonics chiming in the gain. Best $28 you could spend on a Tiny Terror

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/tung-sol-el84-new-production-power-vacuum-tube

14. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

Best mod? Put the volume to full and remove the knob. Use the gain to season.

chipwich, TMMC and Spaceboy like this.
  15. doctor_capleson

doctor_capleson Tele-Meister

I'm in a similar situation. Mods for the TT don't really change the character of the amp that much, and they're expensive for how little they do because of the interior construction of the thing.

You can change out tube types, as long as you maintain the same connection type (6-pin or whatever they are). Changing speakers or trying different cabs will get you somewhere too.

Ultimately, after lots of digging, I decided that the amp is fine-ish the way it is. I think the problem is just that it's not a great amp for me, given what I like them to do. It's cool and all, but the lack of effects loop is a deal breaker for me on an amp that has no clean headroom and can't take reverbs/delays well at all.

JustABluesGuy and TMMC like this.
  16. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Attach it to a 4x12 cab, turn the volume to around three quarters, tone where it sounds right and gain to taste, plug in your Tele, rock out and repeat until the urge for modding leaves you. Shouldn't take too long.

17. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

the TT is a fantastic amp which doesn't really need modding imo. i know some have tried installing an fx loop but i always found it takes pedals pretty well out front so i've never felt the need. the only changes i made to mine were a preamp tube swap - i had an at7 in v1 and a 5751 in v2 when i had mine, and it really took all that early fizz out and replaced it with beautiful chimey grunt. apart from tube swaps, playing the head with different speaker cabs will give you a very different flavour to your tone. other than that, enjoy it for what it is.

18. scottser

scottser Friend of Leo's

by the way, the tiny terror is the only amp i've ever heard referred to as 'the tone bath'. says it all, really..

3-Chord-Genius, RoyBGood and TMMC like this.
  19. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

Thanks all. I replaced the tubes with some JJs and it sounds incredible. It's currently one of six tube amps I have, but they are all so different I think I'll keep it how it is so I don't risk making an undesirable change or making it sound close to one of my others.

That said, for $200 with the leather carrying bag, and it's like new, I scored. I play my Telestrat and Gibson Nighthawk through it for hours yesterday.

20. MilwMark

I'm not doubting your experience for you at all.

But I will note for me, I'm always surprised how much headroom the thing has with the Volume up. And how well it takes my DM-2w and DOD Phasor. Mind you I'm not doing anything exotic with either.

On the subject of headroom, I bought a Dual Terror for my rock band. And have yet to bring it out of "Tiny Terror" mode into the full 30w mode. Last show was a big ballroom, maybe 400 people. Bandmates used a Twin and an AC30. I had Volume about 4/5ths up and the Gain probably 1/2. Kept up just fine.

There are no absolutes.

RoyBGood likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.