Orange TH30…opinions?

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Hey there…looking at one in a possible trade. I already love Orange crunch, but it’s the clean channel that appeals. My band is adding more and more songs requiring a sweet clean tone. Any impressions you can share are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

uriah1

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Crunch or crush?
Not sure an 8 incher will help get above a drummer.
I had the Rocker 15 that also had a great clean.

JohnnyThul

Tele-Holic
I played the TH30 for a few years. Excellent amp! The shape control offers a variety of sounds from vintage crunch to modern scooped. The clean channel was very nice as well! Tube buffered FX loop and very well thought of EQ and as mentioned Shape control.

Versatile amp, great sounds, highly recommended! Sounds and behaves like an amp, that was designed by a musician for musicians.

Why did I sell it? It didn't look like a Plexi :) But in all seriousness, i just cannot bond with the visual appearance of these amps, although they make fantastic amps! If you have the chance, play an OR15 (that's a great Marshall Kerang sound in a small package) or OR50 (bigger and better) and the glorious Rockerverb!

scelestus

Tele-Afflicted
I had one. I liked it but found it to be pretty tight, modern, and maybe a hair compressed compared to other Oranges. I like a little bit looser gain so sold it.

It was a great amp, though!

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
I played the TH30 for a few years. Excellent amp! The shape control offers a variety of sounds from vintage crunch to modern scooped. The clean channel was very nice as well! Tube buffered FX loop and very well thought of EQ and as mentioned Shape control.

Versatile amp, great sounds, highly recommended! Sounds and behaves like an amp, that was designed by a musician for musicians.

Why did I sell it? It didn't look like a Plexi :) But in all seriousness, i just cannot bond with the visual appearance of these amps, although they make fantastic amps! If you have the chance, play an OR15 (that's a great Marshall Kerang sound in a small package) or OR50 (bigger and better) and the glorious Rockerverb!
I had one. I liked it but found it to be pretty tight, modern, and maybe a hair compressed compared to other Oranges. I like a little bit looser gain so sold it.

It was a great amp, though!
How was the clean channel?

scelestus

Tele-Afflicted
How was the clean channel?
It was nice! It does get a little bit of grit when cranked up. That's the more "vintage" feeling channel. Also, I remember it being voiced nicely but not necessarily being "fat." I don't recall that low end bloom like a Fender or JTM. More like a clean Vox but not quite.

I don't know how loud you play. If really loud, the dirt on the clean channel may be an issue. But I will say these 30-watt Oranges (TH30, AD30) are LOUD for their ratings.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
It was nice! It does get a little bit of grit when cranked up. That's the more "vintage" feeling channel. Also, I remember it being voiced nicely but not necessarily being "fat." I don't recall that low end bloom like a Fender or JTM. More like a clean Vox but not quite.

I don't know how loud you play. If really loud, the dirt on the clean channel may be an issue. But I will say these 30-watt Oranges (TH30, AD30) are LOUD for their ratings.
Nice! VOX cleans might just be my favourite. I like the sparkle and chime.

KC

Poster Extraordinaire
I'm an Orange fan but I like the Rocker series lately -- 15 combo with a 10" speaker, 30 combo with a 12. The 30 is especially fun to play loud, punchy & dynamo, but the 15 sounds better around the house. I still technically own a TH30 combo but I found it pretty bright at lower volume levels. Very loud for 30 watts. Various trickery will bring the wattage of the amp down to manageable levels but it doesn't sound the same, to my ears. I liked it, in other words, but it felt more Vox-like than Marshally, kind of a pocket AC30. It might be the perfect amp for you, wasn't for me, now in the care of my daughter's girlfriend who uses it in a punk/pop band where it seems to be right at home.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Good luck! I bet you like it.
I do too. Not too worried about ‘modern’ sounding dirt, I can always get something I like for a Garage Rock sound with the addition of my Bad Monkey OD. However, the clean tone sounds great in vids (with headphones on) and the descriptions here concur.

Dacious

Doctor of Teleocity
You can also run the gain on Orange dirt channels low for an interesting dark clean that works for indi stuff. Oranges are really quite different - the Tiny Terror is different to the Rocker that's different to the AD30, that's different to the Rockerverb, that's different to the Thunderverb .

They do have some commonality in basic tone. The Rocker 30 was superceded by the TH30.