Orange rockerverb mk3

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Colt m423, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Colt m423

Colt m423 TDPRI Member

I recently bought this amp. I bought a brand new set of jj stock tubes for it too. I bought it with intention of doing some gainy country/ rock n roll style of a sound.

I see everyone talking of how great it is for that.

The only good sounds I have yet to find on it are really really high gain sounds.

If anyone on here uses one for what im after, how are you running it?

I run the mids pretty high, lows and highs around 12 o clock. And unless the gain is set really high the tone of the low to mid gain seems to be lacking the same type of luster. Its kind of flat.

Maybe the amp just isn't for me? Idk?

I have the solid state cr120 with its matching 4x12 cab just as a practice plug n play amp. Because it sounds great low to mid volumes. And it seems to be kicking my rockerverb in the butt when it comes to tone on the spectrum im looking for.

My lead singer has a ad30. And its even hot rodded with sovtek tubes for more of a doom feel. But yet I can dial in a tone I love more than my rockerverb.

Im just curious.

2. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The higher the mids the more gain you will get. Roll the mids to half, highs to 1:00, and lows to 11:00. You didn’t say what guitar you are using but I will assume a Tele. Set the gain knob to 9:00 highest 10:00. Set like this on the dirty channel is where I have found the sound you are looking for. Also the JJ are pure mushy dirt just before 12:00 on the gain knob. I would find different tubes if you want more clean control range on the gain knob. Good luck.

Colt m423 likes this.
  3. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

my experience of Orange amps is that they sound great onstage but kind of harsh around the house. through a V30 or Voice of the World equivalent they're pretty brash and bright. maybe try through greenbacks? or just turn it up and stand back.

4. 41144

41144 Friend of Leo's

NB. not got a Rockerverb but the Rocker ... but there's not a huge following for Orange amps on this site, imho, so ..... comments regarding my settings probably wouldn't help but ....

Are you running any pedals in front of the amp? Never rule out the chance that a pedal might work great with amp X but have a disastrous effect (tone &/or volume) on amp Y.

ie Take pedals out of the chain one-by-one and see if a pedal omission alters the tone you're getting.

5. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I've found that the Rockerverb isn't happy with the master below half. The dirty side is kind of compressed, but you can get good mid-gain tones out of it as long as you keep the master up and the gain down. I second the suggestion to turn down the mids, too.

The most pleasant surprise with my MKI Rockerverb was the clean channel- it's really chime-y and gets nice and gritty when you crank it up. It's sacrilege, but I almost like the clean side better than the dirty side.

6. 41144

41144 Friend of Leo's

Same on the Rocker for the Gain channel .... Gain around 19 one-click, never past 12 but the Volume for the Gain channel needs to be maxed.

ie I actually prefer the Clean channel with Boost and ODs in front of it.

7. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have an amp like this - not an Orange, so I'll keep this short ;) Bought it for high gain and its just hard, not impossible, to dial in the fullness, clarity and bottom end tightness I'm looking for on the Lead channel. On the clean channel, it's voiced completely differently and is big, chimey and just some of the best cleans I've ever had. To get the high gain tone I'm after, I run the gain of the clean channel up to max and put an EHX Crayon OD in front of it, mostly used as a boost to hit the pre-amp tubes harder. It sounds amazing like this, so I just treat the thing like it's a single channel amp and forget about the Lead channel altogether.

8. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

I don't own the RV MKIII, but have a RV50 MKI, AD15, and have owned the AD30 and AD5.

All played through V30 (and G10N40 for the AD5).

The AD30 and RV50 are very different amps.

What do you want to achieve exactly? How much gain is high gain for you?

9. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

I owned a Rockerverb Mark II. I just could not get it to work for my needs. Traded it for a guitar pretty quickly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.