Orange Rockerverb MK2 212 combo Problem

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Masta frank, May 22, 2020.

1. Masta frank

Masta frank TDPRI Member

Hello, I need a little help diagnosing a problem with my Orange Rockerverb amp. So the problem is very specific. I have to use my Gibson Les Paul in the neck position and reverb has to be on. Every time I hit a F note there is a weird metallic noise that slowly tapers off to what sounds like someone do a slow pick slide down the E string. It's really irritating and really loud. I tried a different reverb tank, no dice. I tried seeing if a tube was loose, or any loose screws around the speakers or reverb tank and that also didn't work. I can't tell 100% where the noise is coming from, but it sounds like it's somewhere in the chassis. Any ideas as to what's causing this?

2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Afflicted

I would usually suspect a tube but you seem to think it is a vibration elsewhere.

A quick google search... It appears with the Orange, the reverb tank can pass on resonant noises when certain notes are played.

You have tried a different tank... Tap on the tubes to see if any are microphonic. If you can recreate the noise, tap on the tubes during the noise to see if it can be interrupted.

3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Take the tank out and rest it on a sweatshirt. If the issue goes away, remount the tank with an old mouse-mat as padding.

4. Masta frank

Masta frank TDPRI Member

I tried a different tank and I tried tapping on the tubes neither reproduced the problem. I think I figured it out. I believe it was the tube shields or one of them. I pulled them out and played for a bit last night and the noise was gone.

5. Masta frank

Masta frank TDPRI Member

I had the tank pulled out completely sitting on different materials and even in different positions it still made the noise. I think it was a tube shield. I'll check again tonight.

6. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Sell it, and buy another amp...

Problem.solved !!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.