1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Orange OR15 clone build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by EssQae, Mar 8, 2020.

1. EssQae

EssQae TDPRI Member

So my friend and I are venturing into the world of DIY amp builds. He has an engineering degree and I plan to begin pursuing a degree in electronic engineering technology this coming fall.

We've decided on an OR15 clone for our first build and are trying to gather all the information that we can. We've got the schematic for the circuit and he will be focusing on that, while I'll be focusing on design and the physical parts of the build.

Does anyone have any experience in this particular model build, or any Orange head/15w head? Search results have been slim here but I thought perhaps someone might have some info and just haven't posted a thread about it. Or maybe someone can just point us in the direction of some resources that I haven't discovered yet. Much appreciated!

Mr Ridesglide likes this.
  2. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

There was a great thread a while back building a tiny terror. Might be helpful.
    I would like to see your schematic sine they are also not well circulated.
    I will follow your build with interest if you post some results
    Cheers Ron.

3. EssQae

EssQae TDPRI Member

Mr Ridesglide likes this.
  4. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I haven’t built one, but I own one. I have to open it up soon to swap out a tube, do you want a pic of the inside?

EssQae and Mr Ridesglide like this.
  5. Mongo Park

Mongo Park Tele-Holic

EssQae likes this.
  6. EssQae

EssQae TDPRI Member

Definitely, thanks man. I've found some online but nothing in detail really.

7. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

OR15 is more complicated than the Tiny Terror, you'll probably need a bigger head cab to put all that stuff in there considering you're not using pc boards.

awasson and EssQae like this.
  8. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Another thing I forgot to mention, see if you can find a schematic for the Jim Root Terror. They share the same pcb. (The PCB inside the OR15 actually says Jim Root Terror on it). The OR15 is just voiced differently.

EssQae likes this.
  9. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

I've been wanting to tackle a 15 watt OR-based build for a while now. But I have at least two amps to build before I get to that one!

10. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Have you sourced the transformers yet? Do you know the specs for the Orange OT?
    What boards are you considering? PCB, turret, eyelet, or something else?

Nice project, by the way.:cool:

11. EssQae

EssQae TDPRI Member

My partner is sourcing all the parts from Digikey mostly. I think the OT is the one thing he's not 100% on yet. And I think we're going PCB.

12. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Hey, just dropping in to see how this project is coming along. I built that Tiny Terror clone back in 2017 and it’s still going strong. I finally labelled it this weekend and while I was at it I removed the switching I added for ultra linear mode (I never used it) and I added an effects loop between the preamp and the phase inverter (boom! Best mod ever). Now I can run my delay and reverb through the loop and cranking the gain won’t make it all squirrelly. I may even try a chorus through it now.

How’s the OR15 coming along? I’ve looked at this amp’s schematics. It’s got the Tiny terror Preamp, phase inverter and output circuit but they’ve split up the tone into bass, mid, treble and added an extra gain stage after the preamp. Then it looks like they added a buffer for the effects loop using a 12AT7. Oh and they took the volume control off the output tubes and shoved it on the extra gain stage before the buffer.

The Tiny Terror is an awesome and very stable little amp so I expect the OR15 will be just that much better.

747BC66F-0182-43D9-A491-19F4C1F78415.jpeg 5FB93681-468D-44F2-91EE-A83D5E063C4B.jpeg

13. Kurty

Kurty NEW MEMBER!

Hey guys, great thread ! Kuddos for the Tiny Terror looks sick ! I'm also in the phase were I'm looking at differents amps to clone (JCM800,Bassman 5F6A,JTM45,Bluesbreaker...) I'm interested in the OR15 but I can't access the schematic on music electronics website, could someone by any chance link in here again ? maybe include a screenshot of some sort ?

thanks guys

cheers

14. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure where I got it.

Attached Files:

15. Kurty

Kurty NEW MEMBER!

Cheers mate !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.