1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Orange Micro Terror Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Bulldog87, Jul 6, 2012.

1. aznrambo481

aznrambo481 Friend of Leo's

looking at one of these as a one-size-fits-all solution to some fairly consistent moving-around I may do in the next couple of years. Hoping it might be able to cover the ground between "practice amp on steroids" and "small giggable amp" on various cabinets.

Quick question - Since it has a solid-state front end, is this safe to run with just headphones?

2. KeithJ

KeithJ Tele-Meister

Wow, I really don't need one, but for the price I would feel stupid not to buy one!

3. Sune Andersson

Sune Andersson Tele-Meister

Micro Terror is a great (little) hybrid amp that fits in most situations bigger venues (into a 4x12" and mic´d), smaller venues (1x12" and if necessary mic´d), micro venues (PPC108 1x8" not necessarily mic´d) and at home day and night through a speaker OR headphones (there is a jack for headphones so it is safe... not especially good (the headphone jack) but it works.

Sooo... get a 1x8" cabinet for the home, a 1x12" for the rehearsal studio and a 4x12" for the big arenas... :)

4. aznrambo481

aznrambo481 Friend of Leo's

Yup, that was the idea! I'm starting my fourth year of college, and really don't know where I'm going afterwards. Most likely going to grad school, living in a small place… but I'd like something where I could buy a cheap cab used and sell it when I move.

5. Sune Andersson

The best thing with the Micro Terror is that it is so small and weighs almost nothing, you can carry it around town without breaking your back! :cool:

6. Sune Andersson

And one more thing... Chicks think it is cute... do I have to say more? :twisted:

7. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Ok, for giggles I made a quick vid of it up against a Marshall.

It's a bit more of a demo of the 6100 but the MT hangs in there at the end.

I'm no Tone King but I had fun . . . :D

8. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

My wife bought me one for my birthday last week. I believe the cute factor weighed heavily in her decision. I already own a Tiny Terror combo and love it. She gave me the micro terror and told me she knew I needed a speaker cabinet (I didn't have one) so I could pick out anyone I wanted. My first question was "any one???" She said yes, so I ordered an Orange 2x12. I figured it is more than I need now, but what the hell - go big or go home. The micro terror sounds amazing through that cab. I could knock the walls down in my practice room with that thing. I'm a happy camper.

9. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

Does this little metal head actually have wood on the inside or is it all metal?

Also, does it have much clean headroom?

I'm kind of interested in it as an alternative to amps that are made of mdf or particle board which I am allergic to! : (

10. Sune Andersson

No Wood, the Micro Terror is made of metal. The speaker cabinet however is made of particle board. No way you can produce an all wood cabinet for that prize.

11. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

lareplus, for a speaker cabinet you would have to find a solid wood (or maybe plywood if that's ok) cabinet. There are a lot of all metal amp heads, the micro terror, tiny terror, vox night train and a bunch of others.

12. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

thanks!

13. El Hefe

El Hefe Tele-Meister

Hey guys I'm in need of a small cheap cab and this Orange ppc -108 cab has caught my eye, I just got a epi valve Jr head the either day and cant wait to rock with it! Do you guys think this will be a good cab to start my rig with?

14. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Joining the club!

Hi guys,

new member here. From all the positive reviews and watching Youtube, I took the plunge. I used to own a 12 watt orange Crush which I liked even though it was all SS. It had a warm clean and great OD that was very "tubelike". My first impression when I saw the package was,wow, it IS small. When I opened the box, I saw that the amp was half the size. They weren't kidding when they named it micro. Upon plugging it in, I was very impressed with how much clean headroom I could get out of it. Of course it wasn't like Fender clean but pretty good. OD is this amps forte and it does it in spades. I plugged it into my single Emi Legend 12 cab as well as my 4x12 B52 cab and it handles them w/ no problem. In fact, the amp will fit in my single cab no problem since it is so small. I don't use pedals so I can't comment on how it likes them. Single coil and HB guitars all sound good.

I'm more than happy with my purchase and I'm even thinking of selling some of my tube amps now.

15. El Hefe

El Hefe Tele-Meister

So no one has ever try'd the small Orange cab with another tube amp head?

16. milospilo

milospilo TDPRI Member

Just thought I'd post a comment on here, following on from my post earlier about buying one as a back up.
    I had to press the micro-terror in to service for the first time as my amp went down mid gig. Up until now the only person who had used it was our other guitarist. Anyway, plugged it in through my 2x12 and started the first number of the second set. I go up to the mic to start singing and 'Bang' electric shock time. The penny quickly dropped as to why. In the UK (can't speak for the rest of the world) the mains leads on the micro don't have an earth. D'oh!

There followed much singing from distance.

Apparently, Orange are recalling the power supplies and replacing them with earthed ones. Just thought I'd let you know.

17. ice_pick

ice_pick Tele-Meister

Has anyone changed the tube to something with less gain for a cleaner sweep of the knob?

How has the auxiliary input been working for other modellers like a line 6 pod or what have you?

18. Faraldi

Faraldi Tele-Afflicted

Late to the game on this but I placed my order for the Micro Terror over at Humbucker Music today. It should be here by Monday.

One question I have is regarding the headphone out. Do you think the tone is good enough to send to a PA without micing the cab? I'd like to use it for Sunday services. Thanks!

19. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Why not try it out and let us know? It's so small you can stuff it in a backpack with room to spare. It amazes me how much comes out of such a tiny amp.

20. periklist

periklist TDPRI Member

Hello there !

I'm about to buy the micro terror next days !

You think i can use the speakers from the following combos ?
    1. bugera 120 watts (2x12)
    and
    2. Marshall 120 watts (1x12)

with the terror ?

Also what about a 4x12 cabin ? can i use it for hours or it will destroy the terror after some time ?

thank you
    Peri

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.