Orange Micro Terror Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Bulldog87, Jul 6, 2012.

1. LPDAN

LPDAN Tele-Meister

I got one too!!

Sorry bad pic, not near it right now, hand was in it to give a friend an idea o it's size!

Attached Files:

2. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

Nice ! Welcome to the club. I bet you're gonna love it.

3. LPDAN

LPDAN Tele-Meister

Cheers! Added an FSR Baja Tele today too!!

4. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Tele-Holic

Same here, I may get a 12AU7, just to have it handy :cool:

asnarski likes this.
  5. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I've really enjoyed this thread. The only 'problem' is now I want one. For $149, it must be the steal of the century. It seems we really are in the golden age of gear. What a cool amp. I always thought Orange amps were cool anyway.

6. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

I've bought a lot of gear over the last few months and nothing has impressed me as much as the Micro Terror. For the money, I think everyone should try it, just to see for themselves.

7. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

Guitarmikey, I've got to say I really dig your Ragin' Cajun in that cool homemade cabinet.

I have a Ragin' Cajun in my Super Champ XD Fender and that is an awesome super loud, great sounding speaker with a sensitivity rating of something like 104dB; where the stock speaker in my SCXD was something like 97dB. So that speaker, alone, probably made the amp about twice as loud, and it has great tone and reproduces those amp models of the SCXD with great sounds and beautiful tone.

I made some stereo speakers out of varnished pine years ago that remind me of beginner models of your cabinet.

I think I'd like to try to make a cabinet like that.

I think I'd try to make it a closed back version and stain it darker and oil finish it instead of varnishing or poly'ing it.

Plus this would give me an excuse to buy a Micro Terror. I bet one of those Micro Terrors would be a cool amp to mess around with.

I might go with a twelve inch speaker even. Something like an Eminence "Swamp Thang", a great sounding speaker that I have two of in my Avatar vintage style cab - I ordered it with them and am very happy with that cabinet.

It looks like your have your pine cabinet wired so that you can unplug the Micro Terror and plug another amp into it, making even more use of that awesome Ragin' Cajun speaker. I have to say that the Ragin' Cajun is on of my favorite speakers. It weighs a ton for a ten inch speaker and really produces some remarkable sounds. Obviously I like Eminence speakers too. I might even try a different one of their speakers but the Swamp Thang definitely produces the sound that I really dig - clean, clear, deep bass tones; great mids; and great sounding highs. It's just a great sounding speaker that really rocks out.

Yeah, congratulations on that really nice speaker cabinet build. It looks cool with the Micro Terror sitting in it. I bet it has turned a few heads and left others scratching their heads. Ha ha.

I'd like to see a couple more pictures of that cabinet; from the front, an angle shot, etc. I could dig that if you get the time, presuming you still have that cab - which I suppose would be very, very hard to part with.

8. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

I have quite a few nice amps, all of which are more powerful than the MT. Mostly very much more powerful.

Many comments speak of how "loud" the MT is. I am wondering if I buy one of these and plug it into my two by twelve or four by twelve cab, will it also be too loud to get into the best sound it makes, at bedroom or house hold volume. I can turn up my amps moderately loud at all times of the day, but can't crank them until mid day or afternoon.

I want an amp that I will be able to get that just over the edge into distortion sound, at moderate volume, where the amp will really sound good - possibly better than these forty and higher power amps that I have at the same volume.

Rock and blues. Teles and PRS SE', and a nice Gibson LP Junior with a good P90 are the wielded tools.

Note: I am "seriously" ready to buy one of these, possibly today and I hope I have thought this thru enough. I know it's not much money, but I want to add to my collection and not throw money away on something that is going to only be able to do what I am already able to do.

My personal idea is that this should be able to be pushed into that rich zone where it will sound great, where I can't push my big amps into that rich zone at present unless I crank them up a lot louder.

So, will the MT be able to get that crunch, just into distortion sound at a more house hold, neighborhood friendly type volume? I live in a rural area and none of the neighbors are very close.

It seems like it would be a cool addition to what I have.

I can't try one out around here because no one sells them. I heard one being played at a store here a year or so ago and I remember that it sounded awesome.

Like I said, I'm ready to order one of these today.

If you think you can be of assistance, your feedback is appreciated.

Thanks in advance. I'm recovering from major surgery, so go easy on me if this sounds stupid or foolish. I know everything is personal preference, but I'm asking you for your own personal preference as it might apply to my situation.

9. foundjoe

foundjoe Tele-Holic

I don't own one, but have played through one at the local music store a couple of times. The store owner keeps pushing me to buy one every time I go in, but I just haven't pulled the trigger yet as I have some other amps I want to check out first. Anyway, I think it gets a very decent tone at lower volumes, however, tone is really subjective so you would still want to play one yourself. There are a lot of online retailers that have good return policies. It would pretty easy just to buy one and send it back right away if you don't like it. It's really small so it wouldn't be troublesome at all to repackage it for return. But it's also cheap and really cute, maybe you'd just want to keep it as a fun back-up even if it didn't quite perform the way you want it to.

asnarski likes this.
  10. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

Duff, I believe your thinking is on the right track. I can run my Micro Terror through my 4X12 and get amazing gain tones bellow bedroom level. Yet, the amp is loud enough to go beyond bedroom level, if you want it to. It has enough clean headroom for me, but also enough gain to get insane. I, also, have a CR120 that I use for greater headroom with pedals and more power to the low notes. But, I don't really need it inside the house. (Please don't tell my wife.) That is probably why the Micro Terror is so impressive. You get to that sweet spot a lot sooner than with the typical, more powerful amps. It makes me feel sorry for folks who feel they have to spend hundreds for low watt tube amps, to get the same results.

Just go order the Micro Terror. You'll be back singing its praise, too. I love this thing so much I feel like putting a personal guarantee on it every time hear of someone on the fence about it.

11. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

Well Blakestree, I just ordered one of the Micro Terrors from Sweetwater. I also paid for the two day air delivery. I don't like to have my amps rattling around in UPS trucks for days, if you know what I mean. The least time in their hands the better, the way I see it.

The Sweetwater salesman sounded a little arrogant but threw in a 15 foot right angle/straight Fender weave guitar cable for me. I don't know how Sweetwaters return policy is, if they just want to give you a store credit, or if they give you your money back. Never having done that I don't know, but the salesmen seem to be a bit on the pushy side, so I have no idea how they would react to a return request. What do you think? Do they have a good return policy?

Thanks for the replies. You guys pretty much verified what I was thinking as far as the low volume use of the amp goes. I know they get pretty loud and being twenty watts I suppose that is to be expected. Plus the preamp tube might boost the power section some too; I'm not sure about that. I like the hybrid idea in a small amp like this. Plus it's a simple amp with no modeling, etc.

I'm looking forward to having some fun with it.

12. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

I know exactly what you mean about UPS. They destroyed two of the speakers in my 4X12!

Sorry you didn't get on too well with the Sweetwater salesperson. Sweetwater is my favorite "big box" music gear retailer. They seem intent on providing the best customer service. Although, I've never had a return with them. I'm not one to take advantage of "buy and try" return policies. Those Fender cables are some of my favorites, though. Nice score, there.

Twenty solid-state watts ain't all that much. But, the Micro Terror seems louder than its rating suggests. Maybe it is the tube? Or, maybe it's just Orange magic. :D

13. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

Yeah, I never send anything back unless it is broken or something is wrong with it.

Do you think that when I hook this up to my two by twelve cabinet that I will have some range of volume going from zero thru some usable bedroom levels before it goes to "loud"? That is what I'm hoping for.

I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe that has a hair trigger volume knob with "zero" range of volume adjustability - it just goes straight from zero volume to "loud" with nothing in between. I hope the MT doesn't do that.

What do you think? Will I have some low volume range of adjustability? Hopefully I can have it turned down to moderately low volume and get a good sound. Obviously I'm anxious now, waiting to see how this is going to work out. I think it will be okay for what I'm trying to achieve, so I'm not going to worry too much.

14. Hedgerow

Hedgerow TDPRI Member

Well you can always run it without a speaker with headphones. It's designed to do that without damaging the amp. I checked with Orange tech support. Also you can plug an iphone or ipod into the aux in and jam away. One interesting point that tech support told me (quote from the email exchange)..."Btw – The MT20H works perfectly with a 16 ohm or 8 ohm load.
    However, even though we silk-screened on the back of the head that it'll support a 4 ohm load, we've found out after it went into production that it would cut out when trying to push a 4 ohm load.
    So as long as you don't run it on a 4 ohm load, it will perform properly."

And I continue the trend by stating this is one awesome amp!

15. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

FWIW, I've run mine under 4 ohm load and not had it cut out. I've read lots of reports of it happening to people, when pushed. But, not to me. Although, I wasn't trying to make it happen.

asnarski likes this.
  16. rdo1708

rdo1708 Tele-Holic

The 4 ohm thing seems to only affect the MT when the volume is very high for long periods of time. Example: if the gain is on full and the volume is at 3 o'clock or higher for an entire gig or rehearsal.

asnarski likes this.
  17. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

Hedgerow,

Yes I read about the four ohm overheating. I'm planning on using a 16 ohm cab anyway, so that should not be a problem.

My main concern is that I will be able to run it at a low volume at home, that is reasonable and not too loud. I don't like those hair trigger volume knobs that go from zero to "loud" with no gradual build up to loud.

I should be getting the amp by Friday.

18. Duffy

Duffy Tele-Holic

Continuing to feel anxious in anticipation of getting my new Micro Terror. It's always the same.

I haven't used a small amp like this in a long time and that was a Crate Palamino V5, that I still have. It has a speaker in it, a ten inch one. I have not pulled that one out in a while. I do not remember it as being a remarkable amp but I should get it out and refresh my memory.

I have a small five watt all tube Peavey JSX Mini Colossal that is an incredible amp with an eight inch speaker. It has a high quality tremolo but only volume and tone knobs. With my Boss OD-3 it is a truly incredible sounding amp. It has an eight inch Weber speaker in it and it sounds great and gets super screaming loud with the OD pedal put into play.

I suppose the MT will respond to the OD-3 equally well. It is going to be fun to check out.

Is anyone else using their MT with a 16 ohm speaker? I have read that it works really well with 16 ohms.

I'm really looking forward to checking out this cool little amp. I have a Carbon Copy delay with a mild chorus switchable effect that will be fun to check out along with one of my reverb pedals. I have a half way decent Digitech Hard Wire reverb pedal that sounds real good to me.

I'll check out what types of guitars it likes best, but it sounds like it prefers humbuckers. I have been playing my tele with Vintage Noiseless pickups on and off over the last two days. I'm wondering how that will sound with the MT. I suppose my Squier Butterscotch Blonde Classic Vibe will tear it up. The BSB CV is a very bright and great sounding tele. It sounds better than my MIM Fender Standard tele with Seymour Duncan single coils in it.

I have noticed lately watching YouTubes that a lot of these professional guitar players in these big time bands actually use some rather inexpensive, half way decent guitars like Epiphone SG's, etc. I think the average beginner thinks that the stars use only top of the line equipment.

Sometimes you get attached to a certain guitar and you can get it to make sounds and produce tones that you can get from none other than it, no matter if it is an inexpensive entry level guitar or a super nice model.

Soon I'll be able to compare my MT to some of my other amps and see how it compares for general house hold use. I'm hoping that it will be a mind blowing amp.

Then I can get into switching around some tubes. That sounds like fun.

I'm glad I go for that five watt Bugera Infinium two channel head with reverb. With all its features I don't think it is going to be able to do "one thing" really well like the MT.

19. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

The Micro Terror is supposed to be optimized for an 8 ohm load. I've run mine at 4, 8, and 16 ohms and, personally, noticed no difference. I primarily use a 16 ohm load because all my amps are happy with that.

20. Hedgerow

Hedgerow TDPRI Member

I love my MXR Carbon Copy! Best analog delay I have had since the DOD FX-90

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.