Orange Micro Terror Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Bulldog87, Jul 6, 2012.

1. bla99ard

bla99ard TDPRI Member

I've had one of these things for a year and they are an awesome little amp. I've recorded a fair bit with it and put it up against the Amplitube sims (via the direct signal) and it holds up really well. I run it through a 1x10, 1x12, or a 4x12, all with V30s and whatever the equivalent is in 10".

asnarski likes this.
  2. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've been experimenting with a new speaker and some of my other speakers and cabs.

I've have run a 2 x 12 with a Celestion Greenback and a WGS Green Beret, very vintage late 60's to early 70's like tones.

I have a PPC112 copy I made with a WGS Veteran 30 (Vintage 30 copy) and a recently made 110 cab with a Weber 10V (10" V30 copy). While the Vet 30 is slightly warmer (due to size?), the 10V sounds pretty damn good too. Either of the V30 type speakers sound much better at gigging volume levels, otherwise the tend to be bright.

I have another 112 with a WGS Reaper (G12H-30 Anniversary copy), that I like more than the V30 types. Rich warm tones while retaining much of the treble. As WGS describes it a Greenback on steroids. A much richer tone.

I have a 210 cab I made that currently houses a Weber Signature AlNiCo 10s and a Jensen C12R. It has some really rich tones. The slightly scooped mids sound pretty good with this amp. A nice bluesy tone.

I just got a Weber Signature AlNiCo 12S and using it in the Faux PPC112 cab. So far not bad at all. A little acute tones, without the partial frequency cancellations from the two speaker cab. Doesn't feel quite as big as the 210, but it doesn't have quite the surface area of the 2 10" speakers. I've currently got my iPod playing through it via the OMT. It too is shaping up to be a nice bluesy speaker.

3. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted

Do you have any clips od the 1x10 setup? I've been toying with the idea of picking up a micro terror, but only have a 10" speaker lying around to build a cab for and wasn't sure if it would be worth it.

4. MadJack

No sound clips of videos. I'm not much of a recording player.

As for a 10" speaker, I find the Weber 10V a bit bright and I'm finding the OMT to be a bit heavy in the mid to bright tones. The tones can be tamed some with the Tone control, but a good tube should help quite a bit. For the speaker, a larger (for a 10" speaker cab) will help. Mostly you'll want a deeper cab to help enhance the lower frequencies.

5. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted

Cool, thanks. I have an 18x18x11.5 box built, just need to make the baffle and load it up. I'm thinking unsealed to get a bit more 'loose' bass?

asnarski likes this.
  6. MadJack

I'm finding I like a little tighter tone with the OMT. Don't be shy about experimenting with opening sizes and a closed back. You could also try sectioning the back into thirds and work with just a few center panels with different sized openings.

With my Lil' Night Train 110 Cab I built I started with a ¼ of the back open, 3/8 of the back covered at top (with speaker jack), 3/8 covered at the bottom, remaining ¼ open, with slats on side to bolt to. The tone I got from it was too loose for my taste. I made a filler panel to fill the open space, but then it became a bit too tight. Made another filler panel, with a 1¼" x 11" slot, that was just right.

7. thegoatking

thegoatking Tele-Meister

just joined the microterror club. i'm running it through a 1x15 cab that i built for it using an old ampeg 15". absolutely love the amp, the cab, everything....

i've got a couple older tubes rolling around in a drawer, i might try to swap around to see if i like anything better, but for 120, i cannot find anything about this amp to complain about. for 300 i couldn't find anything to complain about honestly.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

Welcome to the club!

I just received my wife's X-mas Micro Terror, today. I think I'm going to pair it with a Bugera 2X12. I might end up getting a second MT for stereo!!!

9. ModernCellist

ModernCellist TDPRI Member

I'm not supposed to know about it, my birthday is today (Monday) but my 8 year old son picked out for me a MicroTerror and matching cab used from GC (paid with my GC card ;-) ) it's sitting in his closet while he's sleeping. I'm so tempted!

Will post pics tomorrow!!

10. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

It seems you have done a good deal of experimenting with the Micro Terror and different speakers. Would you have a recommendation to fill in this equation?

humbuckers -> fuzz pedal -> Micro Terror(w/12AU7?) -> ??? @ bedroom level

Thanks!

11. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

Hey, Happy Birthday! And, welcome to the club.

12. SuperlativeCow

SuperlativeCow NEW MEMBER!

I picked one up yesterday despite some reviews claiming that playing straight to headphones sounded terrible. That hasn't been my experience at all. I've been using Grado SR60's and there is definitely hum but I've found the overall quality of sounds unbelievable. I've been playing on an American Standard Telecaster (so I assumed some of the buzz was due to single-coils) and I've found it has a surprisingly great mild gain sound as well.

As some others have mentioned, I'd considered swapping out the tubes before I got one (supposedly although it cannot be rebiased this is not necessary). However, I've found the stock tubes to have a great arc and although I would never play it below a gain set at 9:30 it's amazing how many sweet spots it has.

13. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

Hey, welcome to the club! I used to have a pair of SR60s. Loved 'em. Shouldn't have sold 'em.

14. MadJack

What style(s) of music do you play? Any particular artist you like to emulate?

Seeing as you're liking a 12AU7 in there and you're on the TDPRI (most likely playing a Tele), you're probably not playing too much Black Sabbath! :twisted:

15. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

heh, i too like the u7 ( also they are dirty cheap for NOS, heh main reason i even bought one to try )for its clean tone.. very jazzy. its pretty trippy how well this amp responds to tubes.
    it was night an day from two others iv tried.

chris.

16. blakestree

blakestree Tele-Meister

The humbuckers I was talking about are in a G-400 PRO. I'm interested in trying the 12AU7 in my Micro Terror to increase clean headroom and let my fuzz pedal be the star. For recording purposes, I just wanna make fuzzy drones. However, I'm influenced by fuzz ranging from Hendrix to The Smashing Pumpkins to sludge/stoner/doom metal.

Right now, I'm leaning toward ordering an Avatar 1X12 with their Hellatone 30.

I just got a Pro Junior and intend to use it with my Telecaster, with single coils, for clean tones and modulation effects.

17. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Tele-Holic

Welcome to the club, al you new people :cool:

18. chill75

chill75 TDPRI Member

Hey there! I have a (possibly stupid) question. I own a VHT special 6. Could I use the micro terror as a pedal and add it to the pedalboard and pair those two babies up simultaneously?

19. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

What's a good tube if you want lots of breakup at lower volumes? I have never experimented with tube swapping before. .

20. heavymike

heavymike TDPRI Member

You can! I have used mine using the headphones out. When you plug into headphone jack it disconnects the power amp. I am pretty sure (not 100%) that it will not harm the amp as long as the amp isnt loaded when you turn it on, just don't unload the speaker out of the amplifier otherwise you will damage the class d amplifier.

Also I joined this forum just to be aprt of the MT club!

Cheers!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.