Orange Micro Terror Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Bulldog87, Jul 6, 2012.

1. rwfelton

rwfelton TDPRI Member

i do want to add to the video that i posted that i was also using a rogue analog delay. don't know why i left that out of the description.

2. rwfelton

rwfelton TDPRI Member

also try different preamp tubes. there are people on here that say swapping tubes doesn't do much. that means they haven't tried it. it's worth the $10 to $20 bucks each to try them out. trust me they do make a difference. and it also has a lot to do with what kind of axe you are using.

3. dynovalve

dynovalve TDPRI Member

I have quite a few friends around here that are tube nerds/snobs. We have rolled TONS of tubes together at "tone party's" through vintage amps and pure circuits that you can really tell what the tube is doing.
    This being said, I cannot for the life of me understand what anyone (lots of people) could like about JJ preamp tubes. It's just an amazement to me.They are the flattest,dullest non dynamic,preamp tube there is. Yank yours out of your micro terror and put in
    anything else. You'll see what I mean.

4. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i still have mine i was stupid and wasted a 100.00 on the speaker that came with it. o well live and learn. i have a bunch of head phone amps, the orange and the greta ( i use it for mp3s these days on my desk top, guess that says the micro is a full blown amp, not a novility? heh just joking greta lovers ) are the only two small tube amps i have. it did respond quite well to new tubes.

rock on.
    chris.

5. hartwell

hartwell TDPRI Member

Got mine last week - just the head. Didn't care much for the tone at first but replaced the stock 12ax7 with an NOS Japanese-made. Made big difference - gain was less hairy, much smoother OD. Still found the cleans lacking punch so I replaced the power supply with a 15v 5amp supply. Cleans are lovely now, really full-bodied and awesome with a strat. Now I want another orange amp...

I would like to get the matching cab for fun but seems like it would need a speaker change...?Anyone recommend a good British-voiced 8"? The British drivers seem to work best with this amp to my ears.

6. kbraker

kbraker Tele-Meister

I have an Eminence private jack in an open cab. Sounds real good.

7. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Tele-Holic

I wouldn't go for an 8 incher, I would go for a 10 or a 12 (or maybe a 2 speaker rig) instead.

8. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just pulled my Seismic 2 X 12 out from the other room tonight and rocked it for a while. The cab has a WGS Retro 30 and a Reaper. A 2 X 12 sounds awesome with the OMT! I've only read mixed reviews with the PPC108. They did fare better with two.

For some reason, this makes me want to build an Orange 4 X 8 cab with four Celestion Eight 15s in it! If not that, then try the Blackstar HT-408 cab.

9. rwfelton

rwfelton TDPRI Member

mine seems to sound better with 2x12 8ohm cab than it did with a 4x12 16 ohm cab or a 1x12 8ohm cab. like almost anything the two speakers really give it a sense of balance.

10. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's

A lot of people seem to be asking about tube swaps and speaker combinations. If you're wondering whether you should try mixing these things up with your MT, the answer is: YES!

I had a box full of 12AX7's and none of them sounded the same in this amp. I wanted more clean headroom, and got it with a 12AU7.

As for speakers, I bought the matching cab but was unimpressed so I sold it to a metal-head who had a MT and wanted a small apt practice rig. I usually run my MT through a 12" cab, and it's a completely different experience. Much more open and dynamic. I've gigged with it through a Marshall cab and it was fantastic.

You really can't judge this amp until you've tried it with different tubes and speakers.

11. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

Some really useful information here lately!

Say Hartwell, can you provide the details about the replacement power supply, the brand and all because I think I would try that.

Thanks guys!

12. MadJack

There's a number of different ones on fleaBay. I'm looking to get one this next weekend, they're inexpensive enough.

13. hartwell

hartwell TDPRI Member

I picked up a universal laptop power supply at The Source - it wasn't. cheap but I have a couple of old laptops so it was worth the investment. It comes with a bunch of different tips and you can dial in the voltage . It is made by nexxtech.

For the terror, I dialed in 15v volts and the transformer supplies 5 amps at that voltage.

Hope this helps.

14. hartwell

hartwell TDPRI Member

I think you're right - I've ordered a reignmaker by eminence.

15. rwfelton

rwfelton TDPRI Member

i put a russian EHX 12AX7 in mine and it seems that the cleans are much brighter.

16. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Tele-Holic

I recently got an Ibanez TS112C 1x12 cab to go with my MT. It's a little more "grab n go" than my Fender 2x12 cab

17. MadJack

I swapped my speakers around today. Put the Celestion G12M Greenback and the WGS Green Beret in the 2 X 12". If you like the vintage 70's rock such as Black Sabaath it's the right pair. I put the WGS Retro 30 in my 1 X 12" cab and closed the back and I got more modern Orange tones.

Either speaker set sounds good with my Monte Allums Tri-Gain RAT. I definitely prefer Humbuckers or P90s with this amp. The cleans are chimier with the Retro 30, but still doesn't compare to the semi-cleans of my AC15 with the Weber AlNiCo Blue Dog and my 1 X 10" extension with the AlNiCo Blue Pup.

18. MadJack

I just did one more swap. I put the WGS Reaper in the 1 X 12" Closed back cab. Whoa! That's some powerful sound. Rich strong lows, crunchy mids and clean highs. As the WGS website says "This speaker sounds like a Green Beret on steroids." It goes very well with the OMT. It's like the rich powerful tones of the Vintage 30/Retro 30 and the mid range warmth and crunch of the Greenback/Green Beret. I think I have a new favorite speaker for it.

19. hartwell

hartwell TDPRI Member

I got my reignmaker speaker last week and put it in an open back cabinet. Works really well with this amp.

20. rwfelton

rwfelton TDPRI Member

i just got the maverick and it does too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.