1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Orange Micro Terror Club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by Bulldog87, Jul 6, 2012.

1. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

MF has the Kustom 1x12 Defender cab on sale for $59.

2. iagtrplyr12

iagtrplyr12 Tele-Meister

Good call, dqami, and thanks. Has anyone used Kustom cabs? I believe they're made by those who are building the Acoustic line for MF, and maybe that's why the price drop. I'll go check 'em out. Heck, for $59 even if the tone isn't top-notch it'll still have some bottom to it.

Edit: Checked out the Kustom website. I was incorrect, they don't seem to be connected in any way with Acoustic. It just seems some of both brands' products are quite similar.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
    asnarski likes this.
  3. iagtrplyr12

iagtrplyr12 Tele-Meister

Just checked out the Kustom cab. Seems like a decent value, but I'm wondering about the 16 Ohm rating. I know the Terror is fine with 4 and 8 Ohm loads, but will you lose a little volume with the 16?

Edit: Read a couple of articles concerning impedance and it sounds like you may lose a fraction of power output, but being it's a solid stare power amp it most likely won't affect volume. If anyone has a different opinion or experience please share it those of us who are interested.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  4. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

for that price, you could always swap the speaker out if you didn't like it.

asnarski likes this.
  5. milospilo

milospilo TDPRI Member

My band have purchased one as a backup/emergency amp and it now lives in THE GLOVEBOX of the van. How cool is that?!!?

We tried it on a gig the other night and it sounded fine. For the price that orange are asking (less than a lot of FX pedals) you'd be a bit silly not to get one.

6. iagtrplyr12

iagtrplyr12 Tele-Meister

I officially booted my own keister out of the MT Club earlier today by sending the Terror back to Sweetwater. It had nothing to do with its sound, but more the gear situation I got myself into due to either a bad decision or bad luck. I'm now off in search of a bedroom (i.e. 1-watt amp) rocker, with more gain at a lower volume than the MT.

Good luck fellas, and enjoy your Terrors!

7. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Need more gain? I have a Dark Terror that I'm selling because it has too much gain ...

8. iagtrplyr12

iagtrplyr12 Tele-Meister

Hi Mike. Nah, that's way too much for what my application will be. I'm looking at the Blackstar HT-1r head to pair up with my 15" cab. I'm envisioning Black Sabbath tone at bedroom levels.

You're not kidding when you say that your DT is a gain monster. I've heard it and it is awesome, but not in a 10' x 9' space. That baby needs to get out and run!

9. ChrisSinNH

ChrisSinNH TDPRI Member

I just had to, mini stack it

Well my birthday is coming up and i have a toy fund i put money away in for stuff like this so i decided to order 2 of the 108's to go with the micro, they arrived...

I need to take more time to play with them, but i do like the sound of them. Since everyone's sound tastes and expectations are usually higher, i will just give my opinion.

If you have a few extra bucks for a , lets call it a "novelty stack", you wont be disappointed. But if you expect them to sound like a pair of celestion vintage 30's stacked dont.. But i didnt expect them to , i bought them for what they are 8 inches, i had no big expectations, just figured they would sound good.

I have had a few combos with 8 inch speakers and they sounded like tinny noise monsters. But not these.

These have a nice deep thick sound. I need to play more but i think they do not do the distortion capabilities of the micro terror justice. But i personally am not a distortion monger. So i really like them.
    This weekend i will test them more and even make one an "open back" to see if i like it more.

Attached Files:

10. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I keep coming back to this thread to ogle- I admit it, I'm smitten!

Chris, I look forward to hearing the results of your cab experiments.

How loud and clean can the MT get through one 8" cab? Loud enough for small gigs with a restrained drummer? How's it sound with pedals?

11. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

That is really great looking! Eventually I'm going to get a second 108 cab! Gotta sell a few things before I buy any more! I have found a lot of amps that I like, but this is up there in the top three.

12. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Of all of my cabs, the 2X8 is a fav as well with th MT.
    Since it takes less to push the 8s than the 12s it seems warmer and has more low end. My 2X8 is an open back deep wedge cab made for a single 12 or 2 10s loaded with inexpensive webers.

I love it for home volume . . . :D

13. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Of all of my cabs, the 2X8 is a fav as well with th MT.
    Since it takes less to push the 8s than the 12s it seems warmer and has more low end. My 2X8 is an open back deep wedge cab made for a single 12 or 2 10s loaded with inexpensive webers.

I love it for home volume . . . :D

It could be, depends on the drummer and how clean you like your guitar to be

14. ChrisSinNH

ChrisSinNH TDPRI Member

I really didn't get much time to experiment with the open back , but the one i did briefly try open back the seemed to drop massively in volume output. But i will test some more this coming weekend.

I hope this post isnt really of topic , since the ppc108 speakers are the speakers design by orange to go with the Orange Micro terror...

Tarnisher,
    in my opinion it would be very marginal with just one of these speakers (and the micro amp) giging with a drummer. They are loud in the sense of an 8 inch but not "loud".
    When i used to do bars solo, i know i would easily do a 100 person bar with it like that though.
    On mine i can keep it clean until half volume and half gain settings.

They do have a slight boxy sound, but not overly noticeable at all. I really like them paired with the Micro Terror. And have been using them as they sit.

Now on the construction for those inquiring minds, first i figured i was paying mostly for the name "orange" but not really what i thought
    Solidly built albeit out of mdf. But no room inside either , the speaker is a bit larger than i figured. i expected a small tiny back magnet and a smooth cone.
    But not so, here is a pic of the insides

Attached Files:

15. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

Chris: Thanks for the pictures. That is good to know!

16. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

So what's the verdict? Are you just paying for the name "Orange" and the orange tolex? How does it compare to similar products at similar price points?

17. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

From the looks of that speaker it looks like more than you'd get out a Vox product of the same design . . .

18. javoooh

javoooh NEW MEMBER!

Does it handle pedals well ???

19. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Ok, still digging the MT but after a bit of playing I feel that you still need power tubes to get the creamy crunch goodness of the tiny terror.
    Once I replace the TT I'll know for sure and post a vid.

20. Sune Andersson

Sune Andersson Tele-Meister

Just bought me a Micro Terror and a PPC108 and I love it! Especially in the combination with my Fender Excelsior. That combo is DYNAMITE!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.