Orange drops vs foil& poly caps

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by jmpmachine, Dec 16, 2013.

1. jmpmachine

jmpmachine NEW MEMBER!

Has any one really noticed a difference in coupling caps? If so how much, really seems like splitting hairs at that point.

2. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

My experience and take:

Orange sprague - good for rock guitars; good treble reponse and articulation
    Paper in oil - good for guitars that are a little trebly in nature like Teles; smoother tone; less treble and good midrange
    Metal film - good all around cap for most guitars; good bass response

Sozo caps are generally not my choice for guitars but they do seem to be good for certain types of uses for distortion or fuzz type tones.

3. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Aaaaand we're off!

4. Watto

Watto Tele-Meister

I like Mallory 150's or Jupiter Condensor Yellow caps,

I hate Orange Drops, they sound trebley and brittle to me , I don't know why so many people use them. I have bags of them I've taken out of amps. Just not my thang

5. Little Jay

Little Jay Tele-Meister

Maybe it's useful to distinguish in function of the cap: caps that are in the signal path or caps that bleed off signal to ground.

In my Twin Reverb clone I had OD715s as tonecaps (bass and mid caps). I changed those to TAD Mustard caps (Film-to-Foil Alu/PE) and they smoothened the tone to my ears.

But when I changed the coupling cap of the vibrato channel to a TAD Mustard, I didn't like that: it became a bit gritty. So I changed it back a the original OD.

6. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

ANY perceived difference between coupling caps, will be....at best....marginal.

It's NOT like the difference between a '60 VW Beetle, and a '63 Chevy Corvette.

7. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

When I saw Orange Drops in my Traynor YCV40, I took it as a sign that the whole amp is well built. If they didn't scrimp and try to save a few pennies on green chiclets, I feel better about the level of care that went into parts sourcing/design/construction for the entire amp. That is likely flawed, too, but I doubt it's any more flawed than thinking an electrical signal cares about polyethylene, foil, or mylar to any audible degree.

I guess I'm in the camp that believes that the farad value of the cap is what affects the tonality, not the composition. I have a capacitance tester so I check cap values before I swap them out or in. If I'm pressed for space or I don't have the right value Orange Drop or Mallory, I'll throw in a green chiclet without a second thought (because I ordered a kit that had a range of green chiclets).

8. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

As long as you respect the voltage rating.

9. Gnobuddy

Gnobuddy Friend of Leo's

I painted some brown 25-cent ceramic disc capacitors orange, and they immediately sounded much better. Moulding some Bondo over them to look like an Orange Drop and then painting them orange resulted in a much more glorious sound. The sun began to shine and the birds to sing every time I played through this cap.

After that I found some rotting old vintage newspaper from circa WWII in the attic, and glued vintage aluminum foil to both sides to make my own paper capacitor. It sounded good when I soaked the paper in cheap oil from Costco. But it sounded much better when I replaced the cheap oil with very expensive aromatic essential oil from the aromatherapy section of Wild Oats. The $50 a drop stuff was the best sounding.

I also painted my guitar cable orange, and my $100 guitar immediately began to sound like a $5000 guitar with Joe Bonamassa strapped to it.

I love orange, it makes everything guitar-related much much gooderer! :D

-Gnobuddy

10. fezz parka

fezz parka ---------------------------

OD 225ps sound fine.

11. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Are you refurbing an Orange amp?

12. figaro

figaro Tele-Meister

Many years ago when I was first learning about working on amps I read a Torrez guitar amp article about how replacing the caps in old amps with orange drop caps will improve the sound. So I replaced all the original blue caps in a blackface Fender Tremolux amp with the same value orange drop caps and it totally changed the sound, and not for the good. The sound became trebly and removed all the warmth from the amp. I don't know which number of orange drop cap I used then but I've since compared the current orange drop caps that are available to the Mallory 150 caps and the Mallory 150s sound closer (warmer) to the vintage fender blue caps. I haven't tried the Sozo caps.

If you think the type of cap doesn't make a difference in the sound of a guitar amp, try what I did. You will hear the difference.

13. Little Jay

Little Jay Tele-Meister

True, very subtle differences, probably only audible in a quiet music room and/or in a recording, and not on stage.

14. Huxley

Huxley TDPRI Member

as far as I have been informed, the strongest and most significant difference between both brand and composition of capacitors, is reliability and consistency from one cap to another. In other words, Sprague/Vishay has great quality control. Silver/mica capacitors last for a looooooooooong time.

15. Fred Mertz

Fred Mertz Tele-Afflicted

All Orange Drops are not the same. The 715p and 716p caps are polypropylene/aluminum foil composition. The 418p and 225p caps are polyester/aluminum foil composition. I doubt that I could distinguish the differences between the caps in a blind listening test.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.