Orange Crush Mini 3w with a new cab, or Orange Crush 12W?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by blingdogg, Sep 25, 2021.

1. blingdogg

blingdogg Tele-Meister

So I live in a quiet apartment and use an Orange Micro Crush 3W as my main amp at the moment. I just play at home, don't play with a band or gig ever. 100% bedroom player.

I'm pretty happy with the Orange Micro Crush 3W (except cleans could be a bit nicer and louder) and rarely turn the volume up past halfway. Note: I only use my fuzz pedals for dirt, not the amp's gain.

But I do hear that many people say this amp sounds so much better through a cab ( it can be hooked up to an external speaker) since it's speaker is so tiny.

My question : would it make sense to either buy a cab for this 3W amp, even though I never turn it up past half volume, as I've heard the dirty time is much improved? Or does it make sense to buy a larger Orange Crush version like the 12W which benefits from a larger speaker, and perhaps benefit from better tone quality?

I guess what I'm getting at is does it even make sense to get a cab or 12W Crush since I only play the Micro Crush 3W at half volume (with dirt pedals). Not sure if sound quality would be noticeable.

Thanks!

2. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

Try a 10” or 12” cab first. If you don’t think it makes a big enough difference, you’ll have a can for a new head or an extension cab for a new combo.

blingdogg likes this.
  3. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Your taste in amps can change over time, but speaker preferences usually don’t. A cab with decent speakers can be used with other amps (and opens up the world of amp heads) and may stay with you for the rest of your life.

blingdogg and radiocaster like this.
  4. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

Here, I made this for you, OP. Just killing time waiting for the Michigan game to start. The difference was more marked in the room than it comes across in the video. I had my iPad about four feet away from the speakers; probably should have moved it further away.

In general, I’m not a big fan of that little Orange preamp. Check out the little Hotone amp I demoed here:
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/this-little-guy.1082229/

Coffeemutt and blingdogg like this.
  5. blingdogg

blingdogg Tele-Meister

Thanks for the replies everyone. I may end up getting a small cab, and good thing is it will stay with me over time, no matter the amp.
    Much appreciated! Thanks for taking the time set that up and make the vid. I do a hear difference and I think it's worth investing for myself. If anything I can always keep the cab if/when I move in to another amp.

Oh and I think the preamp is ok but there's room for improvement; but that's my taste.

Bluego1 likes this.
  6. blingdogg

blingdogg Tele-Meister

I just had a thought : do you know if the Micro Crush 3W is also based on the same Rockverb 50 like the Crush models from 12W and upwards?

7. Bluego1

Bluego1 Tele-Afflicted

I don’t know. I have the 35RT and it’s much easier to dial in, obviously, with the b/m/t controls but I didn’t even know it was based on the Rockverb 50.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.