Orange Crush 35RT video clips...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jakedog, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

It all sounded good, dirtier stuff sounded solid, the cleans sounded great. Seems like a lotta amp for that low ticket price.

2. buddhuu

buddhuu Tele-Meister

Nice clips. :)

Orange has SS so nailed.

3. jonyorker

jonyorker Tele-Meister

I wonder if the 20RT sounds as good...

4. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I do not know. I haven't tried one. I think it would be very safe to assume that they are extremely similar where sonics are concerned.

I didn't even look at that model because I was looking beyond practice amp needs. I wanted one I could use for rehearsals and small gigs with a full band.

I didn't feel like chancing that with the 20 after not being able to get enough headroom with the micro terror I tried.

I used my 35 Sunday night at rather good sized music club. They had full PA and everything was mic'd, but it wasn't in the monitors and nobody on stage had trouble hearing it. Least off all me.

We're not a really loud band, but I was still impressed. It wasn't nearly maxed out. Still had plenty of gas pedal left had I needed it.

5. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

Nice clips and great playing, but I gotta tell you: I was surprised to learn that Jakedog isn't your real name. :)

6. jonyorker

jonyorker Tele-Meister

is the 35 just as nice quiet as it is loud, or does it need to have it's volume cranked to get the sweet tones out of it?

7. Jakedog

I think it sounds best with a little volume on it, but no. It does not have to be cranked way up. It gets some very nice tones down nice and low.

Those clips are in my living room, which is in a tiny condo. I had to keep it quiet enough not to overdrive the mic in my iPhone. We all seem to agree it still sounds pretty good.

8. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

Jakedog: can you comment on how loud the Orange is compared to a Princeton Reverb Reissue? I'm mainly thinking about cleans.

9. Jakedog

It's loud. Small club giggable loud, if the band is reasonable. I've played it in a medium sized venue as well, maybe 300 capacity with a mic on it.

If you can, try both amps. I'm not sure where the reissue starts to break up. The little Orange is damn loud when it stars to distort some. Too loud for my needs at jams and rehearsals. I run it on the dirt channel, with the gain control set low, so that I can get a slight bit of hair and manage the volume.

10. blackjaw

blackjaw Tele-Meister

Thanks for the candid reviews and clips Jake.

I went to GC to try out a micro dark and ended up playing a 35rt and 20rt also. Sonically both are about the same, one just gets much louder than another but they sounded extremely similar to me. Was really surprised at how light both of them were compared to my similar tube amps. Was extremely impressed by both of them.

I'm waiting for the sales this week but one of these guys will be in my living room in the next week or so.

11. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

I tried an Orange CR120 last week, very nice sounding amp.

12. WilburBufferson

Hmmmm, sounds like they would be pretty close, based on your description. My drummer hits pretty hard: hard enough that I don't use my PRRI live. Had a Blues Jr. before that and I recall it being not loud enough either. Hmmmm.

13. Jakedog

I've never had a PRRI. I did own a real '69 Princeton, and a couple of blues Jr. amps.

I could never hear the Princeton in a live setting. Even jacked into a 2x12.

The BJr's, likewise, were really hard to use for me in a band setting. The mid-scooped fender voicing disappears for my ears with a band rocking. I have no trouble hearing this Orange at all. It cuts right through everything, without being harsh.

I'm saying it'll be your answer, your mileage definitely may vary. But for me, it's far more audible in a stage mix than either of those amps.

I don't know if it's necessarily louder (a Blues Jr is a LOUD amp for its size) but something about its voicing makes it a lot easier for me to hear.

14. buddhuu

buddhuu Tele-Meister

I'm planning to get the matching 12" extension cab for my CR60C and make a mini stack for when I need to move a bit of air.

I was going to suggest that cab as a pairing for the 35RT, but looking at stores it seems that the PPC112 cab is more expensive than the 35RT! Just shows what a bargain the amps are.

15. WilburBufferson

Thanks! That is really helpful.

16. wildschwein

wildschwein Tele-Afflicted

This guy does a good review of the 120 watt head. Gets a nice Grunge tone on the dirt channel. I want one:

More:

17. Jakedog

The 35 is also NOT equipped with a speaker out. My only complaint about this amp.

18. buddhuu

buddhuu Tele-Meister

SMH. Of course, I did notice that when I checked them out. Slipped my mind.

That said, it's such a simple job to add a jack, or to get a tech to add one for you. The CR60C and the CR120 head and combo will drive 8ohm loads, so plugging a second 16ohm cab in parallel works fine. I'm not sure if the 35RT is as happy with 8ohms so I think I'd make it a switching jack to cut out the internal speaker when plugging in a cab.

Of course, I'm assuming that the 35RT speaker is also 16 ohms - that seems to be Orange's norm with these amps.

19. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

After Blackjaw has informed me that the headphone jack is weak on the Micro Dark head this amp is now on my list. The fact it has reverb is also another benefit I'm digging. Plus it would be cheaper than the MD & 1x8 cab combo by $40. Tonight I'll be at GC with my sister so I'll test it out.

20. Jakedog

Now it's my turn for an SMH moment- I hadn't considered having a jack added.

Shouldn't be an issue. SS amps tend to be MUCH less finnicky about ohm loads than their tube brethren.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.