ORANGE CRUSH 35RT- GOOD?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Chiogtr4x, Sep 29, 2020.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

OK,
    I find myself casually thinking about adding another small ( cheap!) but decent gigging amp to my little collection, and just browsing Sweetwater 'amps under $300' came across this Orange Crush 35RT
    Is anyone familiar with, or own this amp?

I'm already gigging with various 8", 10" and 12" combos, and they all have plenty of power ( for what I may need, I'm the only guitar) so that is not an issue.

I like the straightforward, 2 channels+ Reverb layout of the Orange, and love the idea of 35 watts, 10" speaker, and just 25lbs.

Have no interest in the modeling amps, as I have my own effects, and don't need a bunch of amp 'Voices' I will never use.

* there is nothing wrong with any of the amps I'm using, other than maybe the attraction of a louder Clean tone that I think the Orange may deliver, plus the OD channel seems to have a good sound with a lot of range ( just from demos I ran into)

BUT I have not played one, just finding out about this one right now

Thanks For any opinions!

btw, I'm digging the black one too!

2. TeleBluesMan

TeleBluesMan Tele-Meister

Great little amp. Light weight, easy-to-use with a minimum of controls, built-in tuner. Good sound and lots of power for a small, lightweight dependable amp. I'm not as fond of the distortion channel, but use the clean channel as a platform for effects.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like them, and their big brothers.
    They sound great, and the reverb’s nice, too.
    Reasonably priced, too!

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  4. stonetone7

stonetone7 Tele-Meister

I’ve had my eye on that one too. I’ve been wanting a small solid state amp for a while now, just to save the tubes in my DRRI from practice time.

I’ve seen the demos, and it sounds great, but I’ve never seen one in the wild nor known anyone who has one.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  5. Chiogtr4x

Thank you, nice to know.

As usual ( from demos) folks like to really rock out, much more than I do, when testing out an amp's Gain channel.
    So does that Dirty channel have some range or taper to it, so I could use for say Stones R&R or Allmans? And not be stuck with Super high Gain?

( I have good OD pedals, but it wouks be great to have an amp with a decent dirty channel, and not even use them!).

Thanks, again.

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I gigged the SNOT out of one of those when I was I out in Colorado for a couple years. Killer little grab and go rig. Way more nuts than you’ll be expecting.

stonetone7 and Chiogtr4x like this.
  7. Chiogtr4x

Thanks, it was just refreshing to hear what I think is quality tone, and simple controls and cool build, IMO

brookdalebill likes this.
  8. TeleBluesMan

Yes, you can dial in a little bit of dirt for some rock-and-roll. I tend more towards fuzz when I rock out, so I end up using a big muff pi pedal for that.
    PS. I think the built-in reverb sound is pretty good, too.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  9. TeleBluesMan

PS. And I find the effects loop handy for modulation effects.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  10. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

No, it is not a good amp. It is a great amp!

Light, small and easy to carry. Plenty of volume. Plenty of punch. Great tone. It even feels like a great amp reacting with your guitar and a natural way.

P.

11. Chiogtr4x

Thanks guys, still good to know I can trust my ears. ( I think!)

I have some cool ' fake amps' ( that have the look, and almost the right, corresponding sound), I'm always on a budget...

Blonde Blues Jr.- fake Tweed
    Vox Pathfinder- fake Vox
    Fender Frontman 25R- fake BF/SF
    So,
    The ' fake Orange'- might be a cool addition!
    Will sleep on it.

Jakedog likes this.
  12. Chiogtr4x

Does anyone know if the Fender 1-button footswitch ( that works on both my BJ Fat Switch, and Frontman channel switching) would work as the channel switcher for the Orange Crush?

Or would I need to get the Orange one?
    ( see, I'm getting excited!)

13. M2roadwarrior

M2roadwarrior Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I bought five amps in the last year or so, a Fender, Marshall, 2 Vox, and Orange. Am most impressed with the Orange specifically because of the value and quality for what you get for the price!

brookdalebill and Chiogtr4x like this.
  14. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I do not know. I didn’t use the dirt channel on mine. I think it would slay for grunge, or 70’s stoner rock. It’s very good. It just wasn’t for me. I used my clean boost and OD in front of it.

M2roadwarrior and Chiogtr4x like this.
  15. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Good thread and good timing. I'm looking an amp to leave at my son’s house in another state. He’s drummer and asked me to leave a guitar and amp there for when I visit. I’ve been looking at buying the same Orange amp.

M2roadwarrior and Chiogtr4x like this.
  16. rob54702

rob54702 TDPRI Member

I had an orange colored one. I liked the clean channel but could not bond with the dirty channel. Always felt more extreme than I like, maybe fizzy iirc. I don’t remember what I traded it for, sometimes regret it like most of the amps I have let go.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  17. Chiogtr4x

Got it!

Even though I have always been pretty good at crafting good OD/distortion with my pedals and amps, I still have a fantasy of just plugging straight nto an amp (with Reverb) that has a great clean channel and a 'just right' dirty one.

But still like the straightforward features and size of this amp.
    I know I could work with just the Clean channel if I had too. ( never used an effects loop, which could be cool too).

18. Dietcokedream

Dietcokedream TDPRI Member

I was just given one! I already had the 20rt. The addition of the buffered effects loop is great. I would agree that the clean tone is excellent and a great platform for pedals. The gain channel is fine, better then most solid state amps.

also, I have the new mini foot switch that orange just released. It works great and doesn’t take up tons of space.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  19. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I like the clean tone on those, it made me want to own an Orange someday. I didn't get on with the dirt side as well. It's definitely portable and loud! You should be able to grab a used one cheaply. I don't know if it's really better than your Blues Jr for anything, but YMMV.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  20. Chiogtr4x

Don't expect it to be better than the BJ,
    but it is lighter ( yet powerful) and could be just a nice change-up tonally.

My BJ ( which has been a very good friend for 20 years) is a very mid-rangey amp and something brighter yet full ( what I'm hearing from the Orange clean)
    could be fun.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.