Orange Amps for Country

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by OldAndNew, Oct 7, 2021.

1. OldAndNew

OldAndNew TDPRI Member

I was playing around with the Orange terror stamp and I was able to get some decent country tones in the clean and light overdrive range. Not amazing but still decent. Then I thought, I don’t really hear about country guitarists using Orange Amps. Does anyone out there use Orange Amps for country?

CV Jee Beez likes this.
  2. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Orange was marketing it last year and had some sponsored artists so some people definitely do.

I find mine really likes funk. It’s a very responsive quick amp. It makes it really in your face with a really fast attack.

But then there are other times I really hate that quality. That super fast attack can seem unforgiving compared to the way a Fender is spongier.

3. Tim G

Tim G Tele-Meister

I use an Orange AD-15 10 for country. Get some great clean and slightly dirty country sounds, I've used it for about 25 years.

4. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

Modern orange amps are basically just Marshalls in the pre. So bearing that in mind...if you want! But not the standard choice.

OTOH, the old oranges (OR120, OR80, etc) with the FAC and the baxandall EQ could do anything really...no genre.

The new oranges (last 30 years?) from an architecture standpoint have nothing to do with the old ones.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  5. kedj11

kedj11 Tele-Meister

I bought my Orange TH30 for it's clean channel. It's downright inspirational. The dirt channel isn't bad (it's an Orange after all) but that clean channel sounds like angels singing with my tele...

6. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I have the Rocker 15 Terror. The ‘Natural’ channel is all tubes and no tone stack. I find it does capture a pretty pure take on whatever guitar I play through it. I add EQ to taste with a pedal in the excellent tube driven fx loop.

7. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Look at the band “Blackberry Smoke”, a Country-Rock band using Orange and Marshall amps.

8. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

It's do able, especially since country has loosened up a little bit (very little, but still), but there are way better amps immediately available, so Orange would be a strange pick for full-on all-country use. Fender is the obvious choice since it has dominated this genre and therefore has come to be the expected tone. But unless you need to copy others, use your own voice.

9. 41144

41144 Friend of Leo's

Not a Country player but Blues/Rock and Ballady stuff.... and as an Orange Rocker owner... All I can say is that with such an efficient speaker the clean channel stays clean all the way up to 10 and, yes, it can be dialled to do light grit/dirt... Not just heavy sounds.
    Personally, on the Gain ( Dirty it is called by them) channel I keep the Gain below 11 for that lighter sound then OD it with pedals.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought an AD30 when they first hit the states in 2001 or so.
    It's really more AC30ish at the cleaner settings than some of the newer Orange circuits, and of course Brad Paisley likes that more Brit tone for Country.
    Country used to be Tweed Fender amps that were the basis of Marshall and other British mid forward less pristine clean amps.

The whole idea that BF Fender is the only amp ever used for Country guitar when Country has had electric guitar way longer than Fender had that BF circuit? Funny stuff!

Orange makes a lot of different amps now and they are not all the same.
    Up until the mid '60s, Country Tele (or other electrics) tone was middy and edgy gritty.

IMO it was as much amp designers that pushed the ideal of clean and mid scooped on Country guitar, as it was somehow more Country to have less midrange and no snarl.
    A sparse mix does like Fender reverb though, even if it might get a little tiresome to be stuck for decades in the same old guitar sound.

Country music surely has room to grow out of cliche tones?

CV Jee Beez and stnmtthw like this.
  11. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Orange and Marshall are known for their gain, but some of them have just an incredible clean tone that Fender amps just can't compare to. I don't think you need a Tele through a Twin Reverb to play country unless you are in a Buck Owens tribute band (nothing against anyone who is, Buck Owens was awesome).

My main amp is an AC15, my practice amp is an Orange Crush 20, and I can dial up anything I want with them. I have had five or six Fender amps, and I have gotten rid of every one of them. They just don't sound as full and rich to my ears as a good British amp. Probably because of the mid scoop on Fenders.

12. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

To answer this question, Billy Strings uses an Acoustic 30 and a Rocker 15. https://orangeamps.com/artist/billy-strings/

13. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Granted that country guitar tones can vary across a wide spectrum, and that you can play country or jazz or … with pretty much anything you have at hand, I guess you provided the answer to your own question. If I were a country guitar player, I'd pick an amp that sounds amazing for the genre.

Yesterday I plugged my tele in a tweed Pro with its big fat 15" speaker and understood immediately why it was a favorite of Western swing guitarists and steel guitar players. "Amazing" at first try.

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  14. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

I have an Orange Tremlord. Sort of midway between Vox and Fender -- very very versatile, except maybe not high gain metal.

northernguitar and SbS like this.
  15. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Any amp with a good clean sound is good for country.
    Most Orange amps have great clean sounds.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  16. Teleskopic

Teleskopic TDPRI Member

Orange are a partner for the Black Deer festival in the UK which is billed as an ‘Americana’ festival. So the company themselves must see their market evolving broader than traditional rock/blues

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.