Orange Amplification owner's club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by bokeh, Nov 13, 2009.

1. jockeapa

jockeapa TDPRI Member

Happy owner of a Rocker 30 combo here!

[​IMG]

Kestrel likes this.
  2. chrisftm

chrisftm TDPRI Member

Orange amps (Dual Terror)

Hi guys.
    I'm just returning to this place after quite an absence.

I now use an Orange Dual Terror, which is an awesome beast, especially played through a 2x12. I switched to this amp thanks to Dan Baird. We both used Pro Juniors (I used two and a 2x12), Dan used one with an Avatar 2x12. He switched to the DT and I duly copied! The best decision ever. I never thought I could get a better tone but I have.

I've just started an Orange Dual Terror Facebook page, so look it up if you like.

3. Mr. Syd

Mr. Syd Tele-Meister

I'm using a Dual Terror for quite a while now. It goes into a 4x12 Engl cabinet - sounds awesome with a Tele!
    <-- see profile pic

4. Chrish2os

Chrish2os TDPRI Member

I have an Orange AD30 that I run into a red Marshall cab. It sounds really great when I drive open coil humbuckers into it.

5. old_train

old_train TDPRI Member

I'm in ...orange dual terror through a 2x12 cab. It looks good and it sounds so great even at relatively low volumes. I made the purchase, and the sound and looks just melted away the guilt at the cost. It's a lifer for me, this kit is going nowhere!

6. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

I have a Tiny Terror head and Orange 1-12 cabinet on its way right now; should be here tomorrow. I can't wait!!!!

7. old_train

old_train TDPRI Member

Aghhh what a feeling, the unboxing, the plugging in... I hope you've cleared some time tomorrow to enjoy!

8. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

Oh yes...I probably won't get to play much tomorrow but I'm taking Friday off. :D

9. Rich724

Rich724 Tele-Meister

I have a Crush 35LDX for practice and rehearsals and a Crush 120H with a PPC212 open back for gigs.

10. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Orange has a new Micro out, the Micro Dark. It's a Micro hybrid Dark Terror, still with a tube preamp, 20 watts class D, solid state output. This one has a slope control instead of the tone control, a cab simulated headphone/line out and has an effects loop! Street price is $189.00.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. madbanjoman

madbanjoman TDPRI Member

I just got the Micro Dark last night. It is not just for gain! It has a real nice clean tone. I love the effects loop. I have my zoom ms-100bt pedal pulled in and a touch of spring reverb. The tone shape control goes from fender to marshall and is very sensitive. I am enjoying. It is quite loud. I am playing it through a Mesa Boogie 1x12 transatlantic open back cab.

12. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I'm really tempted to pick up one of these as a backup for gigs. Can you comment on how the Micro Dark compares to the Dark Terror?

13. madbanjoman

madbanjoman TDPRI Member

I don't own the Dark Terror, so I can't compare my Micro Dark to it. I do own the Micro Terror and I like the tone shape of the Micro Dark better then the tone control of the Micro Terror. I love that it has an effects loop. That was a big motivator for me getting it.

14. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Is the Micro Dark fuller thicker in the low-mids to lows compared to the Micro Terror? I do like the MT, I just find it lacking a bit in this tonal range and if I use it with a warmer voiced speaker, then, to me, it gets muddied.

I like that Orange is expanding the Micro Series amps. The MD is a nice expansion, but I would love a Micro OR, as I like the vintage tonal properties more.

15. madbanjoman

madbanjoman TDPRI Member

I find the shape control on the MD to be superior to the tone control on the MT. On the MT the useable range on the tone control is really small. You can drop into mud just before noon depending on the guitar. With the MD you are going from mids scooped (fender) to mids boosted (marshal). Also the MD has more gain on tap and reacts better to dynamics. I have gain at noon and clean with volume knob. If I strum hard the gain comes through better the the MT.

16. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

That would be because the "tone" knobs on the terrors are just treble cuts exactly like the tone knob on your guitar (this is certainly true of my Dual Terror, I will happily be corrected if this is not true of others in the Terror range).

My tone controls on the dual terror are always kept fully clockwise

17. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

I'm am loving being a new member of the Orange Amplification Club!

Last night I traded my Egnater Rebel 20 for an Orange OR-15. I'm lovin' it!

There is some effects loop hum, but from what I've read that is a common problem and a loop tube swap fixes it right up. No problem seeing how I'm planning to swap out the 12AX7's for 12AY7's anyway.

I'm playing it thru a homemade cabinet sporting a Jensen MOD15-200. Yup, definitely overkill but I got it for a steal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One day hopefully I'll get a bigger brother (and somewhere to take advantage of it).

Kiss My Shiny Nitro Ash!

gwjensen likes this.
  18. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

I have been considering an amp to run in stereo with my Orange TT. The rebel 20 has made the short list. Do you think they would compliment?

19. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

Do any terror owners have trouble with what I would call "brittleness" at lower volume? I have a Dual Terror that's great when you can get those tubes cooking but our stage volume rarely allows me to do so. I'm wondering how to work around it.

20. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

With the tube blend I would say yes, but unless the amp is pretty well driven I'm not sure. The TT will break up well before the Rebel.

Kiss My Shiny Nitro Ash!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.