Orange Amplification owner's club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by bokeh, Nov 13, 2009.

1. 41144

41144 Friend of Leo's

Depends on what you're after?
    For Blues/ 60s Rock-Blues I can't fault it.
    Clean channel is just that... And loud on any setting.
    Gain channel, with Gain about 33% and Vol at 50%+... It is sublime, on any setting and, did I say, Loud!
    By sublime, I like a mids bump... This has it in spades :cool:

2. Flaps

Flaps TDPRI Member

The Micro Terror looks cool and did a job for a number of years but the 8'' cab isn't great so last year I bought the used 1 x 12 off eBay which did sound better although I then obviously wanted a matching amp. I like the look of separate amp/cab rather than a combo so The Rocker Terror 15 seemed to tick all the boxes, especially with the Headroom/Bedroom settings. I have it on Bedroom mode and 1w generally and it is still loud but can also be dialled right down and be quieter than the Micro if necessary. The 'natural' channel isn't totally clean though, it still gets a little gainy if playing at volume and hitting the strings hard but i've always liked a bit of distortion anyway so it's not an issue. The MT is now my daughter's (10), side by side it's obviously more tinny than the RT but for what it costs and what she needs it does the job.
    Warmed up and with a bit of reverb the Rocker sounds spot on for me and i've no intention at the moment to swap it for something else, certainly makes me sound better than I think I am :cool:

3. 41144

41144 Friend of Leo's

Hi to all....
    c. +1 year and finally time here in 2 weeks to get back in rehearsal room, so also time for thinking about re-valving my Rocker 15..
    Years back, re-valving Class A's was easy/ie not needed.... last few years I've had 2 HTs and Blackstar are a nightmare, imo, and have to go back to Blackstar! Who, again imo, did not improve the situation regarding changing valves or caps!
    Anyway, my current choice is Orange Rocker 15, which according to this, is auto-bias.
    Now, I'll not be buying from there (I can get JJs elsewhere for 1/2 the price) but.... Can I trust that the Rocker 15 combo is auto-bias as there's no reference I can find to that in the official website?
    Thanks....

northernguitar likes this.
  4. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

Right.... this is is somewhat misleading. Your rocker 15 is cathode biased. That doesn mean it self biases, it means that the cathode resistor has a fixed value, so just put in a matched set of EL84 and you will be good.

Self biasing is misleading. It will sort of self regulate to a degree, but in extreme cases, wouldn't and would result in red plating, that would only be solved by a resistor swap.

That would be an extreme case.

Next.... do you really need that full set? Is anything going wrong or sounding tired?

Preamp valves typically last 4 to 5 times as long as EL84. Unless you hear some funny noises, you're unlikely to need to change them. Having some spares is good practice though.

awasson and 41144 like this.
  5. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

All you need is a matched pair of power tubes. Plug and play.

41144 likes this.
  6. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

If you haven't already done it there's no real surprises with changing the tubes on a Rocker 15... they are just more work to get to than a lot of other amps.. you need to remove the chassis from the cabinet, then remove all the shields over the tubes, which takes a while, you're talking about a whole lot of screws to remove the shields.

I had changed my preamp tubes at some point just for the heck of it to see what change it had on the sound, I changed them from JJ -> EHX to try and have a tad bit less gain on the clean channel to try and make it stay cleaner longer.. but the amp has never given me any trouble with tubes in the last 4 years. I was recently watching a video with an amp tech working on a Rocker 32 and he remarked that the Rocker amps seem very well designed in terms of treating their tubes right, they should not eat tubes. Basically everything very well matched and all the voltages being right in spec so the tubes were not being pushed hard.

41144 and northernguitar like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.