1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Orange Amplification owner's club

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by bokeh, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Have no problems with mine, but I probably don't use it as much as you.
    I thought the Orange amps were bomb proof.
    What about warranty work?
    Hope it works out

2. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

I'm no expert but I would try to spray some contact cleaner in the pot. This would only involve taking the knob off. Again lm no expert but I think you need lubricated contact cleaner for pots. I would find this out before I tried it. I would not let GC do anything to it either. Even though I do business with them I have no LOVE OR TRUST for them. Best of luck with the Orange.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  3. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I just sent an email to Orange USA on their info line. I'm not sure what I'm noticing is actually a scratchy pot, it could be some other oddball thing going on.

I fiddled with it last night in a more systematic way. What happens is it only makes this sound immediately after turning on the amp and then switching it from standby to Full/Half. It also doesn't make this sound if the input is unplugged. It won't make the sound if you flip over to dirty and then back to clean, and it won't make the sound after disengaging the foot pedal to go back to clean.

Almost makes me wonder if something is happening when it first powers on that is somehow putting a charge into the pot and it dissipates after a bit.

This doesn't seem to have anything to do with leaving the amp to sit for hours/days like I mentioned in my first post.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Wow.. impressive service, I talked to Orange just now.. they'd already gone through my email and talked to a tech within an hour or so.

They said it's "grid leakage" on the preamp tube on the clean channel. No effect on the dirty channel because it's a separate tube/circuit. I can replace the tube to make it go away but it won't hurt anything if I leave it alone and it's not bothering me (which it isn't). They said it's easiest to just ignore it for now unless it gets worse and starts effecting audio quality since it's kind of a pain to replace. They also said this is the first one they've heard of and it's rare for the JJ tubes they use to do this.

5. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Sounds good, the way you were describing it I thought it might have been a contact that as the amp warms up, metal expands due to heat so better contact, no scratch .
    Just keep their email, just in case down the road you change the tube and it doesn't fix the problem

6. Hedgerow

Hedgerow TDPRI Member

I had a MT with Orange 1x12 cabinet. Traded it and kinda regretted it. Then at the local music store I spotted a used TT combo. Got a killer deal and they even took a bass amp in on trade! I want to change the tubes but after researching on internet and seeing the related posts on here... definitely going to take it to my amp guy! I can see me screwing something up since it's so complicated to get it apart. I think the TT combo sounds amazing right now but sounds like a tube change will really make a difference.

Attached Files:

7. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Afflicted

Any dual terror (or even tiny terror because i know the dual will be more powerful than that) owners here able to comment on just how loud they are through a 2x12 cab compared to say an ac30 or blues deluxe/hot rod deluxe?

I've been looking at picking one up but am hesitant on if it will have enough power playing heavier punk type music, I would assume a 30 watt dirty should be plenty loud but i've read on some other sites people giving mixed info saying they aren't as loud as other 30w amp and others saying they are plently loud.

Hoping I can get a chance to try one out in the comming weeks but interested in peoples opinions.

8. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have the Tiny Terror. I typically use it with a 1x10 with a Red Fang. It held up really well playing with a drummer and bass. I would hesitate to take it out without PA support. Fun little rig to play with. Im sure a 1x12 or 2x12 would be louder.

9. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Afflicted

i just used a 100 watt katana (solid state but meant to be strong) and it had to be maxed out on 100watt to get to a comfortable level and was squealing like mad so i might need more power im thinking

10. Ash Telecaster

You really cant compare the wattage ratings between tube and solid state. Others will no doubt be happy to provide highly technical explanations as to why. I'll just say that most 30 watt tube amps will get plenty loud. It gets down to a question of head room, not decibels. Solid state amps, at the same number, 30 watts, just cant generate the output. That is a matter of decibels.

I have never played a Katana. Boss is a good name brand. I tend to believe that amp isnt designed to be a gigging amp. Thats just an impression, not a fact.

The AC30 is a great, classic amp. 30 watts, 2x12, a kind of class A amp, very big and heavy. Breaks up in a pretty amazing way. This amp is a boat load of fun to play and by far the best amp in your list by far. Nice reverb and tremolo and even has two channels.

I owned a Hot Rod Deville and gig'ed it many times. It was a very loud amp. Way too much of a flashlight effect. A speaker swap would have gone a long way. I sold it. Nice clean. The dirt was better than most people say but nothing to get excited about. It was the best amp that I hated.

I have not owned a Blues Deluxe but, in my oppinion, it falls in the tube amp wattage sweet spot, 40 watts. I like 1x12 amps. This may be a controversial statement but I think 1x12 cabs sound better. Fenders are known for their clean tone and it would likely pair nicely with pedals.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  11. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Afflicted

Yeah I get that, I asked about the ac30/hot rod/and blues deluxe comparision because I'm familar with their volume levels. The katana has been advertised as loud enough for gigs and is one of the newer solid state amps that have some reviews saying their wattage is closer to a tube amp (I think it was an andertons clip that had a roland guy claiming that), it would be for quieter kinds of music but not for what I need which is fine because it's not why I bought it.

Just looking to check up on how people find the dual terror/tiny terror in a band situation and was using that as an example

12. Ash Telecaster

Its a loud bugger for 15 watts but I dont think it would come close to any of those others in volume. I think the Tiny Terror kills especially cranked full out and it was loud enough in the rehersal room but I dont think it would cut it on a live stage. Definitely not if you are a loud band. Any of those other amps are definitely giggable. Of course keep in mind I pair mine with a 1x10. The Red Fang is pretty efficient though.

13. outbreak

outbreak Tele-Afflicted

Yeah im thinking dual terror which is 30 watts, asked about the tiny because if that's close for people then i imagine the dual should be enough.

Ash Telecaster likes this.
  14. Ash Telecaster

I haven't played that one but my guess is it would be great.

outbreak likes this.
  15. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The Crate cab is stained and lightly hand lacquered, actually looks more orange in real life:
    orange-crate.JPG

neilybob100 likes this.
  16. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I just got a Kongpressor a few days ago. Still early days figuring it out but considering Orange designed it hand in hand with the new Rocker amps and you saw those videos of Adrian Emsley demoing them to gather it sure loves my Rocker 15.

The Chime knob is perfect for a Tele. It seems like it accentuates and/or tames the real bright frequency range that can be too much on a Tele lately.

I had been thinking about getting an EQ pedal, but all I really wanted to hit was this frequency range that can be jarring in the treble. The Kongpressor kills 2 or 3 birds at once since it's got that. I can run it with just a hair of compressions and slow attack/release and then just dial that chime knob down a hair if I don't want any compression.

Interestingly I also think the neck pickup can sound better with that chime knob turned up a little bit, depends on the song though I guess.

17. Rob77

Rob77 Tele-Meister

Hi all,

I have recently bought an Orange OR15 head. I came across it listening to a demo in a music shop (with matching cab) and thought this amp sounded fantastic and could be a nice addition to my collection, especially as a backup amp easy enough to carry with me.
    Now I didn't buy the matching PPC112 cab, as I already have a 1x12 cab with a greenback and the reviews I came across have said these match well with the Orange OR15.

I normally gig with a Vox AC4 and the 1x12 cab (mice'd up of course), and run the amp clean just on verge of break up and use pedals for dirt / distortion. Since I play covers and wide variety of genres so I need the amp to be clean somewhat. My main guitars are Epi Les Paul & Fender Tele.

I decided to try the Orange OR15 at a few gigs but I really struggled with it, I just couldn't get it to sound / play nice with all my current pedals & both guitars, humbuckers and single coil. Played with the EQ all night in different positions and just couldn't find that sweet spot!
    Problems were notably some notes seem to just die off & the bottom end sounded flabby as some would say, and the overall tone was really unimpressive. The distorted sound were overly fuzz like. Compared to the Vox, this amp was more chalk and cheese to me. I have read reviews around the internet though that they are supposed to be quite similar??

Now I know I may have just bought the wrong amp for the situation I'm using it for, though I really wanted to like this amp.

I'm now wondering if I should try a matching Orange ppc112 cab that has the V30, or just sell the amp?
    I do like the construction of the Orange cab, If i was to buy one I would probably use that cab as my main gigging cab and then experiment with speakers.

Another option is to swap tubes out of the Orange though Im not overly keen on that idea.

Cheers
    Rob

18. classicplayer

classicplayer Tele-Meister

Here's a video that I've watched a few times. It might be of some help..

I don't own the OR15. I chose the Dark Terror and matched it with an Orange PPC112 containing a V30. I don't think the OR15 compares with the Vox closely. The Vox seems to have more sparkle and chime than an Orange. Orange tone can be on the "darker" side. Orange owners sometimes use the term "warm" to describe this. I hear the warmth in my DT once its tubes get sufficently warmed up. A Fender should match up with the OR15 IMHO.

Classicplayer

Rob77 likes this.
  19. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A few things I've learned since buying and gigging the Dual Terror. These may not apply directly to your amp, but worth a try.

First, the lowest watt setting doesn't do a thing for me. 15w is good and 30w is great.

Second, I like to get the Master as high as I can and then add in gain. This is especially true with a "clean" sound. Use the gain to add volume just to the edge.

Third, yes it's fizzy/fuzzy compared to some other amps. Speakers can help with this. For example, a WGS Veteran 30 sounds excellent. Also, an eq pedal helps. Pulling out some high end reduces the fizz. Also, try dropping your guitar volume knob to about 8 and see if that helps take a little edge off. I found that was the easiest and quickest solution. Speaker is a big deal though - have to think they come with V30's almost exclusively for a reason. Another thing - what sounds objectionable at home often sounds great in a band mix. Not sure where you're playing.

Last, pedals: Speaker plays a part in this too, but yea it's not a HRD that you can just put any pedal in front of. A TS type pedal will tighten up the bass. You can run it in a manner that doesn't add much gain. A Klone sounds awesome with the Veteran 30 when I have the amp on the edge of breakup. Just excellent. For me, a Klone and an EQ/Boost (Two Stroke) are all I need. Well, reverb and delay too, but I'm talking dirt/boosts. I set the clean channel right under the edge of breakup and those two provide some amazing sounds. The dirty channel I tend to use more for chords/heavy rhythm.

It took me a little time. I actually remember being pretty bummed the first night I got it. Now, it's a joy to play and actually leaves me shaking my head some nights. It's just freaking huge sounding.

First things I'd recommend is messing with your master/gain ratio, dialing back the guitar volume a hair, and maybe a pedal tighten the flab a little. Remember though, it's definitely its own thing. Give it some time, but you either like it or you don't.

Rob77 and neilybob100 like this.
  20. classicplayer

classicplayer Tele-Meister

Lots of good advice in the above. I found with my Dark Terror a similar aspect when dealing with the amp's volume and gain knobs. My recent "discovery" bares this out. I now set amp volume first, then raise the gain to just below edge of breakup.....resulting in some harmonics and chime happening. Then I deal with the shape knob to get my desired brightness level.

Classicplayer

Rob77 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.