Orange AD30 vs Vox Ac30 vs Mesa TA-15 heads

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Il Belva, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Il Belva

Il Belva TDPRI Member

Hi TDPRIers,
    I'm considering changing my main amp and switching from a combo to head+cab rig. I already own a Palmer cab (212 Private Jack, closed back), an Ibanez TSA112C and an Orange ppc108 (for home use).
    I put on sale my old Vox AC15cc1x and I'm considering some heads (I will also get a 1x12 Blue Alnico cab in the future).
    I want to stay in the rock/british territory although I'm not crazy to nail some specific tone, I need a low to mid-gain amp that's also pedal friendly, in the 1000€/1100$ price range. The amp could be new or used.
    I'll be using the head mostly in studio, connected to a loadbox/IR and sometimes for gigs.

Here's what I'm considering:
    • Vox AC30 ch/cch
    • Orange AD30TC
    • Mesa TA-15 Transtlantic
    What's your opinions about those heads?
    P.S. I'm considering only major brands because of the second-hand market, I live in Italy and the used market is quite small.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  2. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

I would heartily recommend the AD30. It's very simply a great amp, a modern classic.

I had one for a while, stellar. I would still have it.... but have kept the smaller AD15 instead, as I already had the RV50 too.

I'm an Orange fan boy, nothing does what those fantastic amps do. Thick, yet they remain articulate even with high gain.

The AD30 takes pedals extremely well too. Fuzz, OD, Boost, distortion, delay.... no FX loop though, so reverbs will struggle unless the signal is pretty clean.

It has 2 channels, and they have different voices. Channel 1 is very vintage like, saggy, beautiful chime (some of the best cleans IMO), channel 2 is tighter, more treble, more gain.

It really can do a lot.

I've never been that inspired by the AC30. I had an AC30C2 with green back for a short while.... meh.

3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I have an Orange AD50 and love it. I think Orange is making really great amps these days.

Les Paul lover likes this.
  4. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Holic

I have never had the VOX or the Orange but I do have a TA-15. I have never heard anyone who was unhappy with their TA-15. I find it a very versatile amp with great tones.
    Thanks john

5. Il Belva

Il Belva TDPRI Member

Hi guys,
    thanks for your feedbacks. I found a buyer for my AC15, so next week I'm going for a new head.
    Still haven't decided yet, damn GAS!

6. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

I would agree..... got 4 in the house, from 5 to 50w...... all fantastic!!! I've had others too, but unfortunately I can't keep them all......

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.