Orange AD-5: Which Speaker? Celestion G10 Greenback, G10 Alnico Gold or other?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Perregrintuk, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Perregrintuk

Perregrintuk TDPRI Member

Hey Folks,

I just bought a pretty rare Orange AD-5 Combo. It is a beautiful single ended class A EL84 Amp as the smallest amp of the AD Family. Pretty nasty and stoner Orange overdrive with a fat Marshallesque character with a perfect vintage character. Cleans are shimmery and very nice. Remindes me of a Vox and Marshall combination...

It has a 10" Speaker which is a Celestion G10-40 at the Moment.

I'm thinking about giving it a more classic and known Speaker to it like a Celestion G10 Greenback, G10 Alnico Gold, or the Vintage 10.

Do you have any experience with those Speakers?

What do you Thing would fit good to an Orange amp?

Or do you have other ideas which Speaker would be great?

Thanks!!!

2. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Is yours the UK made hand wired, or the PCB version?. Curious is all.

As to the speaker, what don't you like about the current one, what would you prefer the replacement to do insofar as what aspects would you like emphasising and what aspects ( if any ) would you like masking from the amplifier.

Bear in mind that 5 Watts isn't going to trouble most speakers, so speaker breakup isn't likely to happen. For stoner stuff, for controlled, present bass, look toward the Jensen MOD 10-70. If you want treble, the MOD 10-35 is good, though it does lose out on the bass side of things. A good all-round MOD speaker is the 10-50.

Jensen Alnico are rather sweet, as are their ceramics. From what I've heard while idly browsing Youtube, their Blackbird sings a very sweet song. Not to everyone's taste, but hey, I'm an unashamed Jensen fan!.

Tube-Town have a range of Warehouse speakers which always get good write-ups. Have a look, see if anything takes your fancy.

https://www.tube-town.net/ttstore/Speaker/by-manufacturers:::42_516.html

Work out what you want/expect. It's a single ended amp driven by a single pre-amp tube so it's going to be limited.

3. Perregrintuk

Perregrintuk TDPRI Member

It’s the PCB version, but that is totally ok. My only PCB...:) But as rare as it is as a PCB and HW...love to have one. And it sounds great!

To the speaker, thought to make it more classic, maybe softer but still good highs with more aggressive growling mids and a fat bass fundament. Just as a greenback actually would do...

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I'd go with a Weber Sig 10 - probably ceramic ribbed given that may be a more English voiced amp but an alnico flat cone 10 would give a more old skool vibe with more breakup. Pushing 20 watt or larger capacity speakers with small amps is not optimal IMO. You still have to move a thicker cone and voicecoil.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.