Orange 15s

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tomnardozza, Jun 6, 2021.

1. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Holic

I’d go for the Tiny Terror. It nails the Orange sound and is seriously loud for its size. If you need a two channel, there are better options than the Rocker.

2. Rusty Spanner

Rusty Spanner Tele-Meister

Very, very, Interesting question. :)

I think much of it is just getting used the sound of what you have.

However, experience with HiFi and guitar speakers has convinced me that as they break in, speakers will change their sound..
    Material that connect the cones to the frames become more compliant with use, leading to an increase in dynamics and a subtle shift in tone.

After playing at full power for a while the speaker also responds better to small changes in volumes at much lower levels.

SbS, The Hammer and telemnemonics like this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Orange makes many different 15w tube amps and you really need to play some or at least listen to a bunch of demos to choose.
    I get the idea of an Orange sound but really there are many Orange sounds.
    I have an AD30 and an OR15.
    I wish I had a two channel like maybe the rocker 30, for a good clean sound. I’m not sure you can count on Orange to provide a good live clean sound from a 15w amp if there’s a drummer.
    Loud amps but not huge clean headroom from their 15w amps.

SbS and beninma like this.
  4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

The Rocker 15 natural channel does stay clean for a long time with a single coil guitar. It has a ton more headroom than the dirty channel. If you turn it 3/4 of the way up it is barely breaking up with a single coil.

The whole thing with not clean enough is way more of a humbucker thing IMO, it’s hitting that edge of breakup with the volume halfway up there. My humbucker guitar is middle of the road, not high output modern stuff.

The natural channel is pretty different than an OR15 or a tiny terror.

5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

A better example of the difference in the headroom of the two channels is if you run a tube screamer in.

I usually leave the clean channel turned halfway up all the time. I can hit it with a single coil into the TS with the volume on the TS turned up 3/4 of the way and the gain on the pedal 1/4 or less and it’s still mostly getting louder. You’re not going to call it crunchy just a bold in your face clean sound.

The dirty channel won’t react to a boost like that at all, with the gain at noon and volume at 9 o’clock the dirty channel is going to sound pretty cleanish with a single coil and similar volume to the natural channel but when you hit it with that same boost it will go right through saturated crunch into lead territory.

Most of what I’ve seen with single channel Orange amps is that they’re usually going to be only a dirty channel. The Tremlord being the exception. I would love to try a Tremlord, I’ve never seen one in a store.

The Hammer likes this.
  6. The Hammer

The Hammer Tele-Meister

Removing the lower back piece on the Rocker 15 combo took away the vast majority of the “box” sound it had going on. The speaker is also breaking in nicely.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.