Orange 15s

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tomnardozza, Jun 6, 2021.

1. tomnardozza

tomnardozza Tele-Meister

Looking for a real small combo amp. Can anyone tell me the difference between the rocker 15 combo and the tiny terror combo?

Any other worthwhile very small combos you'd recommend?

(Blues, rock, no metal, classic sound)

Thanks!

....the supro 1610 comet looks interesting as well

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The Tiny Terror is a barebones amp. It's got three knobs, gain, tone and volume . You can get plenty of gain but not metal. 7/15 watt switch. You can get a gritty gain that's not Vox or Marshall but pretty cool

Head or 12" combo with V30 speaker.

16229859604459056336807354150248.jpg

The Rocker has a one knob clean channel (volume) that many people find ok but not tweakable, and a footswitchable dirt channel with gain, treble-mid-bass and volume.

7/15/0.5/1 watt power settings. Last two are for practice and recording. Lineout.

Tube driven effects loop. Head or 10" speaker in combo.

The Tiny Terror is arguably giggable even if it's dirty. The Rocker is possibly enough.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    northernguitar and tomnardozza like this.
  3. tomnardozza

tomnardozza Tele-Meister

Thanks! Do you prefer one over the other?

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

They're both good amps. You can make the Terror sound like the Rocker to some degree

The Rocker is more flexible but its head is in a big box. The Terror is a lunchbox size jigger as a head but a big box as a combo. The Rocker conbl is much smaller.

For home or recording use you could use either. Ditto live but the Rocker is more flexible as well as more expensive.

For home use I'd pick the Rocker combo, or the Terror head. For gigging the other way around.

northernguitar and tomnardozza like this.
  5. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I've enjoyed my Monoprice Stage (f)Right 15/1w (611815) and Supro BK10 1810R 5w. I use the Stage (f)Right mainly on the 1w setting, and the BK10 with the installed boost (rarely the drive). Both have good reverb. The Stage (f)Right has a 12" Seventy-80 speaker...the BK10 a 10" proprietary. The Stage (f)Right has easily accessible tubes if one likes to roll tubes from time to time, and an effects loop (I have not used it). My tin ears think the BK10 is a bit more particular about guitar/pickup choice. Happy hunting!

tomnardozza likes this.
  6. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Had the rocker 15 for a bit of time. Great amp. Did Marshall better than Marshall and actually had good cleans. Never tried terror

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Tele-Meister

I have a Rocker 15 combo that will be here tomorrow. I’ll let know what I think once I’ve played around with it.

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Tele-Meister

My Rocker 15 showed up yesterday afternoon (a day early!) and so far I’m really liking this amp a lot except for the Voice of the World speaker. It has more high end midrange than I like and I can’t dial it out. I plugged it into an open back 2x12 cab loaded with a Texas Heat and Swamp Thing which sounded perfect. I’m more than likely going to swap the VOTW for a G10 c/s from Guitar Warehouse.

Dr Improbable and uriah1 like this.
  9. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I've had both the TT and R15T heads. @Dacious covered all the basics. I've gigged both and greatly prefer the Rocker. The TT was a lot of fun, but has quite possibly the worst clean tone and low headroom of any tube amp I've owned. It's great for RAWK-ing out.

The Rocker's 'Natural' channel serves as a nice clean base for pedals. It loves anything I throw at it. I play a Friedman BE-OD through it and it's brilliant. I have no problem with no EQ as I have an Ibanez EQ pedal in the (excellent) loop. The 'Dirty' side can handle any RnR you want out of it. I go from the Stones to Soundgarden on it. I can push it a step further with a good OD (my favourite is a Digitech Bad Monkey).

Both channels have been loud enough to hang with a loud drummer. This is for stage volume and it suffices in a small bar. I mic my cab anyways, our PA handles the rest.

I love this amp, it's a keeper.

SbS likes this.
  10. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

This really got me thinking.

Have been looking for small tube amps like Supro 1W/5W and such. But Rocker's built in attenuator sounds interesting too. So throwing a few hundred more there and could use it outside bedroom too.

And yeah, I'm using pedals, so Rocker 15 might accept those a little better with more headroom available?

I could maybe wait a little and have some more cash available.

northernguitar likes this.
  11. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

play it in for a while & see if it changes tone. I had a cab with a couple of V30s in it that sounded awful at first. The more I play it, she smoother it gets -- that high-mid clank is still there but much less. I don't know what comes stock in the R15 but for a while the Voice of the Worlds were rebadged V30s. You might not need to swap.

The Hammer likes this.
  12. The Hammer

The Hammer Tele-Meister

Mine has a 10” voice of the world in it. I’ll probably hold off on replacing the speaker and give it a chance to break in.

13. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I had a Rocker 15 combo in the cart online the other day but didn’t pull the trigger. I know a place that has a bunch of new old stock amps. He still has at least one Rocker 30 head and at least one Rocker 30 combo. I tried the Rocker 32 and it sounded great. I just have no need for the stereo dual power amp stuff. I’d rather just have a 30 watt amp, not two 15s stuffed in a box.

14. The Hammer

The Hammer Tele-Meister

@swervinbob If you decide to buy a Rocker 15 from Sweetwater they’ll knock $100 off if you message them first.

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

hmmm

The Hammer likes this.
  16. Rusty Spanner

Rusty Spanner Tele-Meister

I love my Rocker 15.

Helps that I like the Orange 'house' sound more than any other, but the Bedroom/Headroom feature works particularly well, it's built like a tank and it's light.

The speaker definitely benefits from breaking in a bit though.

The clean channel is delightful - rounded, complex and gets a little crunchy at higher levels. Beautiful.
    The dirty channel is massively versatile.

Tone is personal, but I am a huge fan of the sound of this amp. It seems much more complex and alive than anything comparable in terms of price, weight and versatility.

I'm not sure I can really fault it, apart from the fact that the rear connections are a bit inaccessible.

SbS, uriah1 and northernguitar like this.
  17. Rusty Spanner

Rusty Spanner Tele-Meister

Sorry, forgot to mention that I run an Orange Kongpressor, SD-1 and Muff into the front.

I like the Muff and SD-1 barely ticking over.
    The variety of available sounds is a bit overwhelming, but it's great fun finding your favourites!

And northernguitar's experience mirrors mine exactly - it's loud at full power, but still sounds lovely at 0.5W.

SbS and northernguitar like this.
  18. The Hammer

The Hammer Tele-Meister

@Rusty Spanner What changed tone wise once the speaker was broken in?

19. pugnax

pugnax Tele-Meister

If you’re interested in just a head, I think OR15 is the best of both worlds - thicker and gnarlier than the tiny terror but not as big as the rocker combo.

The Supro Comet is also one of my favorite amps (along with the OR15). It’s like a Princeton from the wrong side of the tracks, and has a tremolo to die for.

20. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I’ve had a Rocker 15 since 2017.

I really love it too. I don’t have a ton of experience with other tube amps but every time I try something else I can’t think of a reason to buy it.

I use the bedroom mode a lot. I occasionally take it out to play with friends and even doing that the full power mode is often too loud. The volume flexibility on this amp is just off the charts good. It's both louder than a lot of amps it's size and also able to sound good at quieter volumes as well, and get just about any level of dirt at low levels too.

I do wish it had a reverb for grab and go without pedals. But would I trade the attenuation features for Reverb, no I don't think so.

The Natural Channel is the trickiest thing with this amp. The natural channel is essentially your whole singe tube non-MV style classic amp in that channel. Because of the efficiency of the speaker even in 0.5/1w mode it can be too loud to crank that channel in the house. It can hit 90-95db on the Natural Channel in 1w mode. Also the Natural Channel does the same thing all amps do.. as it gets louder and louder as you pump up the power your perception of the highs and lows increases and it makes you want to be able to cut bass/treble as it gets louder.. but there's no EQ on the channel. The lack of EQ also makes your pedal choice more critical for the drive pedals. Drive pedals that are tilt EQ like Muffs, DS-1, etc.. are easy to make work. Drive pedals with independent bass & treble controls are also easy to make work. Some of the classic drive circuits that just have a tone can be much trickier with the natural channel if you're trying to use the pedal gain instead of just boosting the amp. And boosting the natural channel makes it very loud.

The Dirty channel is way easier to get along with. Easy to EQ, it has a great tone stack, great MV, huge gain range that's really easy to control, etc.. and the MV works at a huge range of volume levels. The Dirty channel works fine with just about any pedal you throw at it.

FX Loop is great, almost anything you throw in it sounds amazing.

Build quality is great, my amp has been played almost every day and hasn't given me a minute of trouble. It doesn't go out every week or anything like a gigging band but I couldn't tell you how many times it's gone out.. I lost count.

SbS likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.