1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Options for Finishing in Olympic White

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by heyslowfinger, Feb 8, 2021.

1. heyslowfinger

heyslowfinger TDPRI Member

I will be attempting to paint my first alder body partscaster next week.

Dupli-Color Perfect Match Olympic White (Acrylic Lacquer)
    Will do slight relic (similar to later Road Worn models or an MJT closet clean).

What can I do to protect the color coat, but also preserve the guitar from aging/yellowing too soon?
    I know it will yellow a bit over time, but trying to keep it as white as possible
    • Applying clear lacquer will yellow it faster
    • A UV-Resistant clear, such as Deft, may remain soft and take a long time to harden
    • No clear = Color remains white BUT faster wear and tear
    Maybe more coats of color? Very thin layer of clear? Any other reliable UV resistant products?

Going for a satin/semi gloss vintage look, and would like the body to wear/relic naturally with use.
    Here is an example (but less checking):
    OlympicWhiteTele.jpg

What options would you consider for this project?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  2. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

I wasn't aware acrylic lacquer yellowed. I thought it didn't but I'm not a paint expert.

3. heyslowfinger

It shouldn't (but overtime I'm sure it takes on a bit of color).
    Sorry I should have clarified. Will update the thread.

I'd like to find a way to have some protection of the paint, AND having a finish that will wear overtime.

Some have mentioned applying more coats of color
    Maybe some other known lacquers (besides Deft) with UV protection.

4. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Can't help you with technical stuff but I like your color scheme! (see avatar)

heyslowfinger likes this.
  5. heyslowfinger

Sweet strat! Yep, going for a 60s era build! Will be my first Tele with a rosewood neck. :)

GGardner likes this.
  6. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

That is a great color, FB, and pick guard combination!
    We need pictures after!

GGardner likes this.
  7. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

They say Leo’s gang didn’t normally clear coat the Olympic White (which was also acrylic lacquer) in order to avoid it yellowing. So leaving of the clear coats ( maybe spraying a more color coats) could be period correct.

8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

In the 50s Olympic White was a custom colour so even it will darken without topcoat. images (17).jpeg

Poly certainly does darken with age. 1997 Thinline original colour under pickguard.

IMG_20180808_115649.jpg

Skydog1010 likes this.
  9. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

I just finished a lap steel with Dupli-color olympic white and it is not the same white as that telecaster. You might know this... just checking.

RodeoTex likes this.
  10. heyslowfinger

Absolutely, look forward to sharing! Just hope it looks anywhere close to that example. :rolleyes:

Yes, this is my understanding as well and most likely what I am leaning towards. I was just curious if there were any other options to protect it. I'm tempted to take the plunge with the Deft clear (UV resistant), buuuut I also don't want to wait forever for the finish to harden.

Ah, that is interesting to see the color change on a dark Poly color. I have a Poly Olympic White Jaguar that turned into a cream color after 3 years, so I am hoping I can slow down the color change for this Tele :D

Thanks for the heads up! The guitar pictured is a Fender Custom Shop with a really thin coat. But after browsing around, I preferred the Dupli-Color white (with it's slight blueish hue). StewMac's Olympic White is already aged, and Re-Ranch has a touch of gray. The Dupli-Color images I found online is definitely more to my taste. And with some wear and tear, I'm sure it will darken and yellow a tad. Just trying to keep it as white as I can while offering some protection. Feel free to share a pic of your lap steel, would love to see how it turned out!

11. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Although Fender had the colour chip chart and it quoted Du Pont paint colours, in reality they just went and bought it from whomever - Ditzler, Sherwin Williams, Dulux etc. In the early days especially as a cottage industry they wouldn't have stored large quantities.

If they needed to get something in a hurry, they just got it from whomever had it. Black is black, white is white. Something like Lake Placid Blue or Fiesta red, different companies had their own mix for crash repair and car painters which may or may not match the original Du Pont colours.

The QC on colour shades was probably pretty much eyeball engineering.

The Reverend Billy Gibbons has a collection of 50s Teles I've seen a picture of. There is every shade of colour from slightly yellow milk curd, to mustard, orange, split pea soup, burnt amber, light tan.....

In an era of black and white print ads and TV it didn't matter. If you saw Luther Perkins on Teev his guitar could have been almost any colour from white-yellow.

I swapped emails with this guy - he helped Fender and Gibson with information on their own finishes.
    http://www.guitarhq.com/fenderc.html

heyslowfinger likes this.
  12. heyslowfinger

Fantastic read! Thanks for sharing this, very insightful. Definitely learned something new today.

13. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

With transparent top coats over natural wood, it is frequently the wood that changes color more than the finish. In this case, the mahogany certainly darkened with exposure to UV. Purple heart will turn brown, Canary wood will turn brownish, Goncalo Alves with go from a beautiful light Koa brown to a very dark Walnut brown/black in a very short time, and Mahogany and Cherry will get much darker etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.