1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Options for a "Semi-Jumbo" / "ooo" Acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Jeru, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Afflicted

I would also check out Taylor GA or GS size. Smaller than a dreadnought, bigger and louder than an OM, very comfortable to play, great tone. Look for used.

The Taylor Big Baby is also an awesome guitar (15/16 dread size). Around $300-350 used. $450 new.

Also check out the Taylor Academy series, both new and used.

2. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
  3. zombywoof

zombywoof Friend of Leo's

Pretty much most companies these days are offering nice instruments in the $500 to $600 range, So the world is your oyster. Personally, as you said you like the sound of a Gibson J45, if you could scrape together $1K there is the Gibson G45. While it has the standard Gibson slope shoulder jumbo lower bout width it does have a slimmer body.

4. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

I got a Recording King RNJ several years ago with case for ~$400. This is a ‘Greenwich Village’ or ‘Nick Lucas’ OOO sized model and it’s great. Chinese made but excellent finish with mahogany sides and back and spruce top. The quality is first rate. Discontinued but they come up fairly frequently on Reverb, GC, etc. If you can find one, I recommend it. I sold my Gibson Songwriter after I got this one.

popthree likes this.
  5. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    My Martin 000-1E came home after being loaned out for a few years.

It is a very nifty guitar.

Comfy to play in front of the TV

I paid about $600 (new) for it about 15 years ago. I can't imagine they can't be had for that or less now.

6. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

That DeArmond soundhole pickup is great piece of gear. Lightnin' Hopkins did wonderful things with his.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.