1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Options for a "Semi-Jumbo" / "ooo" Acoustic

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Jeru, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

I have one acoustic, thinking about buying another one like for when family comes
    over to play, etc. The one I have is a Yamaha SJ-180 from the 80's. It belonged
    to a good friend who took just a few lessons when he was a kid but it never took.
    He just gave it to me. I think it's an 'ooo' sized. The internet seems to describe it
    as "between an OM (Orchestra Model) and a 0000/M Grand Auditorium size." In any
    case, the important bit is that it's smaller and slightly thinner than a dreadnought.

http://acousticpickers.blogspot.com/2013/02/yamaha-sj-180.html

Years ago, my wife (I think for a milestone-type birthday) bought me a beautiful
    Gibbo J-45. Sounded great. I sold it because the smaller Yamaha was/is for me
    far more comfortable to play.

I'd love to buy used, but would consider new depending on price point. I feel like
    this can be something I can get done for a couple/few hundred dollars. I'd like to
    find something like the Yamaha -- doesn't have to be anything special, just a well
    made acoustic guitar that's comfortable to play and sounds good. There have to
    be tons of options out there, I just don't know what brands/models to look for.

What guitars do you have/know of that will fit the bill?

Thanks..!

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  2. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

Quality 000 on the cheap I would look at AMI, recording king, or Blue Ridge. I think it'll set you back more than you are wanting to spend.

3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

Well, this is what I have, a Blueridge BR-163 ( since Nov.2018 to compliment my Martin Dread)
    I'm a Blueridge fan as a few of my friends ( and folks I have met at bluegrass jams) own various models, and I like them all.
    Mine is 000 size but still longer 25.5" scale and narrow 1 11/16" nut width.
    This model is all solid Sitka/Pau Ferro body ( Pau Ferro fingerboard and bridge)
    Comfy and good player, moderate action, and LOUD! Very clear and maybe mid-rangey on the lows. It cuts.
    There is a solid Mahogany version BR-143.
    The BR-63 and BR-43 models are same body woods as above models, but laminated. Still solid Sitka tops and sound great. 20190606_081953.jpg 20190606_082250.jpg

navigate40 and drf64 like this.
  4. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

In the Martin lineup, a 000 is a 24.75" scale, an OM is the 25.5 we're accustomed to as Fender players. It makes a bigger difference than you'd think. Longer scale length has more oomph. As popthree said, I doubt you'll find anything nice in the price range you have.

5. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

That may be, and I may get hip to spending more. I do appreciate the ideas -- really just
    trying to get a sense of what the good options are, what you good folks own and enjoy.

Re: AMI -- I do like this one: https://www.ami-guitars.com/guitars/15-series/000mc-15e/

popthree likes this.
  6. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Who says that a good sounding guitar must be as large as a 000/OM ? Me thinks you are listening with your eyes .

7. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

If you’re considering a mid price point I recently bought a tanglewood OM model and couldn’t be happier the thing sounded better than martins 4 times the price
    I was kind of reluctant at first because I’d never heard of them but apparently they are popular in England I’m pretty sure they are probably made in the same place as the blue ridges
    It’s got a beautiful v neck on it also
    700 dollars with hard shell case
    Also comes with a pickguard I just never put it on
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

You may misunderstand -- I'm not wedded to any size whatsoever, all I know
    is that I'm looking for something smaller than a 'standard dreadnaught.' Heck,
    tell me I need to go play a 'Smith/Jonez xyz model Parlor-sized' and that it'll
    blow my mind for $250 and I'll go try to play one at CME this Sat.

9. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

sorry - double post

10. otterhound

If you find a $250.00 acoustic that blows your mind , I'll go out on a limb that your mind is already there or the guitar is stolen . You get what you pay for .

11. popthree

I have 2 sub 250 acoustics that blow most people's minds, but they arent easy to find on demand

BB likes this.
  12. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Holic

I owned seven various Martins all at one time (don't ask) and the best of the bunch, the one that has travelled ALL over the world with me is my 00-18.

It sounds open, dry, like a fine wine. Such a joy to play sitting on my over-water deck at a bungalow in Bora-Bora at the Four Seasons resort.

BB likes this.
  13. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

Otterhound — I don’t know what all this negativity from you is about, but 1) for your own sake and those around you, I’d advise you to CHILL OUT, and 2) if you don’t have anything helpful to say, please don’t bother to keep posting.

14. popthree

I havr played 2 AMI guitars, a 00 and a 000 both were spruce/hog and very surprising in a good...and sub $500.

15. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Blueridge 183 I bought in 2011.
    I really like the guitar, I have many, but this one was it the top of my rotation list for several years.
    I don’t care for Saga, I bought direct from them, back then they didn’t have a well developed dealer network.
    I’d recommend it for a 000 size.

16. otterhound

And what are they ?

17. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Check out Bob Taylors "Grand Auditorium" size. My Furch acoustic uses much the same dimensions. Larger than a OOO, smaller than a Dreadnaught or Jumbo.

18. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

I started to write a long detail response describing different sizes of guitars that I own and their differences but really the best thing for you is to go out and play everything you can, form your own opinions and buy the guitar that speaks to you. Here are three of mine - single, double and triple ought. Each is wonderful, each is different

IMG_5636.JPG

Here is an OM on the left and 12 fret 000 on the right, they are different but wonderful

IMG_4478.JPG

My guitars are made out of different woods - that makes then different. I do own a couple of old Martin dreads, they are wonderful too but I seldom play them. I don't own a jumbo, a small jumbo or a "semi jumbo" (whatever that is)

BB likes this.
  19. popthree

Recording king ros 16 that I bought 'new' with a lifting bridge for 200 out the door. Did a reset on it and it is now wonderful.

60s? 70s? Lyle Hummingbird copy that I only bought for the old dearmond soundhole pickup that was in it. Paid 140. Discovered the guitar was awesome...the pickup alone was worth more than the price paid. The guitar is a terrific gibby clone.

elihu and BB like this.
  20. Jeru

Jeru Tele-Holic

Thanks all.. Helpful.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.