Optimum number of guitars

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Johnnypops, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Johnnypops

Johnnypops TDPRI Member

We all know the GAS theory which states that the optimum number of guitars is the number you now have plus one. I found myself not having a NGD but more of an NGW where I ended up with 3 in a week last week. Being a lefty when something decent pops up I’m on it because I don’t know when I might see another one so ended up with a squier I’d bought to relic because I didn’t want to butcher my US strat, then an immaculate early reissue Danelectro U2 popped up and then an Eastwood gretsch doublecut copy which is not normally go for but gretsch don’t seem to have offered a lefty of this model and it looks just like Mal young’s banger
    So here I am if you asked me I’d have said I own about 10 guitars but today for the first time I listed them and I’ve got 19 of the buggers and struggle to find one I want to part with
    Soooo how many is just too damn many
    Got a similar amp problem, I’m always selling them but then these new ones just keep finding their way into my house

bcorig, DonM, Zepfan and 2 others like this.
  2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Put up wall hangers for as many guitars you think you need. keep rotating guitars in/out of the hangers by those you play the most. Case the others in the closet and if not played in a year, out they go.

Of course, you might put up twenty wall hangers :)

3. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

As a lefty I completely understand

You never know when a guitar might pop up so you get it (finances permitting)

I had circa 30 at one point

Now sitting around 13 I think - sold 2 in the last week

I only really use 3 so my intention is to finish up with 7

Then I'll start on my pedals and amp and synths

It a long road but i'll get there eventually

Shuster and gwjensen like this.
  4. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Without any deliberate plan, I have ended up with 6 Teles, 6 Strats, 6 Les Pauls and 6 Misc.

Sooooooo my conclusion is that I obviously have to have 6 of anything.

666, Beelzebub?
    Or
    668 the neighbour of the beast.

POS Guitars, Fiesta Red and gwjensen like this.
  5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I thought I had all bases covered with a Tele, Strat, Annie, SG, and two acoustics and then a new one came home with me last week. For electrics, anyway, that perfect diamond became a pentagon. The new one is a CS ‘69 Stratocaster. So I’m thinking, there’s always room for one more and you haven’t reached the optimum number without something from Custom Shop.

gwjensen likes this.
  6. Carcinogen

Carcinogen TDPRI Member

A dozen or so doesn’t seem unreasonable. A couple P90 types, a couple humbucker types, a couple single coil types, a couple combinations of the above options, a couple basses, and an acoustic.

7. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I don't understand the need for so many guitars, or the compulsion to keep buying more.

stepvan, MilwMark, oceanblue and 2 others like this.
  8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I own 6 guitars ( used to own more, but because of $$, sold off what are not used for gigs):

2 acoustics
    2 Strats ( one stays at a buddy's home studio)
    1 Danelectro
    1 Tele ( but maybe wanna trade what I have, for a mahogany '69 Thinline RI ( Lighter, sound great, think they are beautiful)

I'd love one ' representative Gibson' sound and feel' ( 24.75", set mahogany neck, 2 PAF PU's/ 4 knobs) - say an SG or a lightweight 335- style ( Les Pauls are just too heavy)

Also would like a nylon string with cutaway and electronics ( just to switch up tone and from a steel string- I play a lot of simple instrumental stuff )

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    Controller, JL_LI and gwjensen like this.
  9. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

One electric
    One acoustic

It’s nice to have others but I could get by w/ that (and have) and know that many others did for years.

Until recently it was unusual for even a working local musician to retain a guitar after getting another, a signed act might have a back up, and perhaps a recording / writing instrument; but the concept of a collection is a fairly recently phenomenon, especially for a hobby player.

OldDude2, 41144, Ricky D. and 4 others like this.
  10. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

I try and keep to 4-5 these days. I think that's enough for me.

Disclosure: last time I counted I had 8!

Chunkocaster, JL_LI and gwjensen like this.
  11. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

I’m down to 2 partscaster telecasters that I built and one Rainsong acoustic.
    I sold all my other acoustics because I found I was playing the Rainsong 98% of the time, I can play it outside and not worry about temperature humidity etc. and being in Florida that’s great for me!
    the only other thing I’m thinking about now is picking up a Squire Affinity PJ bass to play around with and learn to play bass.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  12. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

Optimal for me:

Acoustic
    Regular Tele
    Neck bucker Tele
    Strat
    LP (P90)
    ES-335

Got the first five, one to go...

POS Guitars, Chunkocaster and JL_LI like this.
  13. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've sold off about 9 of my guitars over the last year. I've since put together 3 partscasters though. I play 3 or 4 often including 2 acoustics and the rest sit idle for months at a time so I suppose at a minimum I could get bye with 4.
    If money was no concern id have an endless supply of guitars, amps, pedals etc.

Digital Larry, Shuster and gwjensen like this.
  14. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

I feel terribly poor at the moment i cannot afford 3 guitar. Used to have 3, one strat and two Teles.

I need like 5, Strat, 3 Teles and one 7 string

POS Guitars likes this.
  15. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I play in 3 pretty busy bands, have 6 guitars (4 electrics and 2 acoustics) and that is way too many and a luxury.

Things work way better when I just use one guitar all the time.

So yeah, optimum is 1 electric and 1 acoustic.

If your bands are really busy, 2 of each, so you always have one available if you have to run to show and don't have time to restring or whatever.

More than that and I spend more time picking which one to play than playing them.

But I love all each of mine and have no compelling reason to sell any, so I don't.

16. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Holic

The answer is “more.” Next.

jman72, Shuster and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  17. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I have 2 Strats, 2 Teles, an HH Shecter and a BCRich Warlock with EMG 81/85s. The last two were gifted to me, but I play them both, though not nearly as much as the strats and Teles. The Warlock has some sentimental value, so I will always have that. My son seems to be gravitating to the Schecter these days, although he has his own strat copy and is primarily a bass player. So I think they are all keepers for one reason or another.

Generally speaking, my answer to "How many guitars are optimal" is "just one more that I have right now". And that "one more" more often than not is a tele. I'm set for Strats and full-size HB equipped guitars, but Tele's really have a way of pulling me in these days.

18. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

I would have said two in the past, one with humbuckers one with single coils but after comparing the two side by side humbuckers sound like crap to me now so ill have to say all you need is one good one, a tele!

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  19. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

depends on what you do with them i guess. A tele for country, some pointy guitar for metal, some les paul for classic rock... It goes on and on.

20. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

One. If you’ve got one guitar that you really bond with, that’s all you need. Make it two if you also want an acoustic. But you did say optimal. So one.

That said, I have three electrics and an acoustic/electric.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.