Opposite Rotating Tuners

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ripthorn, Oct 9, 2019 at 6:49 PM.

1. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

So some of you may have seen my little oopsie on the headstock of my Supernova guitar. Basically, the low E and A strings go on the wrong side of the post for normal winding and straight string pull. I don't like the idea of winding the pegs backwards to tune them with the strings on the correct side for straight string pull. Could I swap posts and/or gears with left handed tuners and get the post to wind the opposite direction? I haven't pulled any apart to analyze the worm gears and posts, but thought I would ask here in case anyone has done it. Thanks!

2. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

Pictures would help clarify what going on.

3. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

Never mind. I found pictures.

unless you can slide the worm gear off the tuning peg and flip it around there is nothing to be done. Just flipping a peg from one side to the other would not work.

I think you should wind them backwards and live with it. I think it would be easier to adjust to than you think. And I don’t think you want to start pulling those tuners apart, they generally are designed to be taken apart.

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

http://www.sperzel.com/guitar-tuners.php

All guitar models are easily reversible, allowing conversion to left-handed or custom configurations. Sperzel has been manufacturing staggered string posts since the late 1970s, allowing for better pull through the nut and reducing the use of string trees on six-in-line guitars with flathead stocks. Guitars with tilt-back head stocks use all one post height; our years of experience will help you determine the height you need. This is important to know when ordering the correct set of keys for your guitar - staggered for flat; non-staggers for tilt-back.

5. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Tuners are made to be right or left handed. The pressure frome the post is applied upwards to the gear. If you reverse tuner (a « right » tuner put on the « left » of the headstock, or the other way), it may work but the pressure into the gear would be wrong.

Some tuners are made so they can be modified and reversed (Sperzel, for what I Know). But then a right tuner becomes a true left tuner, with the problem mentioned above.

String not pulling straight is not always a problem. Look at the Gibson headstock.

[​IMG]

Tonetele likes this.
  6. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

My Jazz bass tuners work "backwards". I believe in the early days, all Fender bass tuners did. I don't find it a problem.

I think having a straight string pull is more important.

7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I think Brian May and his Father got it right. Straight string to tuners and equal pressure on each side of the headstock. It's symmetrical and looks okay.In Brian's words quote; " We set out to make the best possible guitar ever: and some would say they succeeded.
    It has 24 frets, a short scale length for ease of play ( 24 "), great wiring options, great old wood.
    Only an Aussie , Greg Fryer made 4 copies, after re-building May's originals, three of which May kept, Fryer took one for himself. One has an F hole and is used for "Fat Bottom Girls" , the others are only spares whilst the "red Special" is being re- strung. Greg Fryer is the only luthier who has come close to
    the original. Even the Guild Co. didn't come close so now Brian gas his own version manufactured.

I have played an old Gibson L-5 ( I think) which had that shape headstock. Les Paul body shape, Mahogany ( painted black) not absolutely sure. But I do remember the headstock was the same as May's Red Special.

8. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

From everything I can find the Sperzel’s only seem to allow for switching between a right side and left side tuner. What the OP needs is a left side tuner that is geared to work in reverse.

but again, it’s a beautiful design, if you string it in the reverse direction and get the straight string pull it will look even nicer and once you start tuning it I’m pretty sure your ears and brain will deal with the backwards issue without much thought. Right and left side tuners work differently, but people still manage to tune les Paul’s just fine.

9. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Correction: Gibson L-5 is nothing like the narrow bodied, flat topped Les Paul shape with a Brian May type headstock. I could play Bohemian Rhapsody on it in the store and the owner offered me a job as lead guitar player in his band. He smoked dope,which my body can't stand, so I declined. I will find out that model for y'all though.

10. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

I pulled out a spare set of tuners last night to look them over. Seems I have a couple options. I could just put lefts on there and call it a day. I could wind backwards. But it also looks like I might be able to swap out a left post and flip the gear. The problem there might be the bevel on the gear and possibly any asymmetry on the gear profile. I sent an email in to Hipshot, maker of my tuners, to ask them the same question. I'll post back with what they say, but I might just get two single left hand tuners and give that a shot...

11. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

OK, I had to search for your Supernova thread... : https://www.tdpri.com/threads/supernova-my-take-on-a-tele.770717/page-5#post-9345115

Your tuners are working as they should, but the strings are not pulling straight. You are looking for one of a kind reverse tuners...

Why don’t you relocate the tuners where they should be, that is: lower on the headstock? Plug the holes, put a nice veneer or paint and do it right.

12. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

There is actually insufficient space to relocate them. That and I would rather get/modify two one-off tuners for this build than plug and redrill.

13. rigid650

rigid650 Tele-Meister

matmosphere likes this.
  14. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

Too bad for the lack of space.

I hope Hipshot can do something for you.

15. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

The treble side regular Hipshots would work, the tabs on the back would just face the opposite direction. I could probably live with that. I didn't install the screws, so no holes to worry about there.

16. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

How about those screwless tuners with the 2 pins. Minimal footprint and you never break or lose the screws ( the latter being a major problem for a sloooow builder like me :D)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.