OPINIONS WANTED - Reverb Tele body

JPLambert3642

TDPRI Member
Hi boys and girls,

Just bought a body of Reverb to a canadian Reverb shop, and I truly think the item is NOT what I'm paying for.

https://reverb.com/item/46873576-telecaster-telecaster-body-2021-black

Stated in the description : made by a well known manufacturer. Nothing else stated. After discussion, I've been told that it had been crafted in JAPAN at the same factory that makes ESP guitars, which I highly doubt.

The neck joint is suspicious. Same weird route cut, same white foam as the cheap bodies we can have for 100$CAN on Ebay. Of course, they wouldn't tell me where it comes from, stating that the company wouldn't want that. I smell a rat.

I paid 325$ for it, thanks to the double binding craving. Originally listed at 375$. I truly think I got ripped off.

Obviously, it had a No Return clause, unless the item was not as described, which is what I'm gonna be fighting for.

https://reverb.com/item/46816642-telecaster-double-bound-body-semi-loaded-gloss-black
Here's another link from, surprise, another canadian shop, also stating a well known manufacturer, but from Indonesia.

Your take on it? I need your help, fellows.

telebody1.jpg
telebody2.jpg
telebody3.jpg
telebody4.jpg
telebody5.jpg

Resojazznblues

Tele-Meister
Where are the string ferrules in the body you bought? They are missing, unlike the one in the other sellers pic. No inspection dates, no stamp of origin/company. Both bodies look identical. It looks like false advertising. Where is documented proof it is what they say it is? Why would a reputable company risk their business to build and sell a few guitar bodies on the side? I wouldn't trust them.

Telekarster

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
First of all, welcome man! You've come to the right place for questions that's for sure.

Per the listing - "I have these bodies made for me from a seasoned guitar company in Indonesia."

JPLambert3642

TDPRI Member
There you have it all.

Attachments

• DaVinci_body2.jpg
    DaVinci_body2.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 42
  • DaVinci_policies.jpg
    DaVinci_policies.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 46
  • DaVinci_SeasonedManufacturer.jpg
    DaVinci_SeasonedManufacturer.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 40
  • Ebay_body2.jpg
    Ebay_body2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Ebay_body1.jpg
    Ebay_body1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Ebay_body3.jpg
    Ebay_body3.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 41
  • Phils_Discussion1.jpg
    Phils_Discussion1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Phils_Discussion2.jpg
    Phils_Discussion2.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Phils_KnownManufacturer.jpg
    Phils_KnownManufacturer.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 41
  • PhilsBoutique_policies.jpg
    PhilsBoutique_policies.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 45

JPLambert3642

TDPRI Member
Well whatever it is, at the very least it's clearly not a 325,375 or 390$ body nor a custom specs Japanese body crafted at ESP factory.

I'm already dealing with Reverb to get refunded. Of course, the guy has a no return policy. Why would you have a no return on a brand new 390 body?

Smelling a rat.

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
Fender never have that weird neck pocket carve.

https://stratosphereparts.com/fende...ster-deluxe-tele-body-hardware-nitro-white-1/

Fender sometimes utilizes that neck pocket carve. I think it was pretty common during the CBS days. It's a way to be able to have more room to pull the neck left or right to make the strings line up better. I think they did it this way so they could be a bit more sloppy with their tolerances, but I'm not 100% sure on that...just something I half remember reading years ago.

So that fact alone doesn't discount that it's not Fender, but I think the rest of his listing makes it pretty clear that it's made in Indonesia. Does the listing you bought from specify that? If not I'd use that as grounds to return it.

_MementoMori_

Friend of Leo's
I could see how that weird route would give you wiggle room to align the neck better. It's kinda cool, actually, but once the neck was installed nice and straight I wouldn't want it there anymore.

Sax-son

Tele-Afflicted
I wouldn't touch that thing with a ten foot pole. There are so many bodies of equal quality out there on the net that don' have that worry.

JPLambert3642

TDPRI Member
https://stratosphereparts.com/fende...ster-deluxe-tele-body-hardware-nitro-white-1/

Fender sometimes utilizes that neck pocket carve. I think it was pretty common during the CBS days. It's a way to be able to have more room to pull the neck left or right to make the strings line up better. I think they did it this way so they could be a bit more sloppy with their tolerances, but I'm not 100% sure on that...just something I half remember reading years ago.

So that fact alone doesn't discount that it's not Fender, but I think the rest of his listing makes it pretty clear that it's made in Indonesia. Does the listing you bought from specify that? If not I'd use that as grounds to return it.

Thank you Steve for pointing that out. At least I know that neck pocket can exist.

I still don't think I bought a custom specs Japanese body crafted in a factory crafting ESP guitars.

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
Thank you Steve for pointing that out. At least now I know that neck carve can exist.

I still don't think

Thank you Steve for pointing that out. At least I know that neck pocket can exist.

I still don't think I bought a custom specs Japanese body crafted in a factory crafting ESP guitars.

And I think you're right. Question though...do you have the body already? If so, does it look and feel to be high quality? If it is, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Whether it was made in Indonesia or a custom shop in Japan, if the paint job is good, binding is good, and the specs seem to be in line (bridge placement, neck pocket dimensions, body thickness etc.) then it may just be worth keeping and writing it off as lesson learned. If all of the above is good, it will make a good guitar regardless of where it was made.

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
OK, so why are you all ignoring me and my Post #3!?

Here is a Squier Classic Vibe in a burst. But they did make an FSR in Black AS I LINKED in post #3. It's exactly the same.

https://reverb.com/item/47145721-squier-classic-vibe-telecaster-squier-3-burst

View attachment 924414

I didn't ignore you. I clicked the link, but without seeing the internal routing I just chalked it up to being a similar black guitar.

Your second picture though more or less proves that what the OP bought is a Squier body. Well done.

OmegaWoods

Tele-Afflicted
Did they misrepresent the product, either in the ad or in your private communications?

Did the seller tell you it was made in Japan?

The neck joint is clearly visible in the Reverb ad.

It's likely you bought exactly what you think you bought, a knock off body from Indonesia or China. Hopefully, you can convince Reverb that they misled you in some way and you can get your money back but I wouldn't count on it.

Thank you for sharing this cautionary tale about buying things sight unseen from a potentially shady dealer on Reverb. It's always good to be reminded to do one's homework before purchasing online.

TeleUpNorth

Tele-Meister
I bought a body from China early this year with the same thing. I think there is a big factory putting out these double bound bodies. Granted, mines was around $180 shipped. It turned out to be a very resonant body. Everything fit exceptionally well. It plays phenomenally. Once you put it together you don’t see it.

I won’t argue the seller you bought from seems a bit shade, but it doesn’t mean it’s not a decent body. That same body from Warmoth would be much more.

Heres mine:

Attachments

• 90548BCF-5760-4E8C-AF20-FE6AA7AB8627.jpeg
    90548BCF-5760-4E8C-AF20-FE6AA7AB8627.jpeg
    382.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 7853FBBF-354F-496D-90C7-33441C177A03.jpeg
    7853FBBF-354F-496D-90C7-33441C177A03.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 44