1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Opinions sought!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by 41144, Feb 7, 2018.

1. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Hi ... I'm in the fortunate position of having a guitar bought for me, which I'm seeing as a bit of a free hit.
    I already have an Am. Standard Strat & AV'64 Tele + a few others, inc an Epi LP.

Having .done the rounds of local stores and, wanting to go different to Fender, I'm considering a 2017 or maybe 18 Gibson SG Standard T or a Gretsch G5655T-CB semi ...why? They're not another Fender and I like the feel of both?

So, anyone any opinions on either of those or what would better complement the Strat/Tele, be it Fender or not (I have also looked at Jags and the TvL Jazzmaster)?

What do I play! Mainly blues but also 60s rock/RnB and do have a G&L semi.

Btw - I don't really go for 335 size guitars, currently not gigging but in regular rehearsals with guys I've known for years.

Finally, got to say ...been very disappointed by the range of Gibsons I can try in the "second city".
    Compared to the range of Fenders available the range of Gibsons is laughable! .... Hence my Q.

Cheers ...

savofenno likes this.
  2. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

I suggest looking at semi-hollowbody or hollowbody models - perhaps a Gretsch or Guild.

If you find a 335 to be too large for you, consider a 339. However, I think a 335 is a better choice than a 339. I'm a small guy but I can handle a 335-sized guitar without any problem.

Obsessed and 41144 like this.
  3. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I'm a smaller guy for the most part. But, once I sat down with the 339, I decided it was time for a change. A friend of mine has been wanting to buy my 335 for years and I finally let him have it. That' been almost two years ago and I've had no regrets.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Look for a PRS SE or S2. HH or SS (P90s).
    The 24 will have pickup placement like an SG while the 22 fret versions will have tones more like an LP.

Jakedog likes this.
  5. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Doesn’t Gibson make a 175 that’s like a semi hollow les Paul? Tone of an explorer is really smooth too though, it’s just large. I love mine fwiw.

6. LowThudd

LowThudd Friend of Leo's

7. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

I'd vote SG.

There's something completely resonant about that long-necked, skinny-bodied, pointy-eared *thing*...

They're fierce and fun.

Jakedog and troy2003 like this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

335. You'll get past the unfamiliarity very quickly.

Piggy Stu and JazzboxBlues like this.
  9. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

The Gretsch will probably sound quite different than what you have now. Seems like you have the single coil Tele, Strat thing and humbucker EPI, G&L thing covered. The Gretsch would add something sonically different to your arsenal.

10. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

Have you considered spending the money on an amp instead? A different amp can change things up just as much as a different guitar.

john kleeman and Piggy Stu like this.
  11. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Go Gretsch!

rad1 likes this.
  12. dwh100

dwh100 Tele-Meister

Offset

13. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

14. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

15. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

How 'bout a nice chambered Gretsch Jet?
    They sit in the middle of larger semihollows and Les Pauls.

16. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

GRETSCHJETFIREBIRD_01_1959.jpg

BorderRadio likes this.
  17. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Yamaha revstar, any of them.

TigerG likes this.
  18. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

A proper hollowbody with p90s is what I'd be looking for. You might be surprised how comfortable they become. This goes for 335s as well. You never know it might become your favorite. I am a little biased though!

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  19. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Many thanks to everyone for your replies and, btw, looking at £1-1.2k so about $1500.
    In two weeks time there's a Guitar Show here in Birmingham so hopefully there'll be a better selection and some good deals to be had too.

I did think about another amp, most likely a Princeton or maybe even a DRRI ... but for now I'm quite happy with my Blackstar and Vox.

A hollow-body Les Paul would be just the ticket :cool: , at those prices I'd even trust them to put on a Bigsby that didn't make the thing go out of tune! (btw - not interested in the Epi version).
    (However, that will have to stay on the wish list for now as it's somewhat above the gift level.)

I have tried 339s (some good deals on the Studio models here) but, tbh, prefer the G5655T in that body size - although I know it's not generally seen as a 'blues guitar' but would, of course, be good for other stuff.

I appreciate that a 335 style semi does make sense ... and I do like the look of the Guild Starfire IV (and indeed the M-75), so hopefully there'll be some Guild's at the show as there's no local dealer near me. (Eastman will be at the show (so too Hofner?) and the Starfire IV looks nice - apart from the neck ... ughh!)

I know PRS are highly rated but, for me, I'm afraid there's something about the aesthetic of them that puts me off.

P90s sound good (sorry for the pun there) - one of the SGs I'd like to try is the 2016 Standard T with P90s ... loads of new 2016 Gibbos around ... but no SGs! The other 2 SGs I'm interested in are the 2017 with 57s or this years with 61s. ie Vintage output.

Thanks again for the thoughts/opinions ... watch this space for a post-show progress report/conclusion.

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  20. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted

Are you very opposed to buying used? I'd be inclined to steer you towards an SG (they're awesome), but as you and many others have observed, Gibson's quality in recent years should be a greater source of embarrassment for them than it seems to be. Going back to 2012 or 2013 though. . . there's some good guitars to be found, many of which in excellent condition.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.