Opinions on what resistor values I should use in my 3 way tone toggle switch

Deaf Eddie

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Yes, the grounded legs of the caps are soldered together in my drawing.
Steve Holt's drawing (previous post) works too.

Can't address the buzz, I never had that issue. The other common does NOT need to be grounded in my scheme as it does in Steve's. BUT, if it works for you, then it works for you.

The difference between a .022 and a .047 is going to be subtle - they will both sound dark in this scheme, like, a tone pot on "2" or zero. Swap the .022 for a smaller cap, something in the .005 to .010 range like I suggested to get the tone pot on "8" tone that you wanted. I would NOT use a .10 in this scheme - that's darker than your .047, and way too dark for this (IMHO), it would just leave mud.

toonskeez

Tele-Meister
Thanks all, again. I went at it with the alligator clips, but as there wasn't enough room to get all the alligator clips in there, I just soldered the bits and pieces in place. I tried a couple of different configurations with resistors and caps, but was getting nowhere, as in everything just sounded the same to me. I was getting well pissed off. However during this time, I realized the buzzy noise was only happening when the middle pup phase switch was flipped one way. When I flipped it to the other position, buzz went away. I guess in one of it's phase positions, it's not working well with the neck and bridge pups; I dunno. That buzziness might not be as bad once all the controls are inside the guitar, as I've shielded the inside of the ride side of the guitar, where all the controls will be.
As I had no luck trying all the different resistor and cap configurations, I went back to your diagram @Deaf Eddie
two caps on the two left lugs, top and bottom. Left three lugs are untouched. I went with a .022 and .047 cap and grounded each one separately to back of a volume pot. This was the first time I actually noticed a discernible difference in tone between the three settings, so I decided, f*ck it, that's good enough for me.
Then I started trying to delicately transfer all the components in through the F hole, with the aid of dental floss... no effing chance in hell I was going to get in all in there, so... decided I'm gonna route for rear access and make a control panel plate out of wood. All good though, just be a few more days till I get to play her.

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
Thanks all, again. I went at it with the alligator clips, but as there wasn't enough room to get all the alligator clips in there, I just soldered the bits and pieces in place. I tried a couple of different configurations with resistors and caps, but was getting nowhere, as in everything just sounded the same to me. I was getting well pissed off. However during this time, I realized the buzzy noise was only happening when the middle pup phase switch was flipped one way. When I flipped it to the other position, buzz went away. I guess in one of it's phase positions, it's not working well with the neck and bridge pups; I dunno. That buzziness might not be as bad once all the controls are inside the guitar, as I've shielded the inside of the ride side of the guitar, where all the controls will be.
As I had no luck trying all the different resistor and cap configurations, I went back to your diagram @Deaf Eddie
two caps on the two left lugs, top and bottom. Left three lugs are untouched. I went with a .022 and .047 cap and grounded each one separately to back of a volume pot. This was the first time I actually noticed a discernible difference in tone between the three settings, so I decided, f*ck it, that's good enough for me.
Then I started trying to delicately transfer all the components in through the F hole, with the aid of dental floss... no effing chance in hell I was going to get in all in there, so... decided I'm gonna route for rear access and make a control panel plate out of wood. All good though, just be a few more days till I get to play her.

That'll be nice. With a back access panel you'll be able to get everything completely in place and then test capacitor combinations to your hearts content.

toonskeez

Tele-Meister
I finally got it all wired up, routed out space for a control panel, made one and it's all done and sounds good.
Everything works as it should. Only thing I'll change is get rid of the .047 cap (just sounds like mud). I'll probably put a .015 cap in it's place. The .022 cap sounds good when used with overdrive, especially in positions 2 and 4. The middle pup is obviously quieter than the humbuckers, so I had to raise it's height up a bit to try compensate, but it's still slightly too quite. I might get a high output single coil pup and put it in there at some point in the future. One small issue I have, is that when I have the middle pup out of phase with the two humbuckers, it buzzes if I touch it. Don't know if this is to be expected or not. This doesn't happen when it's in phase with other two pups.
One other small issue, is that when I use positions 2 and 4 AND the middle pup is in phase with the two humbuckers, the sound is slightly darker than I would like. I'm guessing this is because the signal is traveling through two volume pots, as opposed to just one?
If this is the case, I guess I could swap the middle pup 250k volume pot for a 500k volume pot (or even 1meg) to try get a tad more brightness in positions two and four.
Here's some pics:

Attachments

• 20221121_115219.jpg
    20221121_115219.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20221122_100242.jpg
    20221122_100242.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20221122_100044.jpg
    20221122_100044.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221122_100002.jpg